TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Tacoma on 01/15/07, it's my second Toyota (my first was an 85 4x4 pickup - last of the solid axles! - that I bought new in 1985 and, sadly, wrecked in 1986 :( ) Both my 85 and my "new" '04 are white, both had 5 speeds, but that is where the similarity ends. My new one is an SR-5 X-cab, has all the options I want (AC, Cruise Control, multiple power points) and none of the ones I don't (power windows, power doors, remote entry) so I'm pretty happy. Has a bit more mileage than I wanted (42k) but hey - it's a Toyota!, so I'm sure it's good for at least 150k without any serious problems!

Anyway, I've been a big admirer of the Tacoma for years and finally figured out a way to get my hands on one! I've been a fairly mild 4-wheeler since I got my first vehicle (a 1957 IHC Travelall 4x4) in 1979 but I mostly got the Taco as a camping/exploring vehicle. IOW, no lifts, 33" tires or SAF conversions are in the works for me. :rolleyes:

I do, however, like to get off the beaten path and explore areas that you need a 4x4 to get to.

Anyway, my last "real" 4x4 was a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, which I had for 7 years and put about 125k on. However, I didn't do that much serious off-roading because most of the time I lived in Eastern North Carolina (Fort Bragg.) The one place I've wanted to go ever since I saw it on a map was Medano Pass over the Sangre de Cristos in Southern Colorado.

So my question is - what is the Medano Pass trail like? I've been over Tincup (on my '85,) Mosquito, and a few other 4wd-only passes in CO but the Sangre de Cristos look pretty brutal when viewed from the Arkansas valley! Can a non-lifted, non-winch-carrying, Open-diff equipped truck tackle this pass without too much difficulty (obviously after the snow melts - I'm sure it's under 10' of snow right now!) Another place in the Sangre de Cristos that has piqued my interest is Blanca Peak, at the Southern tip of the range that runs between Salida and Alamosa. I know there is a 4wd road that goes to the top, but from what I've heard it's pretty gnarly. :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and find out who knows about Medano Pass and Blanca Peak.

Also, if anyone is looking for a toolbox, I'm trying to get rid of mine. I posted an ad in the "for sale" section. I need to get a camper shell (which I also posted an ad about :eek: ) so the toolbox has to go.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You would have no problems at all.

Here's a trip thread from a trip I've taken over Medano Pass. I'm in the blue 85.
http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97

Easy trail. I've had my 85 Toyota loaded to the gills with camping gear and made it no problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Blanca is a tough trail. At the very least you would need 33's, rear locker, lots of armor, somebody with a winch.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links, folks. This being the first true 4x4 I've owned in 8 years, I'm excited about it (in 1999 I traded my tired Montero for a 2wd Ford Ranger because I was in school and all I really needed was reliable transportation. Then in 2003 I traded the Ranger for an AWD Subaru Outback, figuring that I wanted something that got decent MPG and could carry passengers.)

I'm already starting to put together a list of trails I want to hit this Summer. Medano and Hayden are at the top of the list, as is Mt. Bross.

Finally got a few daylight pics, so here she is in full "snow camouflage" mode!

As soon as I get rid of the toolbox I'll be looking for a shell (topper) so I can turn this truck into my 4-wheeled, hardtop tent!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hey Martin, welcome to CoTTORA. I look forward to meeting you on an upcomming run! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts