TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just picked up a '97 Tacoma with 72K and the V-6/5spd. I am just wondering if there are any serious matters with this truck that I should be aware of. I know Toyota stands for extra quality so I don't expect I'll be doing much more than changing the oil and basic stuff. Anyhow, any and all advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ha thats a question you might want to ask b4 purchase. But good buy! congrats and welcome, take care of her and she will be good to you!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Best advise?
Get a second job to support your new hobby!:D

Sounds like you got a low mile rig! Good deal!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really plan on wheelin mine as I burned out on that during my Jeepin days. Now all my off-roading is done on a KTM 450!! Anyhow, I was just curious if there are items on these that I should be aware of and look into anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
A few of the earlier 95.5-97 3.4L V6s were known to have headgasket issues. The problem was not as systemic as with the earlier 3.0 V6s, though. Just something to watch for.

Another issue are the rear leaf springs. The 95.5-97 rear leaf packs are different than the 98-04 leaf packs. They usually come with 2 leaf springs and an overload, and a few have been known to break. FWIW, the 98-04 leaf packs are a little longer (and I don't believe they fit 95.5-97 Taocs) and come with 3 leaf springs and an overload. Just another thing to look for.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Head gasket issues, WOW you would have thought Toyota would have gotten a handle on this problem by now. I bought this truck with the thought in mind that I would not have to worry about majore repairs like that, ugh. Oh well, if it happens it happens and at that point I will deal with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts