TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone, I'm a relatively new owner of an '02 double cab TRD. It's time for my first service, and I have a question for you guys. I bought the truck certified used, and I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that all the fluids are good to go and it's ok to just have them change the oil and do the usual inspections, or, since I don't know the vehicle's history, if should have should have them change all the fluids just to be safe. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Congrats on your new Tacoma and welcome to TTORA! :)

Regarding your question, I too bought a used truck and changed all the fluids after I purchased it. That way I know exactly when the fluids were changed and when they need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's hit or miss with certifications. When I did them the dealership I worked for often times would not pay for maintance issues such as fluid, only things that were going to explode before it got off their lot or visual defects. I just bought a certified unit and not only had the fluid and spark plugs never been changed but the tech who did the cert never bothered to check for open campaigns and such. The 4WD was also inop. I had my 50J and 4WD repaired elsewhere under warranty. Other things like cig lighter and dome light weren't working, fixed those myself. Regardless, I would go through and check everything and for peace of mind I would do a fluid exchange... :)

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
I doubt the dealership changed the fluids. They might have checked to see if they were all full, but doubt they did a full lube service.

I would change the fluid and start a service interval that you know. I perform the usual 30k maintenance myself right when my truck turns another 30k. I'm actually due for my 30k service in a few more thousand miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is kind of what I was thinking. OK, here's another question. Is there any compelling reason to have the dealership perform the service? I'm inclined to just take it to a reputable indy shop, maybe one that specializes in 4WD.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
n9emz said:
Reminds me I have to look at the manual to figure out how to check the tranny fluid in my truck. Joe's in the same boat with his '07 DC....we looked all over and can't find a dipstick. :D
Your probably running World Service tranny fluid. There is NO dipstick. It is 100k tranny fluid per Toyota and its a PITA to change! :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Rad Red Brick said:
This is kind of what I was thinking. OK, here's another question. Is there any compelling reason to have the dealership perform the service? I'm inclined to just take it to a reputable indy shop, maybe one that specializes in 4WD.
Well depending on how many miles are on the truck it might be simple enough for you to do... unless of course you would rather have someone else do the work... then no, showstop is right, you can have an independent do the work not a dealership. There are plenty of independent shops that specialize in Toyota and or imports. I'd look there to save a few bucks and not let the dealership rape you! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
sexy.taco said:
Your probably running World Service tranny fluid. There is NO dipstick. It is 100k tranny fluid per Toyota and its a PITA to change! :)
:eek:

Awwwww....GTFO. :D

Joe may be pleased to hear that. He bought the week before Xmas and hasn't rolled 900 miles yet. I bought mid-November, have 7K on mine and it's been in the body shop two months. With the crap I'm gonna be putting my truck through after the 15th, I wouldn't trust what's in my tranny for 50K miles, even if it was hay-soos inside handlubing everything with a squirtcan and brush.

Thanks for the info and regards ;)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
sexy.taco said:
Well depending on how many miles are on the truck it might be simple enough for you to do... unless of course you would rather have someone else do the work... then no, showstop is right, you can have an independent do the work not a dealership. There are plenty of independent shops that specialize in Toyota and or imports. I'd look there to save a few bucks and not let the dealership rape you! :)
the first few lines lead me to believe you meant stealership in that last line? LOL.

On the site we refer to them as stealerships instead of dealerships. Not because they do shitty work or that sort of thing, they just always have such a high price on most things!

·
Registered
115 Posts
It probably depends where you bought it from. I bought an 02 Runner certified last April w/ 54k. The dealer I got it from had just done the 60k mile service when it got traded in, they gave me the receipt and what not. They had done the oil, tranny, just pan not flush, plugs and coolant. I drove it for a few months and put Mobil 1 in the motor as well as the front and rear diff and I did MT-90 in the xfer case. I'll leave the coolant until 85-90 but I may have the tranny flushed this summer. If they did fluids I see no reason to change them, if you're not sure then swapping everything might be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
being a tech I have problems with the work I have seen leave shops and I am usually inclined to go through and do everything again to know it was done right... but that really is just my personal preference :)

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
the first few lines lead me to believe you meant stealership in that last line? LOL.

On the site we refer to them as stealerships instead of dealerships. Not because they do shitty work or that sort of thing, they just always have such a high price on most things!
Stealerships? LMAO! I NEVER thought of that! Man, you got me going this morning! :D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:

REALLY I didn't know that! :eek:

but ok honey, whatever you say... I haven't been around here long enough apparently to understand that and off course disregard the fact I worked for a Toyota dealership for 4 yrs... next you'll be telling me it's a SAC not SAS... and then I will tell you I could really care less. Would you like to continue to play this game with me, because I haven't been in that type of mood all week :cool:

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
blown4runner said:
REALLY I didn't know that! :eek:

but ok honey, whatever you say... I haven't been around here long enough apparently to understand that and off course disregard the fact I worked for a Toyota dealership for 4 yrs... next you'll be telling me it's a SAC not SAS... and then I will tell you I could really care less. Would you like to continue to play this game with me, because I haven't been in that type of mood all week :cool:
Well technically it IS a SAC. Unless you had an axle in there to begin with, then you can say you "swapped" it. Damn Noobs :p

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
rubberpants said:
Well technically it IS a SAC. Unless you had an axle in there to begin with, then you can say you "swapped" it. Damn Noobs :p
Actually technically I have 2 axles in there right now... :lmao:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rad Red Brick said:
What's up everyone, I'm a relatively new owner of an '02 double cab TRD. It's time for my first service, and I have a question for you guys. I bought the truck certified used, and I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that all the fluids are good to go and it's ok to just have them change the oil and do the usual inspections, or, since I don't know the vehicle's history, if should have should have them change all the fluids just to be safe. Thanks! :)
How many miles on it? As for the 100k tranny fluid thing, BMW called theirs lifetime fluid and they were right! After the fluid wore out the tranny died. i'd change it sooner thatn 100k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts