TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Last week I bought a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 with the 5 speed and 2.7 engine. Seems like a really solid truck with 81k on the clock right now - but it has a rattle that I'm trying to figure out.

It happens when the rpms get up a bit - initially I was just about positive that it was a heat shield. I crawled underneath the truck today and the shields by the cat and muffler seem to be firmly in place, which has me kinda stumped. :confused: None of the sxhaust pipes/clamps seemed to have any play in them either.

Any ideas? When I'm driving it sounds like it's behind the cab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like one piece of metal hitting another piece of metal - like a loose heat shield tapping the muffler or something.

Only happens when the rpms are getting up close to where you would shift into the next gear.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had a similar rattle a while back and it was gasket around the front of the cat. Just check all your gaskets when it is running to feel for air and then you can at least eliminate that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i had a 98 5 lug tacoma with the 2.4 and it had a weird rattle too....turned out to be that the heat shield around the exaust manifold was cracked and making the noise. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
A rattle is really something nobody on a computer is going to be able to help you with that is 500 miles away. The only thing you can do is lay up under your truck and try and pinpoint it the best you can. If it only does it a certain rpm range then have someone hold it at that range and crawl underneath and try and pinpoint it. But all I can say is sometimes it is really hard to pinpoint a sound from the drivers seat, cause for a long time my rear brakes were making a whinning sound when I let out on the brake, but i could have swore it was the driverside rear, but it actually turned out to be the passenger rear when I had somebody else mash the brake while I walked around the truck. So I hope you find it once you do if you are having trouble fixing it then maybe we can help you there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts