TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of you know and have seen pics but for those who don't I traded away the Tacoma. New truck is a 85, 22re, 5 speed, single 4.7 case, ruf, 63's, exo ect, ect....southern truck, rust free. It needs some fine tuning but it a whole lot more capable than the Tacoma

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
you said the truck is much more capable, so are you saying the only draw back is the driver? LOL

you need to bring it down to Indiana for the Redbird run to hone in the "fine tuning"

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Yea yea! Keep it up. We'll see who's laughing if you come down to redbird!

How ya do'n buddy? Haven't talked in a while

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some longs for it, I was gonna go with the nitro gear shafts due to the lower price and the but I scored the longs brand new from an idividual for only 25$ more which was a no brainer.

Next up is arp's, 5th stud, and trunion bearing eliminator.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got a noob question. I have no real experience with toyota solid axles as far as rebuilding. My longs are suppose to be here tomorrow. When I put them in what do I pack with grease, what dont i, any other tips? When I took it apart there was grease everywhere. I used the "camo" method to get it apart so I dont have to mess with the wheelbearings or anything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
when i did mine i packed all my bearings when going back together and packed the ball as full as i could i believe there are some fairly detailed instructions that come with longs.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine are second hand new from someone who bought them but didnt use them so I dont know if I will get instructions lol

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
knuckle housing and all bearings are grease. There is a axle seal right where the axle meets the ball. There shouldn't be gear oil in the ball.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started putting it back together last night....i cant get the darn things to fit in the ball....i clearanced the housing a bunch but they still hit. I guess I am gonna have to break down and fully disassemble the knuckle assembly so I can use the spindle to help check clearance.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I know Joe's were tight and I mean tight. We had to rock them up and down a bit and some grunting to get them in. I had a heck of a time but finally found the sweet spot and they popped in.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They go in but rub once they are inside. My issue is that having all the outer stuff assembled I dont know exactly where they should sit. Gonna have to tear it down and go from there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I popped the outer apart from the inner, started the inner in the center section, then popped the outer on. You have to have the rotation just right and it all has to be seated back before it will rotate all the way around in the knuckle. It should fit without that much grinding. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its together....i am gonna order a trunion bearing elim kit, arp studs for the knuckle, and bobby's 5th stud setup here somewhat soon and tear it down completely and rebuid it all. I am learning from Joe's hardships lol

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I am learning from Joe's hardships lol
So am I. That is why I am sticking with my 35s. :D

1 - 20 of 163 Posts