TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to need new rotors for my 98 on the next brake job. The local auto parts store sells premiums for about $50 each.

Is there really any reason to go beyond this?
I looked at performance slotted rotors and their not all that much more but are they really any better? Also, what about turning those rotors? I never run down to the metal but you still have to clean them up, right?

Pads are a different story of course.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's possible to have your old rotors turned. It just depends on how many times they have already been turned. If you take them to have them done, they can measure them and tell you. I replaced my front pads last week and had my rotors turned for the second time with no problem.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you cannot turn slotted rotors. i bought the premium rotors and pads from carquest and i am not impressed with them. I normally warp my rotors relatively quick, and i think that these will need replacing alot quicker than the stockers becuase they feel weak. when i change them again, i am going to go with brembo rotors and hawk pads. that seems to be the best to go with from what i have seen and heard.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm going to need new rotors for my 98 on the next brake job. The local auto parts store sells premiums for about $50 each.

Is there really any reason to go beyond this?
I looked at performance slotted rotors and their not all that much more but are they really any better? Also, what about turning those rotors? I never run down to the metal but you still have to clean them up, right?

Pads are a different story of course.
You should be able to turn your factory rotors at least once. If you got, let's say 100K out of the OE set up, why change it? The new rotors aren't like the old ones from the pre 90's. You could turn them 3 X's. 30, 60, 90 thousandest. Now day once, maybe twice.
Heres a thread covering your question also:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63604

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, should have gave more info -

My truck has 110k on it and I think I have done the brakes myself 3 times, with a cleanup turning of the rotors each time. I think the last time I did them the guy told me I was barely in spec but I have a caliper and can check them before I go off half cocked.

I have always used Toyota pads because in the past I have found that the low end replacements don't last nearly as long.

My current pads are OK, the problem I have is a low speed shimmy while braking. Interestingly braking at high speed is OK but at about 5-10mph approaching a stop there's an annoying shimmy in the steering wheel. It's quite pronounced, about 2" or so measured on the steering wheel rim.

I think I know what caused it, when I changed the pads last time my brain stopped working for a few seconds and I lowered the truck with my floor jack suddenly before I put the tire on. One rotor hit the ground pretty hard and I'm thinking it got bent.

I know what your going to say, why do they even let me out of the house? And of course you don't know me, but I have done every brake job on my car for at least 15 years now so it's not like I'm new at this.

Anyhow, the shimmy is more annoying than anything but if I'm right about the rotor it's time for some new ones. Based on some other posts I'll probably go ahead with the brembos.

Hopefully this won't end up in the bonehead of the week section!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts