TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hours of searching I'm asking for help. My wife is currently in negotiations for a job on Lanai; if things go the way we are expecting I will be shipping my 85 pickup from California (company has paid more than she - truck not wife :) - is worth to ship her from CA to GA then from GA to PR and then from PR to CA in the last 5 years so I figure I can't give her up now :) ). I've been doing a lot of reading about the inspection process. My rear bumper measure out at 31" and bottom of the horizontal bar on my front bumper is at 42" (but the front frame rail is only 29"). I'm also planning on doing the garden edging fender flare mod before it leaves CA.

Questions:
- Do I have a chance of passing?
- Is it a big deal on Lanai (most of what I'm reading seems to be geared toward Oahu)?
- Will I have to do recon and if so where would I need to take it?
- Is there a checklist I could get before I move so I can do whatever modifications I need to before I pack up my whole shop?
- Are rust holes in body panels a problem?

Any advise would be super helpful.

See a bunch more photos in my build thread

·
Hawaii's Damage Control
1,026 Posts
Lanai has no recon inspection, that shit is only on Oahu, and I doubt they are very strict about safety's there. Your best bet is to plan for mud flaps and the garden edging to pass safety. Make sure all your lights work, no CEL, front window tint is lighter than 30%, wipers work, and other basic stuff that makes a car reliable.

When you get there, just ask a local brudda that has a lifted truck what they look for and where to go.

The best piece of advice I can give you is have a smile on your face and be humble, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Just read through your build; really like how you integrated the front fenders into the exo.

I kinda figured I was freaking over nothing (I just have a pathological attachment to my truck). Having lived on a small island before I get the "be humble" thing. I was not concerned at all until I saw this guy trying to sell his truck on Lanai CL and noted in the listing that it "Has two years back Tax. . . about $700. Just need to pass safety. . . Sitting about 1.5" too high in rear."

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/4283492292.html

Is it the kind of thing where you can pass by the station with your vehicle and they will tell you what to fix before they officially fail you or is it a "get flagged" as soon as you walk through the door situation (I know you can't speak for Lanai, but just generally)? I have dealt with both scenarios while trying to get her to pass smog in CA :rolleyes:

·
Hawaii's Damage Control
1,026 Posts
Thanks!

It's tough to say why that truck can't pass safety, it could be falling apart and they felt bad for him and just told him the bumper was too high. He could have also been building it for the last two years and couldn't get it registered because it was in pieces. The way the new safety law is written, you get pics taken and everything is electronic. If you fail at one station every station can see that. I don't know for sure if Lanai got the new system already or if they are exempt because of the small population.

Worst case you have to modify your bumpers or something else rather simple.

·
Registered
507 Posts
some places don't pass home made bumpers or must prove it was done by certified welder.
if problems with rust, just duct tape em. Not supposed to have sharp edges protruding from vehicle.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
My friend just passed on Kauai with Swampers sticking out 6" past the flares.

Maybe it won't be as hard as thought for the outer island guys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My friend just passed on Kauai with Swampers sticking out 6" past the flares.

Maybe it won't be as hard as thought for the outer island guys.
Swampers sticking out 6 inches? Inspector must have rear photo with iPad a "certain way" to fool auto inspection website???:confused::eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I'm on Lana'i now (for the next 8 days then back to Cali till mid May when I will be making the final move and shipping the truck). Saw some stupid tall trucks on Maui with lots of tire showing, which makes me feel a lot better, although locals here are telling me that the island police are super strict cause they nothing better to do...

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm on Lana'i now (for the next 8 days then back to Cali till mid May when I will be making the final move and shipping the truck). Saw some stupid tall trucks on Maui with lots of tire showing, which makes me feel a lot better, although locals here are telling me that the island police are super strict cause they nothing better to do...
Get yourself a couple of stickers from the boys. Local custom kind. Not generics.

"Lanai boyz" or that type of thing. If you are part of the local crew and know some people the cops are less likely to pull you over.

PM me. I have friends on Lanai who can take care of you.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
My friend just got denied on the safety. 32 X 11.5 on 3"BS and a 6" Fabtech

Fuck this new law!:mad:

·
Registered
507 Posts
My friend just got denied on the safety. 32 X 11.5 on 3"BS and a 6" Fabtech

Fuck this new law!:mad:
we had to throw my 195/50r15s on 15x8s on my friends sfa taco to pass safety. They failed him with 245/70r16s. lol

been since november since I've had a safety check on my daily driver.:eek:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts