TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. My name is Christian. I don't own a Toyota yet but I will very soon. Right now I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 that i will be getting rid of to get my Toyota. I joined early because I wanted to get some opinions on what to get. I'm stuck between a Tacoma 4wd 4-door TRD Offroad or an FJ Cruiser 4wd(both auto).

Ok where to start? I was leaning more toward the Fj because I have not used the bed of my truck in forever. Actually sometimes to haul other people's crap. I don't have a quad yet but I will in the future and i figure I can get a trailer for it and tow it around. I will also be towing a second car around to the track every now and then. I don't have a family but I like to have the extra space just in case. I do offroad quite a bit. I do anything from trails, sand, and mud pits but I don't like rock crawling too much.

So what do you think I should get. Thanx.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!!

I own a 00 Taco DC Trd, and have hauled & towed a bunch of stuff (both mine and others) over the years and never had any missgivings about having a pickup truck. I do not have a cap for my truck, if I wanted one, I would have gotten the 4Runner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
to have bed or not to have bed that is the question. if you have had a truck and dont use the bed it might be time for a change. i have had personal experience with this before i had my last car i had a dodge dakota and got rid of it bc i didnt use the bed and gas mileage on it blew. a few months down the road i regretted it as i seemed to be constantly borrowing trucks from friends. but if you will have a trailer to haul misc. crap that is a plus.

plus welcome to TTORA, i have only been here a short time and its been real welcoming and helpful.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
plus welcome to TTORA, i have only been here a short time and its been real welcoming and helpful.
Thanx

to have bed or not to have bed that is the question. if you have had a truck and dont use the bed it might be time for a change. i have had personal experience with this before i had my last car i had a dodge dakota and got rid of it bc i didnt use the bed and gas mileage on it blew. a few months down the road i regretted it as i seemed to be constantly borrowing trucks from friends. but if you will have a trailer to haul misc. crap that is a plus.
But the bed on a quad cab is like 5.5ft so why have one at all if its so small.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey guys. My name is Christian. I don't own a Toyota yet but I will very soon. Right now I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 that i will be getting rid of to get my Toyota. I joined early because I wanted to get some opinions on what to get. I'm stuck between a Tacoma 4wd 4-door TRD Offroad or an FJ Cruiser 4wd(both auto).

Ok where to start? I was leaning more toward the Fj because I have not used the bed of my truck in forever. Actually sometimes to haul other people's crap. I don't have a quad yet but I will in the future and i figure I can get a trailer for it and tow it around. I will also be towing a second car around to the track every now and then. I don't have a family but I like to have the extra space just in case. I do offroad quite a bit. I do anything from trails, sand, and mud pits but I don't like rock crawling too much.

So what do you think I should get. Thanx.
Welcome to TTORA!:D

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
what year tacoma are you looking at?!?!

if your looking at a double cab 01-04 bodystyle, you will be shocked how much interior room is in that truck!

I would take a taco any day, because of the much bigger aftermarket and knowledge base

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what year tacoma are you looking at?!?!

if your looking at a double cab 01-04 bodystyle, you will be shocked how much interior room is in that truck!

I would take a taco any day, because of the much bigger aftermarket and knowledge base
Bran new.

I think I'm going for the taco because of the bed.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Bran new.

I think I'm going for the taco because of the bed.
i promise you this is a wise choice! I would take one any day over an FJ! I'm sure you will love the 4.0L V6, as its quiet powerful. There is a very big aftermarket for them, and many people on the site will be able to help you with problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i promise you this is a wise choice! I would take one any day over an FJ! I'm sure you will love the 4.0L V6, as its quiet powerful. There is a very big aftermarket for them, and many people on the site will be able to help you with problems.
Thanx man. Now to get the truck. Anyone want a Ranger? LOL I'm sure I'm going to take a $1500 hit off of the Ranger. All well. It will be for a better vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi there, I just joined the forum myself. I have a FJC and am loving it. Was at the Las Vegas Toyota Owners Event and was told by Toyota that the FJ is currently the most capable stock offroading vehicle that Toyota has. That was from Toyota. I'm in Pomona (Garey ave.) so I'm not too far from you. You should go test drive them both and join some events and see if you can catch a ride or something. Atrac and rear lockers really do work miracles (I haven't done the atrac/locker hack yet).

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there, I just joined the forum myself. I have a FJC and am loving it. Was at the Las Vegas Toyota Owners Event and was told by Toyota that the FJ is currently the most capable stock offroading vehicle that Toyota has. That was from Toyota. I'm in Pomona (Garey ave.) so I'm not too far from you. You should go test drive them both and join some events and see if you can catch a ride or something. Atrac and rear lockers really do work miracles (I haven't done the atrac/locker hack yet).

Good luck on your purchase.
Thats really close. I didn't realize there were so many members near by.

I figured it would be more capable but I'd rather have the bed and it wound stay stock for long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.