TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just bought an 01 Tacoma double cab 4x4 trd auto. Need help with pickin out a lift. I would like to fit 31x10.50s or something close to that. What size suspension lift would i need to clear those. Also what brand, or kit is best? I dont do tons of off roading and would like a kit that will handle decent on road. I was thinkin 2 1/2 or 3" but dont know for sure or even where to start. Im used to dealing w explorers and wraglers so im lost.Also i dont want to get into changing gear ratios or drive angle probs so whatever lift is just enough to not give me any probs like that, ill take it!
Also i cant find any 31" tires to fit on my16 inch wheels. All i see are like 285/75/r16s. What size would be the equivalent of a 31x10.50 tire?? All the 31s seem to be for a 15 inch wheel when i look on tirerack.com.
So any help with this would be apprec. Part numbers so i dont get the wrong thing and guestimated prices would also be a great help. Thanks, Newbie..Tommy. :confused:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Read the Tech/Faq pages, its an easy to use guide that will tell you all about different types of lifts. Once you have an idea of what lift you would like, then use the search button to research the ones you are interested in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
nice user name :) your truck should have come stock with 31x10.5's if im not mistaken. if you do serious offroading, look into some coilovers for the front and new leafs for the rear. donahoe and sway-a-way are good yet pricy. old man emu has cheaper stuff. you can fit a 33x10.5 tire up front with 3in of lift and some trimming, it will still rub some though. i would guess you have 4.10 gears from your description of your truck. I run 33's with 4.10's and can only tell a little doggedness in the skinny pedal; its worse up hills though. 32's would barely be noticeable. hope this helps. browse the tire section and the suspension section, theres tons of great stuff here.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
If I were you I would consider a slightly larger tire. 31's are usually what comes stock on TRD Tacomas, and you wouldn't have any problem fitting 31's at stock height.

I would recommend Cooper Discoverer STT's. A lot of us around here are running this tire now and they perform AWESOME on and off road, in every type of terrain and condition. They do make them in 265/75 R16 which is a 30.6" x 10.4" tire. But like I said before I would go a little larger if I were you. With a 32" tire you won't have to regear, you'll gain a little ground clearance, it will look and perform better. So my suggestion would be a Cooper Discoverer STT in LT265/75R16 which is almost the equivalent to 31.6".

As far as a lift - If you do a search, you'll see that the best inexpensive lift around is probably ToyTec Lifts. I would suggest a ToyTec/OME 3" lift. You won't be disappointed and you won't empty your wallet either. Doug & Steve (Owners / Operators of ToyTec) are great guys and are TTORA Sponsors.

Here is a picture of my truck with a 3" ToyTec Lift with Cooper Discoverer STT's size: 32" x 11.50" R15.

www.toyteclifts.com
https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Cooper&tirename=Discoverer++STT&season=Regular

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I ran the 265/70/16 super swamper ssr's( actual size was 31.5x10.7) on my 2002 with no lift and mounted on the stock 16 inch rims with no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, i apprec everyones help with this. Im gonna check out Toytec and prob go with their 3" lift and also check out the cooper tires 32x11.50. I have that same size tire on my exploder but went with goodyear MTRs, they are great off road but dont try and stop on wet pavment. Now i just have to gather up the funds for new rims, tires, and lift kit. I wish i could focus on one project at a time like normal people, 4 car and 2 truck projects are not easy on the wallet, fun tho! :welder:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
TACOTOMMY01
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing