TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, bought the Taco in August, 4,000 miles on it, been in for warranty work 4 times, I'm currently in a rental.

1st time: Taco wouldn't start, had to be towed to dealership. They said a wiring harness had fallen off, disabling the ignition. Fixed under warranty.

2nd: Driving down the road, someone cut me off, I hit the horn, nothing happens. I take it in, tell them the horn doesn't work. They say "there is an open circuit in the steering colum". They have to order parts.

3rd: They say parts are in, I bring it in, they keep it for the day, call me up say truck is ready and they threw in a detail. I pick it up, driving off the lot, I see the airbag light is on! Then I check the horn, nothing! Then I see the steering wheel is now pointed at 10'0 clock when I'm driving straight down the road.

4th: I took it back, raised hell, bitched at the service manager. They said the tech, f-ed up, broke the new whatever that he put in, now my airbag is disabled as well, they say do to the holidays they can't get the new part for a week. So my truck is parked at the dealership and I'm driving a stripped rental tacoma that smells like old socks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
i just ate burger king for breakfast.
i haven't eaten burger king breakfast in a long time.
i don't think i like burger king breakfast.
i don't think i'll have burger king brakfast again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Hot Pockets and a leftover grilled BBQ burger here. As good as anything else.

Sucks about the truck dude. At least they're owning up to mistakes and not screwing you over like some people get done. Hopefully this will be the last time you see the dealer for this stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Burger King Breakfast definitely is subpar compared to McDonalds..... Their sausage just isn't to my liking, but when I'm depserate, I eat it none-the-less....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
At least you've got your nice new Tacoma..... I'm still waiting on mine to get here and I swear to GOD if its not here by Thursday, I might murder someones first born w/ a sledge hammer..... Yes, I'm at work right now and I hate all of these stupid fucking humans that come in here!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
Meh, your BK and MickeyD's pale in comparison to my butter toast and scrambled egg sandwich (with a side of home fries and the obligatory bacon.)

I would find another dealer to provide service. Mine does warranty work without batting an eye and does it right the first time. The dealer I bought it from does OK but didn't attempt to really fix a couple of minor issues. Hence, take it to another dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
azrain said:
Meh, your BK and MickeyD's pale in comparison to my butter toast and scrambled egg sandwich (with a side of home fries and the obligatory bacon.)

MMMMMMMMM that does sound rather yummy! That's making me crave waffle house :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,929 Posts
Gee it's starting to sound like the last GM experience I had back in 1981 or so when the lease finally expired. Thank God for small favors.
It seems that the Toyota feeling is starting to feel like that Mr. Goodwrench feeling. That's up yer ass and sideways with no grease. LOL

Since then, I still haven't given GM the opportunity to repeat the offence. It's highly doubtful I ever will.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,929 Posts
I love how people expect to be to be able to make their job a total shambles and for everyone else to just accept it as normal.
I do hope you have the same attitude and expectations when some asshole cuts you wide open on an operating table some time down the road.
I do know one thing for sure. Unless you try and demand the best of yourself, you're not ever going to be worth a shit to anyone for anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
TacoCambo said:
Well, bought the Taco in August, 4,000 miles on it, been in for warranty work 4 times, I'm currently in a rental.

1st time: Taco wouldn't start, had to be towed to dealership. They said a wiring harness had fallen off, disabling the ignition. Fixed under warranty.

2nd: Driving down the road, someone cut me off, I hit the horn, nothing happens. I take it in, tell them the horn doesn't work. They say "there is an open circuit in the steering colum". They have to order parts.

3rd: They say parts are in, I bring it in, they keep it for the day, call me up say truck is ready and they threw in a detail. I pick it up, driving off the lot, I see the airbag light is on! Then I check the horn, nothing! Then I see the steering wheel is now pointed at 10'0 clock when I'm driving straight down the road.

4th: I took it back, raised hell, bitched at the service manager. They said the tech, f-ed up, broke the new whatever that he put in, now my airbag is disabled as well, they say do to the holidays they can't get the new part for a week. So my truck is parked at the dealership and I'm driving a stripped rental tacoma that smells like old socks.
So, when did you realize the horn didnt work? I try every switch, lever, knob, and button before I drive off the lot in the first place... if you didnt shame on you.

As for the repair fiasco, shame on them. I cant believe they would let you drive away with it FUBAR like that... kinda funny though :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I love how people expect to be to be able to make their job a total shambles and for everyone else to just accept it as normal.
I do hope you have the same attitude and expectations when some asshole cuts you wide open on an operating table some time down the road.
I do know one thing for sure. Unless you try and demand the best of yourself, you're not ever going to be worth a shit to anyone for anything.
In defense of Toyotech, comparing an M.D. performing an operation on someone's life is hardly like trying to fix someone's truck. In all fairness, this guy hitting his horn for the first time and having it not work, and the vehicle not starting do not have anything to do with the techs! Ever consider the fact that Toyota has SOME lemons out of the thousands of vehicles they mass produce? While Toyota makes an awesome vehicle, do you really think they're perfect? Anytime you have mass production such as in auto manufacturing, there's ALWAYS going to be a margin of error. However, in both the cases of the M.D. and an auto tech, they both deal with large numbers of people. I don't care who you are, where you studied, or how much experience you have, 100% perfection cannot be maintained ALL the time! Especially when you are in an industry that handles large quantities of people or autos. It's just the simple fact that if an M.D. screws up, the repercussions are much greater. Are you telling us that you've never made a mistake in your profession in your many years?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,929 Posts
Steering wheel put back on crooked, truck more fucked up than when it went in all says to me that someone just doesn't give a damn about their work and the dealership doesn't give a damn by giving to him back to him that way and saying that it was fixed. How in the hell did it get off the lot that fucked up with the horn still not working, the air bag light on and the steering wheel crooked? Does that sound reasonable to you? That is more than a mistake, that is just plain not checking and someone trying to hide something. That is just plain not giving a flying fuck about what they do and is nothing short of trying to steal from the customer.

I've made plenty, if not more than my fair share of mistakes but there was obviously more than one in this case and evidence points to it being habitual not an occasional slip up.

Just jumping to their defence right off the bat just because they are both techs with that kind of shit itself says to me that the standards of workmanship must be pretty fucked up. If the profession itself doesn't demand high standards, who in the hell will?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Steering wheel put back on crooked, truck more fucked up than when it went in all says to me that someone just doesn't give a damn about their work and the dealership doesn't give a damn by giving to him back to him that way and saying that it was fixed. How in the hell did it get off the lot that fucked up with the horn still not working, the air bag light on and the steering wheel crooked? Does that sound reasonable to you? That is more than a mistake, that is just plain not checking and someone trying to hide something.QUOTE]

Let's get one thing straight, I am NOT defending the half ass work that was done to his truck. I agree the tech should have verified his repair prior to the vehicle leaving the shop. The steering wheel hub and steering shaft should have been painted/marked with match marks so the wheel would be installed in the same position it was removed. I'm sure the part that was installed was a spiral cable. To reinforce your view that the tech who installed it was a dumb ass, the damn thing has instructions printed on it!

My issue is, if one tech makes one mistake then all techs are viewed as incompotent and dealers should be avoided like the plague. I take my work very seriously and pride myself in completing my work and presenting myself and my techs in a professional manner. I am the shop foreman at my dealer and we have a relatively small service department with 7 techs plus myself. A dealer's reputation is built on customer satisfaction. If we piss everyone off how can we stay in business? If there is a mistake made then we do whatever it takes to rectify the situation and make the customer happy. The difference between MD's and auto techs is we fix our mistakes, they bury theirs.

Any dealer hiding things won't be in business for long. Each dealer sends out surveys and if a service department gets enough legitimate complaints then changes are made. You never hear about the good work techs do for customers every day. As far my dealer goes, I feel that it's the sales department's job to get Toyota customers, it's the service department's job to keep them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,929 Posts
Maybe if techs quit sticking up for other obviously bad techs it wouldn't be so bad. It's the same situation as cops sticking up for fucked up cops just because they are cops. If anyone is going to be hard on anyone it should be those in the same profession, then maybe things will change. As long as your knee jerk reaction is to defend them, things will only continue to get worse and you will have done as much to earn the band rap as the fucked up tech and dealership did. Maybe even more.
What part of that don't you understand? Good reputations are earned and worked on to maintain, they are not a right. You are owed nothing by the rest of the world. If on the other hand you go into business and charge someone to do something you owe them the best that you can do, no less and no excuse.
Don't think I haven't run a service business either because I have. I ran two of them and quickly built up the reputation of being the best around. It's sad to say but bad reputations like good ones, are typically always earned for very valid reasons.
I think it's fair to say that if anyone treated you the way he was treated, you would be screaming like a stuck pig too. Funny thing how it always works out that way.

Why are there always so many here who think that halfassed is OK until they are the ones paying the bill?

If you techs are always going to be so butt hurt when we bitch about some fucked up work that someone had done to them then why don't you all go off and start a message board somewhere where you can all wallow around in your mediocrity together and fell good about yourselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I'm not sticking up for anyone. This is how all those dealer bashing threads start. And no I wouldn't be screaming just as loud if it was me. Screaming just shows ignorance. It's a shame that those that make the biggest stink get what they want. There is no reason customers and service personnel can't have a trusting relationship, but when people walk through the door with their preconceived notions and stereotypes and then automatically fly off the handle at the slightest thing (no I don't think his particular case is a slight thing). Funny I never see anyone say how good their dealer has treated them.

You may admit to being crazy and not stupid, but you obviously assume the rest of the world is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I just got home and my post spawned some interesting discussion.

Let me clarify something. I realize my problems with truck were from the factory, not the dealer.

But, when I dropped my truck off with a non-working horn and picked it up with a non-working horn, a disabled airbag and a crooked steering wheel, it was the dealers problem.

As for Doctors VS. Service Techs. I'd like to respond. I'm a Firefighter Paramedic. Now thats a far cry from being a Doctor, but, I'm careful as hell NOT to make mistakes when it comes to patient care. I take my job very seriously. Peoples lives are at stake on a regular basis. So, TOYTECHWV, if making mistakes at work is okeedokee as far as you are concerned, you picked the right business! You f-up at work and you just keep someones car longer! I f-up, someone dies and I get sued.

I was just venting some frustration with my new truck, didn't realize it would get nasty in here.......damn (Merry Chrismas!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
When did I say mistakes in my profession was okay?? Don't recall that. I said we do make mistakes, who the hell doesn't. Accept the fact mistakes happen, how the tech and or dealer handles it is the important thing. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top