TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new wheels on tires mounted this morning.

265/75-16 BFG AT's on FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels. I think it looks great! The tires/wheels fit perfect with no evidence of any clearance issues. The stock air pressure sensors also fit the TRD wheels without any problems.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I assume you have to download the pic to a hosting page of some sort...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Let me know when you figure out how to post pic on. I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to photobucket.com and open an account. Then upload your photos to it, then you just check on the photo you want to post, go to the bottom and click on generate url codes or something like that, it will go to a new screen, then copy and paste the code to your reply on a thread. Done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lookin forward to your pics Desertrat. Got 265/75 Nitto TG's waitin at home for me to mount on my taco (less then 20 days left in Asscrackistan!). Pics help ease the pain of waiting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks NICE desertrat! What kind of lift are you thinking about? I'm still trying to unravel the mystery of lifts with this forum. I was thinking of almot a "leveling kit" (I think?) with just OME 885 coils and a 1" AAL, Dont want anything too wild just a mild lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Desert Rat, I just got my set of TRD FJ's last week. The picture of your ride convinces me that I made the right choice in wheel. The only difference is that I'm going with Bridgestone Revos. Did you have to go to Toyota to reprogram your tpms? My local Discount Tire says that Toyota will not give them the codes. If this is true I would hope that the dealer I bought my truck from would be courteous enough to do it for free. I was gonna go the safe route and put 265/70/16's but if you say you have no rubbing issues I think I will go with the 265/75/16's instead. Once again, that picture psyched me out to put them on asap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still deciding on a lift but don't want much over 2 inches. I've also got a JeepTJ for the really serious off-roading here in Arizona and don't want to risk vibration issues with the Taco by lifting it too much. I'm considering the OME set-up from Wheeler's Off Road or a Donahoe lift. I may just leave it the way it is for now.

For the wheeling I've done so far, I haven't had any rubbing issues with the new wheel/tire combo. I've taken it off road, but haven't gone crazy. Like I said, I've got the Jeep for that...

I didn't have to do a thing with the TPMS. DiscountTire switched the sensors from the old wheels to the new FJ TRD wheels and that was it. I don't have any warning lights issues at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks nice! I'm thinking about getting those exact wheels only in anthracite. Did you trim your front mudflaps? Got any closeups?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a couple of closer pics of the wheels/tires.... I trimmed about 2" off both front & rear flaps about a week after getting the truck. They hung down WAY too low. I was wondering if I would have to remove them completely after added the larger tires but they still have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Timbuck...

The new FJ wheels also came with new lugnuts. They were in a small triangular shaped cardboard container in a corner of the box the wheel was packed in.

My old stock lugnuts would have fit, but the overall length of the new FJ lugnuts are about 1/2 - 3/4 inch longer.

I ordered the wheels from my local Toyota dealer. The list price was $150 each, but after a bit of haggling they agreed to a 10% discount ($135). The total price (including tax) was just about the same as anywhere else I could find them on the web (including shipping).

By the way...the parts manager told me that the wheels "would never fit a Tacoma" and that I would not be able to return them. I wonder how many other potential customers here in Tucson he chased away with his ignorance...

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much do the new wheels stick out? In other words how much offset did these push out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new FJ wheels "stick out" somewhere between 1/2" to 1" over the stock wheels. They have either 1/2" or 1" less backspacing. Let me know if you want some more pics from a different angle to get an idea what I mean...

·
Registered
375 Posts
DesertRat...you have no rubbing issues? i'm tryin to figure out what backspacing to get for 265-75's. i may not need to change, but i'm not sure. i've got the bilstein 5100 preload adjustables, running at 1.75" lift setting, which i recommend to you if you don't want to go over 2" of lift. most everyone on here is running 2" or better, so i heve no clearance references.:confused: i hate to buy new wheels that still have rubbing issues. i guess this is an opinion question? input welcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The new FJ wheels "stick out" somewhere between 1/2" to 1" over the stock wheels. They have either 1/2" or 1" less backspacing. Let me know if you want some more pics from a different angle to get an idea what I mean...
Yes please take a picture somewhat flush looking down the side of the truck, this will let us gage how far out them sit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are a couple more pics to give you an idea on how much the FJ wheels stick out. The change isn't really that noticable. They only extend out of the wheel well about 1/2" to 1" over the stock wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Desert rat, got my FJ wheels on today. Went with a 265/75/16 BFG like you. Definitely want a leveling kit or a lift kit soon as they are pretty close when the wheel is turned all the way left or right. Anyway, I got kind of a weird question for you. What kind of valve caps do you have? The ones that the Santa Fe discount tire put on are clear (white), when I asked them about that they said that is what came with the valve rebuild kit. Does it really make a difference for the TPMS as to what kind of valve cap you put on? Anyway, I went with the gun metal gray trd wheels on super white and it looks sweet. Keep us informed if you get a lift or leveling kit. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Timbuck,

The DiscountTire place switched my valve stems/caps/TPMS from my original wheels to the new ones. I don't think it matters much which type/color caps you put on...

I've got a "friend of a friend" who works for Donahoe racing and he is checking into getting me a "discount". I'd love to get a set of Donahoe Coilovers along with a set of Rear Reservoir Shocks. I'd probably then go with Deaver rear springs to finish it off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.