TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..
I looked at a 89 Toyota Extended Cab V6 4X4 the other day with 80k on the clock. I thought I'd ask around to see what I should look for before closing the deal.

Its an 89 w/ 80k on it. Body looks great for an east coaster. Bed not rusted, garage kept, paint in good shape. Never off roaded, all original, original owner, etc. He did however take it in the snow / salt which has corroded the underside somewhat. From what I saw there was minimal surface rust on the frame. The backing plates for the rear drums are pretty corroded and have holes in them. The rear axle looks ok, no leaks etc. Parking brake does'nt work. The cab joints and firewall/fender looks great, no corrosion there. It's just on teh undercarriage.

Is this typical for this year ? What else should I look for. The service records indicate a 60k service but it was only for 270 bucks which Im sure doe'snt cover the waterpump and timing belt replacement. Oil looks clean, as does the coolant, no signs of head gasket issues. Is this where they leak or do they seep somewhere else where I need to look? CV boots and steering linkage looks good. When I turn the wheels to extreme right or left there's a clank. Sounds like the U- joints maybe.

Anywho the body looks great, little bit-o rust.. just want to be sure what to look for exactly before I close the deal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
779 Posts
make sure it has all 4 wheels :eek: welcome aboard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking perhaps it needed to be greased. Are backing plates available from the dealer? I will need those as well as wheel cylinders Im sure. What are the grease points for the drivetrain/chassis ? What does the 60k Yota service call for ? Timing belt/WP inspection or replacement ?

IT does have 4 wheels and they work fine, roll smooth, as does hi/low on the 4WD.. all is good. Just want to make sure im not buying something that will need more than 1k to get it on the road.

The shackle mount points look rusty as well, not rusted through, just some surface pitting. It may need shackles/mounts. Any upgrades I can get for that or should i just get stock replacements. Where's a good place to buy off road parts ? It could use shocks too so I want to upgrade of course.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I woudlnt touch a car with one spot of rust, but thats just me being a spoiled ass californian.

In all honesty, it's pretty hard to mess up a toyota by 80k. Like I said, I'd be more worried about corrosion than mechanical problems... Suspension choice is all up to what you want to do with the truck. Lurk around here (in the Truck and 4runner forum mostly;) ) or other boards and you will find what you need.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the clanking noise on those is usually the rubber stops that stop the steering. They get old and dissaper, leaving a metal to metal clanking noise when turning at full lock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you may find more help in the truck and 4runner thread.

·
Registered
324 Posts
as far as rust is concerned, theres nothing you can do about that, im not sure where exactly you are but rust happens, my 04 already has a ton of surface rust underneath, your only other option is to go to wherever that california dude that would never touch anything with rust on it and get one out there, as far as 60k maintinence the timing (chain) is stronger then a belt so it can be neglected for a while but should be addressed soon, if you dont see any oil around the valve cover or head thats amazing and you should definitaly buy it, eiather way as long as its not much more than $2000
hopfully less, go for it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
, as far as 60k maintinence the timing (chain) is stronger then a belt so it can be neglected for a while but should be addressed soon,
hopfully less, go for it!
pretty sure the 3.0 has a timming belt.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
first off why did you post this in the 4x4 tacoma tech.

Second there was a recall on that year model truck a little while back for I think the ball joints or something like that. I would make sure that the owner as gotten all the recall work done to it. Especcially if it is the V6. If it is a V6 and hasn't had the recall work done, back away slowly and find another truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard about the Head Gasket Recalls. If it has'nt been done will Toyota go ahead and do the headgasket now ? or have I missed the deadline?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
If it hasn't had the recall done then why bother with the truck. They are easy enough to find that will probably be in better shape, althought the low miles is very appealing. But why go thru the hassle of buying and then be burdened with having to get all kinds of work done to it. Just wondering but how much is the owner asking for it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yeah first off the 89 is not a Tacoma (although a lot of people mistakingly call them that) that model is listed most places as a "Toyota truck (except T-100 & Tundra)", and most of these Taco guys don't know much about them. Post up in this section: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

The 3.0 V6 has a timing belt and the service interval is 60,000 miles, if it was changed there should be a sticker on the timing belt cover with the mileage and date of service (look under the spark plug wires for it).

The 89 wasn't covered on the head gasket recall because it had the good asbestos gaskets that didn't have much of any problems.

There is a recall for the steering relay rod and you may want to have that done, although some say the old rods were better than the new ones Toyota is putting on (the new ones bend instead of breaking). Here's an 18 page discussion about the relay rod recall:
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=66901

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy was asking 3900. I told him he was smokin something. I offered him 3200. I wish I had pics to show you guys. Anywho I have someone who knows more about them looking at it Monday so I told him to look at the headgasket, timing belt and all that jazz. I wont buy the car if the guy tells me its gonna need the work. I'd rather save the money and just buy something of a little later year that's got no issues.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buying 89 Pickup what to look for ?

Hello all.. I posted this in another forum as well..

I looked at a 89 Toyota Extended Cab V6 4X4 the other day with 80k on the clock. I thought I'd ask around to see what I should look for before closing the deal.

Its an 89 w/ 80k on it. Body looks great for an east coaster. Bed not rusted, garage kept, paint in good shape. Never off roaded, all original, original owner, etc. He did however take it in the snow / salt which has corroded the underside somewhat. From what I saw there was minimal surface rust on the frame. The backing plates for the rear drums are pretty corroded and have holes in them. The rear axle looks ok, no leaks etc. Parking brake does'nt work. The cab joints and firewall/fender looks great, no corrosion there. It's just on teh undercarriage.

Is this typical for this year ? What else should I look for. The service records indicate a 60k service but it was only for 270 bucks which Im sure doe'snt cover the waterpump and timing belt replacement. Oil looks clean, as does the coolant, no signs of head gasket issues. Is this where they leak or do they seep somewhere else where I need to look? CV boots and steering linkage looks good. When I turn the wheels to extreme right or left there's a clank. Sounds like the U- joints maybe.

Anywho the body looks great, little bit-o rust.. just want to be sure what to look for exactly before I close the deal. Any help would be appreciated.

Im getting conflicting advice about the headgasket recall issue.. that mine was not affected for 89 3VZE engine. Is this indeed true ? This may sway my decision from buying it heavily so I need to be 100% sure...

Thanks !

·
Registered
324 Posts
i was ass-u-me-ing it was a 22-re only way to go dont waste time or money with an old 3.0. even $3200 is too high

1 - 16 of 16 Posts