TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice/opinions appreciated from a beach newbie. (2000 2.7l, 5 sp., stock 4x4, 265/70/15's). Is 17 LBS. normal air down for sand? Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i air down to 10psi. make sure you keep your momentum and dont turn too fast or you'll roll a bead

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
agroal said:
Any advice/opinions appreciated from a beach newbie. (2000 2.7l, 5 sp., stock 4x4, 265/70/15's). Is 17 LBS. normal air down for sand? Thanks all.
17 is way too high for sand. Start at 10 and keep going down if you find yourself getting stuck. Out at Pismo I run about 6.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
17lb would be better to learn on....YOTracer is right. At 10 psi, you're gonna roll a bead, or WORSE, 2 of em. Remember to resist the urge to stop really hard completely. ALWAYS roll out of the last little bit to keep the tires up& out of a pit. Try to NEVER turn the wheels a lot when stopping, or starting. Keep them tracking straight until you learn how much is too much. And, though your girlfriend may not like it if she is in back of the truck, Alottle throttle can result in a little momentum. Better to be smooth, and bring a shovel, for sure!!! And a tow strap. BUT, if you don't have much metal muscle-{ stock tires and engine} don't get real heroic and try to tow out someone else, ESPECIALLY if it is a fullsize rig. You will instantly have 2 stuck trucks.
The one exception.... Big boobs. I say give it a shot, you have my blessing. PLUS, once you are both stuck....HEHEHE!!!!

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
agroal said:

What beach you going too? It really depends on the time of year. All the rain we have had latley, the sand is usualy pretty hard.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i ran at 4 psi at pismo and never rolled a bead!

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
agroal said:
After what rojodiablo said I change my mind
It also depends on your wheel/tire combination. If you have a wider tire on a skinny wheel, you will have less of a chance of losing the bead.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
agroal said:
8 psi of air for sand is about right. When you start going lower, at least in my case with 15x8 wheels, and 32's A/T's, that's when I can start popping beads. Stay between 8 - 10 and you should be OK. Try not to make fast turns...

And if at the beach, when you air up, try and spray wash you belly of your truck. Spray everything down, because the salt is the devil.

Good luck.

AzHobbes

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Mcadwell said:
i ran at 4 psi at pismo and never rolled a bead!
yea, but you always baby your truck out there :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
rojodiablo said:
17lb would be better to learn on....YOTracer is right. At 10 psi, you're gonna roll a bead, or WORSE, 2 of em. Remember to resist the urge to stop really hard completely. ALWAYS roll out of the last little bit to keep the tires up& out of a pit. Try to NEVER turn the wheels a lot when stopping, or starting. Keep them tracking straight until you learn how much is too much. And, though your girlfriend may not like it if she is in back of the truck, Alottle throttle can result in a little momentum. Better to be smooth, and bring a shovel, for sure!!! And a tow strap. BUT, if you don't have much metal muscle-{ stock tires and engine} don't get real heroic and try to tow out someone else, ESPECIALLY if it is a fullsize rig. You will instantly have 2 stuck trucks.
The one exception.... Big boobs. I say give it a shot, you have my blessing. PLUS, once you are both stuck....HEHEHE!!!!
He can learn at 12/10 psi, 17 is just ridiculous. And so long as he doesn't do anything stupid, he'll never ever roll a bead.
-Chris

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
PismoBoy24 said:
He can learn at 12/10 psi, 17 is just ridiculous. And so long as he doesn't do anything stupid, he'll never ever roll a bead.
-Chris
it also depends on what brand of tire he has. I've seen stock Tacos out there running 5psi on OE tires doing better than I can with my BFG Mts and 10psi ;) Of course they live in the area and practice all the time :p

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks, HYTENOR. I'm just trying to get him in the game, and keep him from making some really bad mistakes right away. If he airs down too far, and rolls a bead, or TWO, who is gonna deal with his stuck ass??? I don't know what experience he has in sand; I'm guessing not much, due to his asking us what's the skinny. I have no idea how much his friends' rigs are capable of, to save his ass, etc. If it were me, I'd go easy and not really fast, at first. Have some fun, and watch the good truck drivers out there. See what they DON'T do.... BTW.... Nice job of giving him real advice. At least he will have something to go on. Me, I steer clear of the dunes....I'd rather haul the mail in Mex, and go fishing. BRING a SHOVEL!!!! DUH..I just noticed, he is in Jersey!!! No friggin' monster dunes like White Sands, or even Pismo. He has lots of wet beach sands, and shorter dunes. Hence the higher air pressure. I always did fine, for what it is worth with 15 in the rosarito dunes. So, whatever. :xdevil:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Thanks, HYTENOR. I'm just trying to get him in the game, and keep him from making some really bad mistakes right away. If he airs down too far, and rolls a bead, or TWO, who is gonna deal with his stuck ass??? I don't know what experience he has in sand; I'm guessing not much, due to his asking us what's the skinny. I have no idea how much his friends' rigs are capable of, to save his ass, etc. If it were me, I'd go easy and not really fast, at first. Have some fun, and watch the good truck drivers out there. See what they DON'T do.... BTW.... Nice job of giving him real advice. At least he will have something to go on. Me, I steer clear of the dunes....I'd rather haul the mail in Mex, and go fishing. BRING a SHOVEL!!!! DUH..I just noticed, he is in Jersey!!! No friggin' monster dunes like White Sands, or even Pismo. He has lots of wet beach sands, and shorter dunes. Hence the higher air pressure. I always did fine, for what it is worth with 15 in the rosarito dunes. So, whatever. :xdevil:
yea, that's why I tagged with the last little bit ;) The experienced guys really know what they are doing out there and every time I go I learn more from them. Your advice was a lot better than mine so keep it up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
baby my truck my ass! I run my truck hard!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Mcadwell said:
baby my truck my ass! I run my truck hard!
geeze, that was a joke! what are you a Democrat or something??
:p

remember, I have video of you....hee, hee

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
19 Participants
Jesse
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing