TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 2wd pre-runner that is in need of a new head, or so I was told by a mechanic. I am mechanically inclined and have done qite a bit of work on my truck in the past, but nothing like replacing the head. I am trying to do some research on the correct parts I will need to complete this job and the best place to find them. I dont trust just ording things from Pep Boys as they seem to have crappy quality stuff. So I would appreciate any advice I can get on the subject. Is there a difference in re manufactured vs rebuilt? Am I head to have my head rebuilt? Where is the best place to get a new/rebuilt/re manufactured head (I live in So Cal)? Do they have a kit for all the gaskets I would need to do this. I hope to get some good info. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Engine: 2.7 L 4 cyl Engine family: 3RZ-FE RZN.
Manufactured 01/1999
Michael

·
Administrator
18,259 Posts
Your head is likely to be cracked, so it would be better to get a new head or a reman head, with the preference on a new head. Note that your model will have an 8port intake and no distributor. Luckily that is the second most common head configuration for those engines.

If you are looking to do the work yourself and your current engine has pretty high mileage, you should consider swapping in a used engine. That is what I did when my 2.7L head cracked at 235k miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts