TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was directed here from some guys over on pirate4x4. my girlfriend has a '00 2wd tacoma standard cab 5spd. what kind of options do we have with this truck? were lookin for the best bang for the buck. thx in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess i should be more specific, im tqlkin bout lifts and prerunner stuff, but ill keep the power adder mods in mind thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
5150kon said:
guess i should be more specific, im tqlkin bout lifts and prerunner stuff, but ill keep the power adder mods in mind thanks
New set of rear leaf packs or shackles, but not advisable if the leafs are starting to sag because the shackles will make them sag faster. As for the front, get coilovers like SAWs or Fox.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
taco23 said:
New set of rear leaf packs or shackles, but not advisable if the leafs are starting to sag because the shackles will make them sag faster. As for the front, get coilovers like SAWs or Fox.
How are longer shackles going to make the leaf packs sag faster?

Later,
....Mike

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
I don't know the mechanics of how but it happens. even a spring shop will tell you this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
taco23 said:
It actually sounds like she has the 5-lug mini (He said 5 speed.) The lift options are kinda limited compared to the 6 lug trucks. No coilovers available. Fabtech makes a 3" lift spindle. Daystar makes a poly coil spacer.

For the rear, yeah shackles. Or custom fab time with leaf spring replacement or over-axle spring flip. Nothing really available bolt-on wise.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
With longer shackles you are lengthening the mounting points on the arched springs. It provides more leverage to the forces trying to flatten them out.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
5150kon said:
hey guys i was directed here from some guys over on pirate4x4. my girlfriend has a '00 2wd tacoma standard cab 5spd. what kind of options do we have with this truck? were lookin for the best bang for the buck. thx in advance
I would start out with some coilovers (donahoes, camburg, king, etc). I have donahoes on my 4x4 eventhough im a street qween i love the way they ride. For the rear you have many options shackles, lift blocks, aal, custom leaf pack. For the best ride custom leaf pack would be your best bet. Welcome to the broad and im sure youll find many options to make your girfriends truck one bad ass ride.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
The leverage applied from the longer shackles applies force to the leafs and flattens them out, or in real bad cases causes them to go into a negative arch.
It's much easyier to see on a 87-94 Wrangler front leaf pack vice a Tacoma, when we put 1" lift shackles on my YJ you could see the difference in the way the springs bowed.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what kind of lift would she need for some dune runs and stuff like that? i know nothin bout prerunners and all that fun stuff. what websites should i be lookin at for front end parts? as for the rear sounds like same options as a 4wd right?

thx for all the help,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok after a li lsearching, and tryin to get an idea of things work on these truck, ive come to these questions....

what if i went with the 3" coil spacer lift like the one in the classifieds by cornfed? plus a 3" BL? how will the truck perform offroad ? also what size tires can she run after 6" total lift?

and ya its the 5 lug mini..

also to go with the prerunner theme of her truck, ide like to go with some new fenders and bedside, and a nice new bumper :xdevil:

·
Registered
369 Posts
If she is going to be jumping this truck. Or doing stuff that ends in a harsh landing a bodylift is not a good idea it will break or flatten out the cab body mounts. Plus spacers will give a harsh ride. She will most diffently need something in the coilover catergory. I have spacers and know there not good for rough riding but are good for lifting a taco. Maybe some progressive rate coils. I dont know who might make them for that truck. Good luck man later.
keith

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
with having a mini isn't he limited to body lift and the Fabtec kit?

I would check customtacos.com for better info on minis.

as far as tire size goes you will have to regear to realistically run anything larger than stock. I have a friend with an '01 mini who added both the Fabtec and a 3" body lift and ran 33x12.50s. He still rubbed all the time and his performance seriously sucked. The little 2.4 just doesn't have the juice to turn larger tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so im thinkin of the coils, but if u go with bigger coils doesnt more of the suspension need to be changed? like i said i dont kjow 2wd to well.

also for the rear, could we just go with 63 chevys?

also tryin to figure out how much lift shed need to perform.

so many questions, hope u guys can keep up haha.

·
Registered
143 Posts
5150kon said:
Since it's 2wd, you should put a big fin on the back and slam it. Don't forget the neon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts