TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought an 05 Tacoma. So far I really like. I have had other trucks but never a tacoma. I needed a truck and I have had an fj40 for quite a while as a DD but not being able to go very fast really gets tiresome.

I have been reading the forum and I am wondering what the hell I got myslf into with this truck. The ring and pinion, cracked frame, people on second a tranny, etc. Should I be worried? My truck is stock now. I plan on possibly lifting the front to level it out. Maybe run 265/70 on the stock wheels. Just going to use the truck for work and getting to the slopes. No heavy wheeling seeing that I have my 40 to wheel with.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Umm

For every person that comes onto an internet forum and complains or has issues there are millions of other's that don't...

Seems most of the issues stem from the v6 vehicles.

Welcome to the 05 club.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I dont think the problems are very wide spead just a few "lemons". If you read into it alot of the ring/pinion guys tow large loads and have the TRD locker. You didnt give the details of which model you have but there has been no major mechanical issues with any of the base model 4cly 5speed guys (that i have heard about at least).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Toymachine said:
I dont think the problems are very wide spead just a few "lemons". If you read into it alot of the ring/pinion guys tow large loads and have the TRD locker. You didnt give the details of which model you have but there has been no major mechanical issues with any of the base model 4cly 5speed guys (that i have heard about at least).
I agree, as one of those guys that have both blown a R&P and had the tranny replaced under warranty. The early 6sp tranny's had weak synchro's that's been fixed now AFAIK. I'll also be one of the first to tell you that if there were any inherent weaknesses in the R&P I would have been one of the guys to find it, I tow heavy and often plus folks not famaliar with 4 wheeling would say that I abused it by taking it on some of the trail obstacles that I've tried. But I still think that they are the best truck out there for the money. :2cents: I still curse at it sometimes though. :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had my 05 for almost 2 years and it's been a great truck; I'd buy it all over again, even though I had problems with my frame. It's the best truck out there in it's class and you'll be saying the same thing once you've had it for a while, so just smile and know you've made a good purchase.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
No matter what make or model you buy, there will be some issues with some vehicles. it has been mentioned that a Tacoma comes off the line every 82 seconds...that is a huge volume. I have had issues with my paint, the customer service could be turned up a few notches sure...My '05 is my 4th Toyota over 20+ years--.84 x-cab, 86 4runner and a 97 Tacoma x-cab. If I thought Toyota sucked really bad, I would not have 450K plus miles behind the wheel of thier product. You made a smart move buying Toyota. Take care of it and it will take care of you...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mine is a daily driver, 1 1/2 years since I bought it and 20,000 miles. All I've done to it is the usual dealer service, oil change, and warranty work on the clutch pedel squeek, and rear leaf springs squeeking. I've lifted it, and put a detroit truetrac LSD, and upgraded the tires. I've taken it out and beat it on anything I could find, and it still gets me home every time. No complaints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts