TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a 1999 tacoma, ext cab, prerunner with the off road trd. its mostly a work vehicle , however i have been tempted to"play" with it. i have read that the trd off-road is to give you a 4x4 "feel". could someone without laughing to hard explain the the truck's capabilities.thank you

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
4x4 'feel'.... eh? hmmm...

Well the fact is that your truck w/TRD Off Road, has a rear locking axle; also the suspension is 'firmer' with progressive rate coils up front and originally came with better shock absorbers...they might still be there, or reaplaced... no matter.

The rear locking axle will get that truck much farther than it would otherwise get, instead of stopping when one tire loses traction, the locker makes both tires pull, and the truck will go a lot more places... maybe that's the 'feel'. Oh, and don't use the locker on dry pavement, and also snow/icy conditions aren't conducive to a locked rear axle. The truck is plenty capable of fire roads, dirt trails, and other places where low gearing isn't required.

now I laugh at you: :rofl:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts