TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself and post a few "newbie" questions.

I have been a LONGGGG time honda lover, built my own 13 second N/A CRX, and currently own a 2001 Civic which i autocross. I have also worked on a few 13 second, cars, a 12 second car, and even an 11 second 1990 Civic.

That being said, sadly i have to ditch my civic's for a truck.

I am currently a Civil engineering student, but in 5 weeks i will graduate and FINALLY start my career (im only 22) as a Junior Project manager for a local Highway Construction company here in Vancouver B.C. Canada.

I worked with them last summer, and a Civic just couldn't cut it on the jobsite
( i got high centered twice, and had to get yanked out by a Excavator).

This has lead me to believe i need a truck:). And Toyota is the only other car maker that i trust as much as Honda. Therefore, i am looking toward purchasing a 01-04? ( sorry not sure the actual year range, i just like the 01-04 body style)

I have a TON of questions, but being a avid member of Honda-tech.com, i understand the frustrations when newbie's come in a post questions that are asked 100000 times a day. So ill try to search as much as possible for my answers before i post a thread, but to start off... Here are my first questions

1) Are 01+ good years for Tacomas? Im looking at the TRD 4x4's mostly with a Ext Cab. Do these models have any common problems? Things to look out for?

2) 2.7L or 3.4L? I already read about 3 threads debating these 2 engines. The only conclusion i could come out with is, both are SUPER reliable. 2.7L is torquey and great on gas, while the 3.4L has more power but a little worse on gas. This is obvious, so I am wondering which would be better. I plan on doing MILLLDDD offroading, mostly just hauling job tools, and maybe the occational small trailor.

I will probably end up getting a gas card from my company, so without a concern for gas milage, which would u choose?

Please, dont get carried away with a 2.7L debate, just post ur choice, and maybe a 1-2 sentence reason and be done with it.

3) Engine response to bolt-ons? i have NO idea if people go for bolton power with these engines, or not. but if so, how well do they respond?

I am aware of the TRD S/C, and the fact it leans the engine, and requires either a 7th injector, or another form of addictional fuel. I do not feel like getting a S/C'er as I dont really need the extra power for anything. But i would like to get a few more ponies if possible from either the 2.7L or 3.4L if they can be made.

4) Please feel free to post any comment, but keep them clean:) I am a super newb to 4x4ing and toyota trucks. I have no idea what "SAS" means or a lot of the products do. but i look forward to learning.

5) Also, which lifting kit would u reccommend for MILD LIFT. I would like to be able to fit 33's without rubbing, but i have NO idea what kits involve. So if u can give me some common names/parts for a mild lift, then i can research it on my own.

Wow, i doubt many of u will take the time to read all that, but thanks to those of you that do.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
your long winded!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any toyota is a good truck. If fuel economy is not an issue than go with the bigger motor since you may be towing a trailer. You mentioned the issue of torque if mild off roading is all you are going to be doing then that should not be an issue at all IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Both engines are great engines and if serviced properly can last a long long time. But in the event something does go wrong like a headgasket, timing belt(3.4), or any other mechanical problem the engines are very easy to work on. And seeing you probably know your way around an engine shouldn't be a problem for you.

Also the toyota truck engines do NOT respond very well to bolt ons they are basically like throwing money away. I got the header because my manifold cracked in half (problem with the 95.5 to 00 2.7's) so I replaced it with the header, and flowmaster cause I had a hole in the muffler and I liked the sound of it.

But search around you will find answers to almost any question you have. But if you can't find the answer as long as you don't mind a little flaming then you will have somebody answer your question.

Welcome and good luck with the new job.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Welcome to TTora, you have come to the right place for Toyoya tech issues. There are alot of really knowledgable folk here.
I have a 97 Taco w/2.7 in it, great engine but not much power. Since gas mpg is not an issue go w/6 cyl. so you can pull a trailer.
Good luck w/your new rig, and let us know what ya comme up with...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts