TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota has announced that they are going to build a new FJ based on the concept vehical last year. They are hoping to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. It should be released within the next 2 years. Also the next generation Tundra will have a desiel option. The new desiel is said to be rated at 390 HP and 700 Ft Lb!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
tbrown said:
Toyota has announced that they are going to build a new FJ based on the concept vehical last year. They are hoping to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. It should be released within the next 2 years. Also the next generation Tundra will have a desiel option. The new desiel is said to be rated at 390 HP and 700 Ft Lb!!
great news, hopefully it will happen

·
Registered
121 Posts
it doesn't say anything about anything important like what kind of axels/suspension or lockers is there a rear locker or front and rear, i like the looks of it...it's different, but then again anythign looks better than a jeep to me. If they would just tone it down a little and make is not as futureistic it would be perfect. A tad bit to future looking for me.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The only problem with that ugly-ass FJ Cruiser, beside the fact that it's ugly, is that it's IFS, too bulky, and way too ugly. Did I add that I think it's ugly?

At least it has decent horsepower and dual winches

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
I hate to say but I think that is fugly as all hell.
Keep in mind that's the concept, not exactly how it will look. I think it looks decent and if they put solid axles and lockers in it I'd buy it if it was priced near the Rubicon. If they want to compete with Jeep on this one I'd be surprised if it stayed IFS or else they've really missed the only thing that makes a Rubicon good.

·
Registered
988 Posts
tbrown said:

Got any links to that Tundra diesel?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i wanna take a plasma cutter to the roof and put 35's on it, then itll look sick

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
I believe the suspension was based off the pre 05 tacoma.. A long travel version if I remember correctly... which means a lot of us get another alterative for suspension upgrades.

As for the looks.. I like the grill.. the mirrors are really tacky, and it look too long.. the FJ 40 was short.. and jeep is short.. the new one should be short too. The styling cues looks like they wanna steal some of that hummer apeal :\

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dragr1 said:
Got any links to that Tundra diesel?
I'll try and find one, the news was from from a Toyota Executive at the Detroit Auto Show. The diesel apparently is still in the works, but a hybrid 5.4 liter gas engine is a go, you'll also see it in the new Sequoia. The new Tundra is said to be based loosely on the FTX concept and will be huge. The new Tundra will be released end of 2006 as a 2007 model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that if they want to go head to head with the Wrangler the FJ has to be more like the Wrangler. A removeable top and doors,things like or somular to the Rubicon option plus a low cost entry level unit like the Wrangler X. And it shouldn't be so ugly or futuristic.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steelerfan said:
I think that if they want to go head to head with the Wrangler the FJ has to be more like the Wrangler. A removeable top and doors,things like or somular to the Rubicon option plus a low cost entry level unit like the Wrangler X. And it shouldn't be so ugly or futuristic.
I agree but remember the pictures you've seen here are of a concept and the final product will be toned down and offer different options. Have you seen pictures of Jeeps concepts, a few are rather ugly as well. We'll just have to wait to compare the new FJ next to the next generation Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
tbrown said:
I'll try and find one, the news was from from a Toyota Executive at the Detroit Auto Show. The diesel apparently is still in the works, but a hybrid 5.4 liter gas engine is a go, you'll also see it in the new Sequoia. The new Tundra is said to be based loosely on the FTX concept and will be huge. The new Tundra will be released end of 2006 as a 2007 model.
Hmm.. if the new Tundra is going to be bigger, then that's going to be a problem for me.. the double cab is the size I want it, but I want the bigger engine.. but if they only release the bigger engine in the new bigger tundra, I may have to by the last year of this model.. I've been holding out to see what they are going to do with the new one..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts