TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this:

Check Tundra forums
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/114436-tundra-tailgate-failures-i-am-club/

Last Tuesday the Toyota Tundra was kicked off the Consumer Reports "Recommended" list for achieving below average predicted reliability scores from its own owners. It appears, however, that the Tundra's week is about to get worse. With the help of Mike Levine from Pickuptruck.com, we're following two separate stories about Tundra quality issues that have surfaced recently. The first involves the Tundra's transmission, with at least ten owners at TundraSolutions.com reporting that their trannies experience rough shifts that make the truck feel like it's riding over rumble strips. The 'rumble strip' transmission issue has been acknowledged by Toyota North America and traced back to the torque converter not disengaging properly. Owners report having their transmissions replaced with new or remanufactured ones, though Toyota told Levine that going forward the automaker would only replace the torque converter itself. Toyota did not say, however, how many trucks are affected, just that the transmission problem is not a safety or design issue.

The second quality issue sprouted up this past weekend, also on TundraSolutions.com, and involves tailgates that have been failing or, in some cases, even falling off. The most common experience seems to be the tailgate itself forming cracks and the metal buckling when under load. One owner reported that his tailgate failed when loading an ATV into the bed for the very first time. The tailgate being such an integral part of owning a truck, members of TS have begun an online petition, which they hope will force Toyota to recognize the issue and do something about it. The petition has attracted 125 signatures so far. Levine from Pickuptruck.com has also asked Toyota about these potentially failing tailgates and is waiting for a response.

Yes, the Toyota Tundra has had a very rough week, but it's no more difficult than the time Tundra owners spend with trucks that don't work as advertised.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just want to say that TundraSolutions has some insightful members, but is also full of crybabies that have nothing useful to contribute except for their complaints.

Some idiot raises hell because his tailgate falls off.........He was hauling down a bumpy road with the tailgate DOWN...... it can happen. I guess because it isn't specifically outlined in the owners manual, this dipsh*t should be rewarded for his incompetence. I guess someone should tell him his coffee might be hot too.

I have no problems whatsoever with my Tundra. I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
wow

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
TS is like the JeepsUnlimited of the street truck community...

The tailgate thing worried me, until I read the whole story. Any tailgate could concievably fall off under the same circumstances from any of the big three manufacturers. Now the buckling, that has me worried as far as loading equipment, parts, and possibly a bike in the bed.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Just saw this:
The tranny issue seems pretty limited, as does the tailgate issue. Untill I see wide spread problems I'm not worried.

My truck has seen some pretty hard miles. @19,000 miles, of those 4,000 towing 8,000 lbs throughout CA, UT, CO, AZ, NV, and NM. I've had ~2000lbs in the bed and have yet to have a real problem. The only problems I've had were related to a trailer I was using, it grounded out the backup lamp fuse and I've had tires loose pressure randomly. ~10lbs??

Much like the cam shaft problems, its pretty damn limited over the number of 07 tundras out there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
shit my old 1996 t100 bed fell off hauling ass on a dirt road with my dirtbike in the back. Broke my tail light. Maybe toyota should have issued a tsb, or better yet a recall and paid for my tail light. Or a big yellow sticker on the gate. TundraSolutions is a bunch of whiners. Givin yotas a bad name... on a yota site.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
i am on TS often, and it seems that it is only the 2nd gen owners that are always whining about their tailgates, trannys, and their gas mileage. i think toyota has taken notice of the tailgate issue and will repair them for free if you have a problem with yours.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
i am on TS often, and it seems that it is only the 2nd gen owners that are always whining about their tailgates, trannys, and their gas mileage. i think toyota has taken notice of the tailgate issue and will repair them for free if you have a problem with yours.
Hell, I'm getting ~15-16mpg city and 19-21 freeway (cruse at 70)! I couldn't be happier with this truck. The paint chips fairly easily but that's due to more regulations.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yup...dunno why but the 07s attracted a lot of whiny asshats along with the usual Yota crowd. Only the 07 forum is like that for some reason.

They seem like nice trucks...I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't need another truck yet. You guys seen the photos from Dubai? Check out Sandcruiser, over there.

-Sean

·
Registered
465 Posts
The only issue i have had with mine, is the paint on the dash chipped. A Sharpie is the same color. I colored it in, and you cant even tell. Also the color (Slate) get dirty to fast :D

I took a 1400 Mile Road Trip towing a Baja Bug, Parts, and 4 people. I avg 10-14 depending how fast i was driving. I like this truck alot. Especally when you turn off the vsc, and floor it.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
The only issue i have had with mine, is the paint on the dash chipped. A Sharpie is the same color. I colored it in, and you cant even tell. Also the color (Slate) get dirty to fast :D

I took a 1400 Mile Road Trip towing a Baja Bug, Parts, and 4 people. I avg 10-14 depending how fast i was driving. I like this truck alot. Especally when you turn off the vsc, and floor it.
I thought you were having issues with yours?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I thought you were having issues with yours?

My tranny issue is still there, but i test drove a new one. It drives the same, so its normal. It just shifts hard from 1st to second, sometimes. Just kind of accepted it. They wanted to change my dash due to the paint chipping. I just colored it in, and you cant tell. It was not a big mark, above the glove box. I was not going to allow them to rip apart my new truck for that. i only have 4800 miles since july on it.

I see al ot of people cry about worse issues. I am happy with the truck.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
My tranny issue is still there, but i test drove a new one. It drives the same, so its normal. It just shifts hard from 1st to second, sometimes. Just kind of accepted it. They wanted to change my dash due to the paint chipping. I just colored it in, and you cant tell. It was not a big mark, above the glove box. I was not going to allow them to rip apart my new truck for that. i only have 4800 miles since july on it.

I see al ot of people cry about worse issues. I am happy with the truck.
The full size GM's do the same thing. Sometimes it shifts rough, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts