TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 15k service done on my 06 Taco at the stealership and of course this included in the maintainence schedule to change the tranny and diff fluids. I've been a big beleiver in synthetic so I brought the service guy some Mobil 1 tranny fluid to throw in. They called me a couple of hours later and said that they didn't need to change the tranny fluid at all becasue of some new type of fluid Toyota is using in the new Tacos called Worldcon (or something similar sounding). The tech quickly explained that this is VERY expensive fluid and lasts at least up to 100k miles or more depending. He said that not every new Taco has it because they started putting it in after a certain date. Clearly i was the lucky candidate

Anyone hear about this stuff?? Any info on this new type of fluid?

:bitchslap

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, I think all of the new Prado 120 chassis vehicles, with the V6 - especially the Tacos have a "sealed" tranny. Its a big procedure and the fluid is super expensive - don't worry about it. Other companies have been using this kind of fluid for a long time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
its like atf ws it is kinda hard to find i had to get some for a buddy at the dealership. also there is no dipstick for the tranny. just a fill plug on the tranny like filling a diff. I understand if u put the old stuff in it can be pretty bad. Id still change every 60,000 or so espiecially if u tow or wheel the hell out of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome, thanks for the replies on this. I actually heard about the prado chassis having this stuff when I looked around checking it out. Ya I will definitely have it changed when its needed by Toyota of course. If the screw it up I can blame them. Im not touching it!

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yeah not having a dipstick can really suck if you break a tranny line like I did and have no way to add fluid. I was lucky I made it to a dealer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Synthetic Oil in the Tranny

I change mine every 15k. It is included in the service. I have a manual and the more you keep flushing the tranny and putting fresh oil in the less you will wear it out when shifting. If you take good care of Toyota transmissions they are supposed to last you a lifetime. If I am overdoing it, at least I am not hurting anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
had a buddy of mine at the stealership hook me up with a transmission flush. it took 16 quarts but he got them to only charge me $108.00 he said it like 20 to 25 dollar a quart or something like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I change mine every 15k. It is included in the service. I have a manual and the more you keep flushing the tranny and putting fresh oil in the less you will wear it out when shifting. If you take good care of Toyota transmissions they are supposed to last you a lifetime. If I am overdoing it, at least I am not hurting anything :rolleyes:

Its not included in the service on the AUTOS, which are what we're talking about. I think the fluid is like $20 a quart or something... and it takes a LOT of fluid, like 10qts or something at least.

Again, we're not talking about the 6 speed, but thanks for the input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
its called atf WS (world spec or world standard) i just got a qaurt for under $10 from toyota because i need it to top off my atf when i install my tranny cooler. this stuff is suppose to be synthetic and no, the trans does not need to be serviced according to the manual for 05+.

the parts guy didnt want to sell it to me at first and claimed that it was only available in jugs where the service dept. had to pump it in :xcrazy:
i'll have the part number posted if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Atf Ws

yep everyone is right ATF WS isn't supposed to be changed till 100,000 miles kinda like the pink coolant toyota started using. I'm still going to change mine at 60,000. You drain and refill it very much like a manual trans. but the trans has to be at a certain temperature. Alot of car manufactures are going this way. I first saw it when i was working for mercedes benz. Changing the trans fluids on those were a beyotch. I try to discourage customers from messing with trans fluid changes on the new stuff with WS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yep everyone is right ATF WS isn't supposed to be changed till 100,000 miles kinda like the pink coolant toyota started using. I'm still going to change mine at 60,000. You drain and refill it very much like a manual trans. but the trans has to be at a certain temperature. Alot of car manufactures are going this way. I first saw it when i was working for mercedes benz. Changing the trans fluids on those were a beyotch. I try to discourage customers from messing with trans fluid changes on the new stuff with WS.
Actually, you don't just drain and refill it like a manual trans. If you do that you'll only get about 1/4 of the fluid. I'm sure you can search for the exact procedure, but basically it involves draining it, then putting in clean stuff, then disconnecting a cooler line and cycling the trans around to get more fluid to come out, while adding more fluid so it doesn't get too low. When you've removed a certain amount of quarts you can be reasonably sure that you're now pumping out clean fluid and you can stop, top it up, and seal it back up.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Its only in the 750E or 750F, 340's still use std ATF.. .so some tacos have the 4spd auto, 4cyl autos... but thats about it... my 03 runner has the 340.. so it uses std ATF, but my taco doesnt as its the 750F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.