TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the new Wheeler's Steelies with the 4.25 BS? I wanted the old type B but I was late to the game.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had the Type B (4" bs) and found the outer edge/rim to get bent up easily in the rocks. This was so common for myself and other members with steelies in east TN that knoxtaco made a lip tool out of a large masonary type chisel to pound the lip out to stop leaks on the trail. Stock alloys would see years of the same trails on identically built trucks with the same tires and never have an issue....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had the Type B (4" bs) and found the outer edge/rim to get bent up easily in the rocks. This was so common for myself and other members with steelies in east TN that knoxtaco made a lip tool out of a large masonary type chisel to pound the lip out to stop leaks on the trail. Stock alloys would see years of the same trails on identically built trucks with the same tires and never have an issue....
Didn't you put rock rings on yours?

·
Registered
796 Posts
The rock ringed steelies are craiger soft 8s. Had the rings welded on to these rims when new. Crazy heavy, but still unbent. With the maxxis bighorns(255/85/16) each tire rim combo is about 95lbs. Have a set of 4runner 5 star alloys that are going on with new 255/85/16 BFG KM2s next week(!!). Plan to keep the rock ringed set for bashing, although the tread is pretty low. Maybe splurge on some biasplys for them someday. The OEM alloys are light and strong. Wish I'd never gone down the steel wheel road.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The rock ringed steelies are craiger soft 8s. Had the rings welded on to these rims when new. Crazy heavy, but still unbent. With the maxxis bighorns(255/85/16) each tire rim combo is about 95lbs. Have a set of 4runner 5 star alloys that are going on with new 255/85/16 BFG KM2s next week(!!). Plan to keep the rock ringed set for bashing, although the tread is pretty low. Maybe splurge on some biasplys for them someday. The OEM alloys are light and strong. Wish I'd never gone down the steel wheel road.
Ah ok, that'd be sweet. It'll be interesting to see how your gas changes too, I assume you're still DD'ing it.

I'm still running the factory steelies. I like them a lot but 2 years ago SETO showed me just how fragile steel wheels are. Blair's "tool" saved me. I've thought about rock ringing them but not sure which direction I'll go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts