TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yesterday we completed rigging in theese downhole tools, they are used to take a "picture" of oil formations deep in the earth. the three man crew i work with spent 42! hours with no sleep to accomplish this task. a total of 106 levels (silver tubes with sensors in em) with leaf springs (to hold against well casing) totaling 5300 ft in leingth were lowered to a depth of 10500 feet deep where the temperatre is 160 F.

the typical survey is only 20 levels :rofl:

the biggest job before was only 87 levels

why so many? because its cheaper to keep a 3 man crew and vibe team for less than a week instead of a month. (this run out our crew only :rolleyes: made the company 1 million)

the source trucks (giant vibrators) are used to create the "flash" to take the picture.

my office

the well head with tool in test

tools getting unloaded to be taken to well head

the vibrators

running final tests before rigging in.

i just thought id share some cool info and pics that most will NEVER see

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sexy.taco said:
God damn Lindsay! Well hopefully it wasn't too cold out there... nice pics! :)
it was only about 35 one night, it did rain though.. the person that bought the raincoats got a nasty e-mail..

not me ^^^

·
Registered
227 Posts
Man you could please a lot of women at one time with a vibrator that big :D :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Sweet pics. Do you ever get to drive the vibrators? :D They look like fun.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
LAW said:
it was only about 35 one night, it did rain though.. the person that bought the raincoats got a nasty e-mail..

not me ^^^
I was going to say... wow you've changed what are they doing to you out in the field... lol! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I see those trucks all the time around granbury....looking for natural gas.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Interex said:
Now, I'm no expert but if I had to guess I would say that the first picture are the vibrators.
And you'd be wrong. ;)

They are called seismic (sp) trucks and they are used to created vibrations in the earth. The rebound of the vibrations are measured to "see" what kind of rocks they are working with.

Are you a geophysist Law? Why wouldn't people EVER get to see the pictures? I admit I've never seen a picture of a seismic truck, but I've also never looked. :)

Congrats on the world record by the way, what part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Awsome! Where is the well that they need that type of resolution to tie to a seismic survey. I assume you ran this in an un-cased hole, any sticky spots going in or out with a string that long? As my company's on-site geologist, I usually get to be the liason with you guys, but theres usually still a drilling rig on site to run your rigging off of if I'm hanging around. I don't recognize your company truck. Who are you with? Does your company specialize in VSP surveys or do you do other types of wireline logging? Where are you based, and what parts of the country do you service? We're always looking for somebody to give us a better deal than Scumberger...er Schlumberger, or Walletshurton...I mean Halliburton. Maybe we'll have a run-in in Wyoming or Utah one of these days. We've got some pretty big 3D seismic surveys scheduled for this spring, and will be needing to get good well ties. Sorry for being a little over zealous, but I love my job, and logging and petrophysics are my favorite parts.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do either of you guys have any updated info on the race to economically drill oil from the shale in Colorado and surrounding areas?

·
Registered
836 Posts
stu said:
Do either of you guys have any updated info on the race to economically drill oil from the shale in Colorado and surrounding areas?
Yeah, it isn't much of a race! It ain't gonna happen any time soon. Every few years somebody comes up with a new high tech scheme to make it work, writes a bunch of papers in the oil and gas publications and draws some media attention, but any technology play is extremely high risk, and usually not cost effective. In the 1970s the goverment experimented with using underground nukes in parts of CO and NM to fracture the shale and produce the oil using conventional drilling methods. It worked great accept the oil came out of the ground too radioactive to use. Currently the best method is to "mine" the oil. That is, actually mine the rock and separate the oil chemically or mechanically. This method is not really that economical for gold or silver, and it sure isn't economical for oil. In my opinion, shale oil will never really come to fruition. When the non domestic supply of oil gets too pricey, or too sparse, you will see a large conversion to natural gas, as the U.S. has the worlds largest proven reserves of natural gas, especially in areas like western Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and California.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I thought the latest method was to drill holes into the shale, insert heaters, bake the oil out, then steam clean what is left. The way I understood it was that the last real effort they made was to bring chunks of the rock to the surface and cook to get the oil out in combination with just breaking the rocks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
16 Participants
my2coma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing