TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*UPDATE at bottom of post*

Whats up guys?

Growing up my Dad has always had a truck, my whole life, and even though they have been Fords, my current Toyota has made me a Toyota loyalist, but is becoming unstreatable modding it for SCCA events.

I'm new to wheeling though, we never took the trucks off road, so I wanted some advice on weather to go manual or auto.

98% of all the driving I've done has been with manual (25yrs old so I'm not talking about one year haha) so I'm not shy to going that route, but buying the truck is for Daily Driver purposes and I've been wanting to go auto, but I'm wondering if I'll regret it later if I ever do some mild wheeling.

Thanks for any replys, looking forward to making my second vehicle a Toyota, and a truck at that.

B.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!
There are good and bad points for going Manual or Auto.
Since you are comfortable with manual, go for it.
Also don't forget to check out the Newbie Tech thread and Search Button to find many answers to your questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had 5 trucks in my life and all but one were manual. so all ill ever buy is a manual, but thats just what i like. welcome to the team

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys.

Yeah I always figured myself a manual guy, especially with sporty cars I think its a no brainer, but I've always seen trucks as an Auto type vehicle.

I guess if I don't find one I can't turn down while overseas, I can test drive some and get a feel for it when I get home.

Seeing that there isn't a overwelming reason to go manual I'm kinda leaning towards Auto for the DD of it, but thanks all for your imputs.

Use the search botton check. I come from the IS.net boards, pretty negative there, so I try to avoid "useless" posts and use the search, though I'm always tempted to take the shortcut and just ask haha.

Thanks again.

B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally got the truck!!

Been months of research even while I was in Kuwait, so I found a deal I didn't want to drop. 01 with 137K miles, TRD supercharger, 4by4 auto with TRD package, perfect shape like it was in a time capsule.

The Black IS 300 in the back ground can now get the light weight 17s on with sticky icky rubber and no longer serve as Daily Driver, let the engine swap and standalone fooling around begin haha.

My only concerns with the truck is that most of that mileage (137K) has been supercharged. The blower doesn't sound too bad compared to what I've read, but I do not like how it boosts.

I had always been under the impression positive displacement superchargers are always boosting. This one only goes into boost if under a lot of load(going up hill)/heavy throttle as if it were a turbo and not a supercharger. The boost the gauge is showing is about 5-6psi.

What is the function of that actuator at the intake of the charger?

** edit, read up on it and I guess its the bypass valve thats supposed to help engine efficiency in vacuum, kinda like the new synchronic BOVs from Synapse.

Also will hopefully get a nose drive rebuild kit tomorrow from Magnuson.

B.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

I'm trying to not get the mod bug, but I saw a pre-runner with a nice rim/mud tire setup that got me itching, and I'm afraid of boost without fuel/ignition tuning so I've been scoping out URD stuff, but I really gotta fight it off haha, I do not need another $$ pit.

Only money should be a nose drive rebuild kit, stupid cali tax, some simple green and elbow greese to the engine bay.

Found out Magnuson does not sell the rebuild kit direct, I have to go through TRD.

Shaun.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow, nice find there, & welcome!
On weather to get a manual or auto, probably depends on if you will be driving it in alot of traffic. All my other cars in the past have been manuals, so this is my first auto & I love it. Yes, it's a DD so I do sit in alot of traffic, it is kinda nice at times, but I still miss shifting now & then. Plus as you get older, it does have it's advantages!

Good luck on NOT trying to get the mod bug, it's pretty tough!
and thank you for your service sir......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm liking the auto, its very comfortable, if I need the manual fix I can hop into the other car and tool around haha.

I put a Pep Boys compass in today, and I think I will tinker with getting an inverter cleanly in soon. I think I'm really going to need that good luck to avoid getting in over my head on modding. I know I will have to address the engine management issue eventually. Want to get a bed liner also, checking out Rino.

Thanks for mentioning the service, I really appreciate that. Oh, and its not sir, I actually work haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts