TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Chico,ca. I'm a newbe to this forum (or any other), and to 4x4'n in general (my first 4x). Just got a new 2014 Tacoma access cab with full 4x4/tow package. Never had a Toyota before, and am loving it. Been checkin out a bunch of areas above Forest ranch / Magalia / Concow area, really nice country. Have some time off for a while so if anyone wants to do some day trips I'd be way into it.

Already doing some light mods on the truck cause the standard lights / fog light shut off with high beams BS isn't the best on the trail. And if anybody has an issue with the check engine / track off light comes on after messing with fuses and such doing a light mod. More than likely the computer saw a short or break in the circuit and threw up the fault code. It happened to me. I just disconnected the battery for a while and all was fine.

Anyway, just saying hi.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome. The chapter president NorCalPR (Phill) should be putting a calendar of events for 2014 together so stay tuned for that if your interested in doing a group run with us. I imagine it will be somewhat similar to the 2013 calendar of events located at the top of the "Plan a Trail Run" folder so take a look at that to get an idea of what trails we run. I'm itching to get out and wheel too hope to see you on some trails this year. Get some rock sliders to protect that truck and post up some pictures when you get a chance.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hello from Chico,ca. I'm a newbe to this forum (or any other), and to 4x4'n in general (my first 4x). Just got a new 2014 Tacoma access cab with full 4x4/tow package. Never had a Toyota before, and am loving it. Been checkin out a bunch of areas above Forest ranch / Magalia / Concow area, really nice country. Have some time off for a while so if anyone wants to do some day trips I'd be way into it.

Already doing some light mods on the truck cause the standard lights / fog light shut off with high beams BS isn't the best on the trail. And if anybody has an issue with the check engine / track off light comes on after messing with fuses and such doing a light mod. More than likely the computer saw a short or break in the circuit and threw up the fault code. It happened to me. I just disconnected the battery for a while and all was fine.

Anyway, just saying hi.
Welcome aboard, you can get a ScangaugeII , very useful device and you can pull codes as well as clear them. This way you know exactly what code you triggered. Has a ton of other features like trans temp/water t voltage etc... can be programmed to report anything the computer measures.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda freaked out when it happened...thought I screwed something up cause I was pulling fuses and checking voltages. After reading some posts I felt better, almost went to Autozone for a free scan, but it cleared.

I would like to get a scanner, what do you think about this one?...

BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool
http://www.bafxproducts.com

·
Registered
746 Posts
I kinda freaked out when it happened...thought I screwed something up cause I was pulling fuses and checking voltages. After reading some posts I felt better, almost went to Autozone for a free scan, but it cleared.

I would like to get a scanner, what do you think about this one?...

BAFX Products Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool
http://www.bafxproducts.com
Interesting website there. They have scan tools and pocket pussies, on the same page.

That one looks like it can only read and clear codes. The Scan Gauge does a lot more, but costs a lot more. I wheeled with mine for the first time last a couple of weekends ago. I am very please, it was nice to actually see my engine and trans temp, instead of looking at a needle or waiting for an idiot light.

*Correction: looks like you can read real time info with that one too, personally I don't like that you have to have an app for your phone to use it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey there, I'm in Chico as well. Shoot me a wave if you see me, I'm in the white 3rd gen SAS'ed 4runner with the ttora sticker on the rear window. Be careful of the crazies up in the High Lakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey man, I'll do that. Mine's magnet gray with off-road lights and a shark fin antenna on the roof. I think the crazies are not as jittery this time of year, but I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any favorite routes you like to take near by? I'm exploring, and checking maps, but there's a lot of gates and such, and I don't want to get into trouble right off the bat on the trails.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome. The chapter president NorCalPR (Phill) should be putting a calendar of events for 2014 together so stay tuned for that if your interested in doing a group run with us. I imagine it will be somewhat similar to the 2013 calendar of events located at the top of the "Plan a Trail Run" folder so take a look at that to get an idea of what trails we run. I'm itching to get out and wheel too hope to see you on some trails this year. Get some rock sliders to protect that truck and post up some pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks for the welcome and invite to run with you guys. I would love to go on some runs and see everyone's rigs. :cool: I got my lights all setup with some custom brackets I made for the grill. Will be getting some protection later on and mount to that down the road. Also did the fog lights mod so I can turn them on in any mode... now I can see at night...yeah!

Do you have a suggestion for what kind of sliders to get as well as some front protection?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Do you have a suggestion for what kind of sliders to get as well as some front protection?
I like the all pro sliders with kickouts, if you want to support a local vendor check out Bay Area Metal Fabrication (BAMF). I think charlie (stlstrs) is running these in his first gen. BAMF often offers discounts up to 25% off so keep an eye out for that. Take a look at this link for ideas on 2nd gen sliders:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/199562-sliders-2nd-gens.html

As far as front protection most of the venders in the link above make front bumpers as well, plate or tube its up to you just stay away from brush guards they do nothing for protection. Get sliders first though they are a must to protect that nice new truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey man, I'll do that. Mine's magnet gray with off-road lights and a shark fin antenna on the roof. I think the crazies are not as jittery this time of year, but I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any favorite routes you like to take near by? I'm exploring, and checking maps, but there's a lot of gates and such, and I don't want to get into trouble right off the bat on the trails.

We usually just go up to High Lakes (butte meadows/concow area) since it's close and there are miles and miles of back trails, my friend also has a cabin up there we stay at. Just go up to Paradise and keep going straight and it will dump you into the High Lakes right past Inskip. We just go dink around usually, but there are spots to hit like Pipejam, Bear, Saddle, Morris, etc up at High Lakes right past Spring Valley lake. Kind of need a built rig to run those sections, but you'd probably really like cruising around the high lakes.

New Years someone got stabbed three times in-between Sterling City and Inskip. Friends of mine have had guns pulled on them by tweakers up there for no reason. Just be careful, I've yet to have any problems with anyone up there though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It seems like all sliders do the same job. I've heard more bad things about Trail Gear then any others, but those work fine too. Some have the kick-outs, some don't, some are tighter to the rocker panel than others. I have BAMF bolt ons, with out the kick out, personally I don't like the kickouts. I think the have their place, but I personally like they way they look with out better, and I haven't been in a situation yet that I wished I had them. A lot of people don't like the bolt ons. They work, I'm not sure they work as well as the weld one kind, but it is really nice to be able to take them off. With that being said, I'm thinking about welding mine on.

More thoughts:

Get sliders first! I when on one run without mine, I was nervous the whole time.
Bumpers, I think this comes down to preference. Tube bumpers are generally lighter and cheaper than plate bumpers.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Weld-on sliders are gay if you think about it.

It seems like all sliders do the same job. I've heard more bad things about Trail Gear then any others, but those work fine too. Some have the kick-outs, some don't, some are tighter to the rocker panel than others. I have BAMF bolt ons, with out the kick out, personally I don't like the kickouts. I think the have their place, but I personally like they way they look with out better, and I haven't been in a situation yet that I wished I had them. A lot of people don't like the bolt ons. They work, I'm not sure they work as well as the weld one kind, but it is really nice to be able to take them off. With that being said, I'm thinking about welding mine on.

More thoughts:

Get sliders first! I when on one run without mine, I was nervous the whole time.
Bumpers, I think this comes down to preference. Tube bumpers are generally lighter and cheaper than plate bumpers.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Why would you go weld something to your truck that you intend to go out and beat the shit out of on the rocks? My bolt on sliders are just as strong if not stronger and I can remove them. In fact I've had them off and on several times. Plus I got access to the other wise wasted space behind the rocker panels for air tanks.

It ain't exactly rocket science to make simple U brackets that will fit around and bolt though the frame rails. Mine go up both sides and across the bottom of the rails. Three brackets per side. I used existing holes for the though bolts so no drilling of the frame was required. It just can't get any simpler than that.

I don't get it...

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts
Why would you go weld something to your truck that you intend to go out and beat the shit out of on the rocks? My bolt on sliders are just as strong if not stronger and I can remove them. In fact I've had them off and on several times. Plus I got access to the other wise wasted space behind the rocker panels for air tanks.

It ain't exactly rocket science to make simple U brackets that will fit around and bolt though the frame rails. Mine go up both sides and across the bottom of the rails. Three brackets per side. I used existing holes for the though bolts so no drilling of the frame was required. It just can't get any simpler than that.
I like my sliders to actually 'slide'...up and down. ;)

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/T0YMINATOR/media/2012-03-21_12-29-38_304.mp4.html

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
Haha, Winnar

As much as I hate the bolt on/weld on debate, I agree with the Dick. My bumpers and armor are all unboltable, so when they get beat up, they're easy to replace. It also easier to repaint.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts