TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, with all of the threads I've been researching, reading, posting, etc., I've stumbled across several different acronyms that I don't know. I've also got a few tech questions based on what I've read.

1. OME?? Is that just a brand

2. OME coils, are they 881's or coils? The 881's are shocks and the OME coils are coils. In order to do a 2-3" lift with a winch bumper, OME coils won't work right? If so, why not? Everything I've read says yes and no. Which is it?

3. Do the OME coils replace the factory coils and shock or just the factory coil?

4. There are some other acronyms but I can't remember them. I'll find them and post them in here. This may turn out to be good sticky material for newbies.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
OME=Old Man Emu

it is an Austrailian off road company associated with ARB

·
Registered
672 Posts
OME stands for Old Man Emu, distributed by ARB.

They have coils and shocks. Better to replace both the factory coil and shock for the most bang for the buck, especially if you are running an aftermarket bumper and winch. Hope that helps.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
They also have rear leaf springs :p

For the newer taco, I don't think you would use a 880, 881, or 882. If you want 3" of lift, try doing a Toytec/OME combo, which utilizes a OME coil, OME shock, and Toytec top spacer to get you at 3"

www.toyteclifts.com

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NorcalPR said:
They also have rear leaf springs :p

For the newer taco, I don't think you would use a 880, 881, or 882.
Why not? I only want 2" of lift by the way with a single AAL.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Why not? I only want 2" of lift by the way with a single AAL.
The OME 884 and 885 (886 works too if you have winch/bumper) were designed for the 05+ Tacomas. For the double cab, the 885 is recommended to support the bigger truck/extra weight. According to ARB, the 885 coil spring alone will give you 1.75" of lift. Newly installed springs are actually giving closer to 2.25 - 2.5" of lift without the top plate. They will probably settle 1/4" or so over time.

Yes, the OME coils replace the factory coil spring. You can choose to reuse the Bilstein/TRD front shock, or install the N140S OME shock.

If you want around 2" of lift (give or take), I'd suggest the 885's w/o the top plate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the top plate come with the coils or something??

THIS is awesome news for me!! Now I can add a winch bumper and level out the truck, increase the spring rate a little and without having to pay over $1,000 for "Hoes" just to add a winch bumper.

THANKS!! It's taken me my current post count to learn that little bit of information. I've searched and read so many things, I didn't know what to believe.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Does the top plate come with the coils or something??

THIS is awesome news for me!! Now I can add a winch bumper and level out the truck, increase the spring rate a little and without having to pay over $1,000 for "Hoes" just to add a winch bumper.

THANKS!! It's taken me my current post count to learn that little bit of information. I've searched and read so many things, I didn't know what to believe.
OME lifts are a dime a dozen, so there's tons of info out there. Check toyteclifts.com, or email Doug if you have specific questions. There are also several DIY threads out there with pics. Just keep searching....

If you are planning on adding bumper and winch, I think the 886's are the best option for you.

You don't get a new top plate, you reuse the Toyota top plate. You'll need to compress the old spring and remove the top plate from the TRD coilover, and then install it with the new OME coils and whatever shock you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts