TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought a blue (ish) 96 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 ext cab 97,xxx with the 225 75 r15s :( . Anyways, I have been getting horrible gas mileage, like 13-16. I have got 19 at best one time. I have even been not reving over 2200 during shifts to save on gas.

So far I cleaned and lightly* re oiled my K&N and cleaned the MAF. CHecked tire pressures and installed new plugs. It runs really good, seems to maybe vibrate a little at idle, but just gets horrible MPG. When I changed plugs one of the metal connector peices inside a cap pulled out, so replacing those is on the list.

I have read on here about cleaning the throttle body and air/fuel sensors. How hard is this to do. I have searched but couldnt find any good how toos. Also, does the Air/fuel sensor need to just be replaced or can it be cleaned? The truck is in really good shape and I know it was taken care of by the original owner, I have all the paper work and maint record. I just want good gas mileage out of this with these little pizza cutters on it. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!

If you have no check engine light, no need to replace or try to clean the O2 sensors.

I get bad mileage too, just part of having an older truck (I average 17-18, used to get 22).

You can try a can of seafoam: 1/3 into the intake, 1/3 into the crank case, 1/3 into the gas tank. Then change your oil within 200 miles. Search for seafoam on how to put it into the intake...and understand it will create a lot of smoke when you fire up you truck again.

Some people have said replacing the fuel filter helps improve mileage, but it is a real PITA to do on the 4-cyl engines, and although I have had one sitting on the shelf in the garage for 2 years, I have not taken the time to do it. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
NickJ said:
Hi all, I just bought a blue (ish)
do you mean purple? don't be ashamed, you aren't the first to try to call it blue...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts