TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, y'al

tony here, i just arrived here in Indy from Los Angeles earlier today. i've been around most of the popular toy forums but mainly on YT and Ultimateyota.

i have a 99 4Runner, and i'm looking for a reputable alignment shop locally 'cause it pulls to the left badly.

here is a little more about me and my runner's profile in the sig.:

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=6043.0

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
northeast side of the town and i'm staying here for good. but kinda miss the weather back in LA thou.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hello Tony! Were you born and raised in CA or have you lived in Indiana before? If not, you're going to hate the weather here... :D

As far as alignment shops, my favorite one when I lived up there was in Westfield, but that would probably be too far away from you.

If you do find one that you think did a good job, be sure to post the information in the "Off road shops in Indiana" thread stickied in this section.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, my old work place is in the process of shutting down completely, and the wife got a decent job here, that's why i moved.

back in LA, i'd never ever trust a dealer to do alignment jobs no matter toyota or not, because i've never seen one donw right at dealers, period. lots people liked the Firestone lifetime alignment deal, but the few Firestone shops i went to, none of the people i talked to seem know squard when i asked the word "toe-in"(is that "towing" what you just said?). plus, only 1/3 of them speak english. what about the shops here?

the closest dealer is Butler Toyota, that's where the wife bought her RV4.

here is a picture of my 99

as for wheeling, grew up in southern cal, i hate mudding, running sand dunes and quiet forest service fire road are my thing. pretty much the easy, relaxed type.

i can't wait to meet with you guys and get out burn some gas, but gotta fix the alignment first. it's my DD, too.

take care. and, damn the time difference, i'm still live on pacific time......

·
4,068 Posts
Welcome to InTTORA! I'm up in Northwest Indiana, so I can't help you on the alignment, but I hear you on the fact that it is very hard to get anyone who knows wtf they are doing nowadays, anywhere!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Greetings Tony, there is an alignment shop in Plainfield (Art's Alignment if I remember right) if that is not too far for you. I'll have to look up the name for you as it has been a while since I have been by the place myself.

I know they align many civil service vehicles as well as vintage/hot rod types.

I took my SAS there after completing it, and they refused to work on mine as they said that the axle was not in "spec" for either a jeep nor a toyota, so I have not been back since.

There is also another alignment shop on the edge of downtown Indy. I believe the name of that shop is Mark's alignment. It is on capitol. I'll have to confirm all of this as I have not driven that way in a while either.

As for the second shop, I can't confirm their "quality" as I have never used them either. But I can say they have been in business for a while. I think they have an establishment date on their sign of 195something if I remember right.

Let me know if you are interested in either place and I can get you better information on either or both of them, as the one down town is around the corner from my office and I live in the next town over from Plainfield and could drive by if needed.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks folks, i'll try to call these shops after the roads opened up. i'm still learning how to drive in the snow and on ice.

that place the picture was taken was in Glennwood Canyon, Co. it's called "No Name Rest Area". i was listening on the CB with bunch of truckers all after noon talking about the road conditions and the big snow storm approching. that place was the last stop i made before getting into the good stuff, just to put on my winter gear and make sure everything inside was nice and tight not flying around.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Well take it slow and easy. I am just now getting a little more comfortable driving in this crap myself! and I have been here about 5 years now.

Feel free to ask away if you need anything else we might be able to help with. I am sure if we dont' have the answers, we will find the solution one way or another.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
doubtful! I am usually inside where it is safe and warm. :eek:

·
Registered
680 Posts
thanks folks, i'll try to call these shops after the roads opened up. i'm still learning how to drive in the snow and on ice.

that place the picture was taken was in Glennwood Canyon, Co. it's called "No Name Rest Area". i was listening on the CB with bunch of truckers all after noon talking about the road conditions and the big snow storm approching. that place was the last stop i made before getting into the good stuff, just to put on my winter gear and make sure everything inside was nice and tight not flying around.

Thats where I thought it was, wasnt sure if it was No Name or Grizzly Creek.

May have of even seen your truck. could have crashed here to let the weather blow over.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just FYI, i called couple local shops from the phonebook, well, i did make an appointment with Matt's alignment ship on N. Capital(not mark's). seems it's the only one who really knew what they are doing. what i did was asking a "trick" question which is "whatever the cost of $$ is, is that for a 2-wheel alignment or a 4-wheel job? dave from Matt's replied immediatly, "that 99 4Runner you have is two wheel ajustment only, so 2-wheel only."

i'll let you guys know the result soon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DAMN!!! looks like i have a bigger problem than an alignment. i think the tranny F#$% 'd up. i'll have it checked out by Titus Transmission (sponsor of TTORA), keep my fingers crossed (i hope it's just the clutch).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i went to the shop today and had a little chat with Chris the owner. he showed me the guts of the tranny. the problem was the shop back in Cali put the Marlin HD clutch backwards thus caused the bearings to fail. i don't really understand the technical details of what happened and i'm looking at a $1,500 repair bill. basically he's gonna replace all the gear bearings and syncro rings, OEM parts of course. the clutch disk before the Marlin had only 10k miles on it, also OEM, so Chris would replace the backwards one with it.

damn!! that goes my ARB locker money.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts