TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just puchased my first Taco, '04 TRD Doublecab, and want to know the easiest way to access the oil filter. I crawled under last night and saw what seems to be a 2 part skid plate (could be wrong). Do I just remove the rear piece or am I way off base. Any help is appreciated. Please don'e flame me too much. lol Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You don't need to remove any of the skid plates; just reach up and break the filter loose with a filter wrench. Then place a large zip lock bag over the filter and remove the filter, allowing the bag to catch the oil in the filter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try going through the front left wheel well. Crank the wheel so it's facing out. Remove the gap guards behind it and the oil filter will be right there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Tweeter said:
In theory no because your filter should be finger tight but I've had a few cases where it was tight as a 10 year-old
Your fucked in the head. ;)
Yeah when I first changed mine I bought a cheapy wrench from Autozone and cut the handle off some, and then stuck it up there and used it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On my "96, I used the Toyota filters and the filter socket that fits them for a 3/8" drive. A 12" extension and universal going in through the left fender like those guys already said makes it an easy job. Don't forget to oil the seal on the new filter or you'll be bumming next time.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Texan1983 said:
hell i reach in through the enging compartment to get the filter. works for me...
X2 - I just reach down under the Alternator from above, and unscrew the damn thing.

As stated before you SHOULDN'T need an oil filter wrench, but the world is an imperfect place, and if anyone besides yourself has ever changed the oil in your truck (which I'm assuming they have or this thread wouldn't exist) they might have been a moron (or a Toyota Technician) and used an oil filter wrench to TIGHTEN the filter! :doh:

ohio03trdtaco said:
Trust me nothing like drain all your oil out to find out that dumb filter is stuck on. :D
X1,000,000~! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well for me, and i am the ONLY one who changes the oil on my truck, i usaully can't get it off by hand. and i only hand tighten it. but i guess im weak...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you don't have a wrench you can always just stab a screw driver through the filter!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts