TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 96 x cab with the 2.7 5 speed. With the 225's :eek:. I want to step up to 31" or 32" ATs when the current tires are shot and possibly a lift (will need for 32"). So the truck has the 3.58 :eek: ratio now, for 31" or 32" would it be better to switch to 4.10s or 4.30 gearing. After searching it seems that would be the time to install a locker also. What is the usual total cost to change out the gearing?

·
Registered
741 Posts
all i can give is first hand knowledge on a auto 2.7 that came stock with 4.10 gears,

i stepped up to 33s and i was too high geared, so i put in some 4.88s and the gearing was perfect for me.

the 5sp is a little lower geared then the automatic, so maybe you should go with 4.56s,

4.56s came stock with the 31\auto\2.7 combo

Austin

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pray4surf said:
Ya know others will be here real quick advising you to search. Believe me I have been searching also. I cannot think of any other mod that will improve my truck's wheeling capabilities either. :D

IF anyone knows of a thorough writeup for us :newbie:'s that covers this topic from start to finish please speak up... Simply to many posts to this and other forums that attempt to address this mod, that ultimately end up in a [email protected] and prove worthless to us that do our best to follow the norms of polite forum behavior...

Now it is time to pull on my flameproof suit and I better cinch it up tight...

Ready... Set... :flamethro away...

But a great big thanks to those that do provide us newb's the advice we seek...

And while being toasted, I will continue my searching....

Rick
Ya I am sure I'll get the search speach. But I have been, and there is a whole lotta loops like you said, and they almost all end with, search and you shall find. I have came to the conclusion that with 31's I would prob be best off with 4.30s. But I believe they are relatively tough to come by and expensive. I am not going to be doing any hardcore wheeling, just playing in the mud, fire roads and for hunting. I do commute to school so I need to keep the MPG decent.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I started with the same setup you have. In my opinion the 4.30's are a good choice for you if you want to stay at 31. For 32 4.56 probably beter, but what if you decide to go to 33's? Then you'll have to regear again. Total cost? Not cheap. Gears, install kits (bearings, gaskets) labor - $1,000 easy. Locker another few hundred. Don't do it twice!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the same truck but a 97 reg cab and i have stock gearing with 265/75/16's right now, and my truck is geared way to high. I just bought it and have put very little miles on it, but i do know the speedo is out nearly 10mph. I want to regear also and i am in the same boat as you with how often i plan to drive my truck offroad. I also need decent mpg, but i also want the truck to be drivable. I need to check what gears i have now, but i have a feeling mine are 358's too. I was thinking 410's or 430's. Either that or i go with smaller tires which is hard to do with my 16 inch rims.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Using the correct gear ratios will almost always provide the best performance AND fuel economy. I went up a couple mpg when I went from 3.58 to 4.30...plus I could use 5th gear on the interstate again, a plus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One oppinion here.
I don't know if you have calculated your needs or not, but try the following formula (if I can remember it):

current tire dia-wanted tire dia=delta
delta/current tire dia=%delta
%delta+old gear ratio=new gear ratio

If you live in the mountains (I live in Colorado) it doesn't hurt to go the the next lower gear ratio to improve mountain driving or going slower. At low altitude this will lower your mpg.
If it is within probably 5% (that is if it was a 4.10 and you need a 4.30) and you live in a low altitude location, I wouldn't waist my money.
If I were in college, assuming you have 30" or near tires now, I wouldn't go passed 31" until I could afford investing more.
The 2.7 is a great little engine, but you just cannot beat cubic inches for mud.
Please take this with a grain of salt since everyone has their opinion. And good luck with what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4:10's

I run 31's all the time on my 1994 pickup, and I got 4:10's. I'd go lower if I had the $. Just my thoughts. I've heard the 4:58's are good...I think it was 4:58....it was another lower geared option on a stock 1994 wahtever it was.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
NickJ said:
Ya I am sure I'll get the search speach. But I have been, and there is a whole lotta loops like you said, and they almost all end with, search and you shall find. I have came to the conclusion that with 31's I would prob be best off with 4.30s. But I believe they are relatively tough to come by and expensive. I am not going to be doing any hardcore wheeling, just playing in the mud, fire roads and for hunting. I do commute to school so I need to keep the MPG decent.
i run 4.30s in my 2.7L 5 Speed with 33's and love it. Only thing that sucks is lonnnnng steep hills, then I go to 4th maybe 3rd. But on interstates i got plenty of get up and go... 0 to about 50 is ok, then 50 to about 65 is a lil slow, but 65 + it picks up agian... i love it.... did i mention i like the combo??? ;)

But I am sure 4.56s would be better, especially on hills. :driving:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
NickJ said:
I bought a 96 x cab with the 2.7 5 speed. With the 225's :eek:. I want to step up to 31" or 32" ATs when the current tires are shot and possibly a lift (will need for 32"). So the truck has the 3.58 :eek: ratio now, for 31" or 32" would it be better to switch to 4.10s or 4.30 gearing. After searching it seems that would be the time to install a locker also. What is the usual total cost to change out the gearing?
stock gearing/tires for Tacos went to 4.30s/31s with the 5sp and 4.56s/31s with the the AT in '01 and continued to '04. some earlier models ATs got 4.56s with factory optional 31" tires. my '00 5sp came stock with 4.30s and optional 265s.

4.30s are hard to find used and are pricy from the Dealer (no aftermarket).
might as well go with 33x10.50s and 4.56s ;)

$600 for parts (front/rear diffs) and $500-1500 in labor depending on location and how much you can do yourself...like pull the diffs. Locker install usually only adds $$ for the price of the locker...except the ARB with all the wiring, etc. install that goes with it/them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right now I am a poor college student, I am not going to see it logical to throw away that much for gearing while in school. I am far too poor. What is the biggest size tires that can be ran with the 3.58s without sacrificing all of my drivability/power?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
NickJ said:
right now I am a poor college student, I am not going to see it logical to throw away that much for gearing while in school. I am far too poor. What is the biggest size tires that can be ran with the 3.58s without sacrificing all of my drivability/power?
based on my experience with your exact set up in the past...... you DON't have many options with the 3.58 gears. You might be able to roll at least one size taller of a tire, but that's about it.

if you don't have the money now, then you could just wait and keep whatever you have now.

This is a pretty expensive hobby indeed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
NickJ said:
30's IMHO. 31's will require 4th gear to climb moderate inclines (I don't mean hills) or if there is a headwind. I did it for a while with disasterous consequences to my fuel mileage, and I also fear my clutch :( . I wheeled some pretty cool trails on my 29's (255's). An aggressive tread pattern will get you far, sliders will help with the clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have stock 4.10 with the 2.7 and run 33" MTR's and it is just fine. Hell the stock 31's were great with that gearing. I am now going to be going with 4.88 and 35's.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
NickJ said:
235s, plain and simple. that's a 29" tire...even then you'll feel a power drop. Your gears are designed for 28s; I know that sucks but welcome to life. If you want the big meats w/o the major power loss, gass mileage loss, extra wear/tear on the drivetrain, etc. you pretty much have to regear. sorry.

start saving $ now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there any tire sizes that would be similar or slightly larger (not enough to take a big hit on power/mpg) in height, but wider. I want something more meaty, but I cant afford gears until college is done. I need to get rid O' them pizza cutters.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
NickJ said:
Are there any tire sizes that would be similar or slightly larger (not enough to take a big hit on power/mpg) in height, but wider. I want something more meaty, but I cant afford gears until college is done. I need to get rid O' them pizza cutters.

Not only does taller affect the power required to turn the tires, but also width... the more mass a tire has (and wider tires are heavier than pizza cutters), as well as more rubber to bend (the tires are always bending when rotating), the more 'rolling resistance' a tire has, and thusly the more power required to turn the tire.... This isn't as much an effect as increasing the diameter, but you have a case where you're trying to get the maximum out of a bad gear ratio, and adding width WILL be noticeable..especially if adding height as well....
Sorry :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I know adding width will also require more power to turn, so it will still be a noticable effect. But if the same height or close to it, it wont have as much effect as height.

·
Registered
651 Posts
you should be able to run 31s with your stock gearing. it will just suck on hills.

it would be better to regear though if you could...better power and mpg.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
trifenix said:
you should be able to run 31s with your stock gearing. it will just suck on hills.
this is somewhat a misleading statement IMO.

It will suck everywhere, not only on hills. In the highway semi trucks will pass ahead of you as if they were riding mustangs. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts