TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought a '98 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7L engine that has 192,000 miles. I've done some searching on here but would still like some advice.

I will be getting an oil change and getting new windshield wipers this weekend to be safe, but what else should I do? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? It has a K&N air filter, which I'll be recharging this weekend also. The owner also provided me with Bilstein rear shocks that I need to install pretty soon.

This is my going to be my daily driver with my '05 GTO becoming a garage queen. Any advice to ensure the longevity of my newly acquired vehicle would be appreciated. BTW, I will not be off-roading very often.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just bought a '98 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7L engine that has 192,000 miles. I've done some searching on here but would still like some advice.

I will be getting an oil change and getting new windshield wipers this weekend to be safe, but what else should I do? Spark plugs? Fuel filter? It has a K&N air filter, which I'll be recharging this weekend also. The owner also provided me with Bilstein rear shocks that I need to install pretty soon.

This is my going to be my daily driver with my '05 GTO becoming a garage queen. Any advice to ensure the longevity of my newly acquired vehicle would be appreciated. BTW, I will not be off-roading very often.
take it to the shop and ask them to look through the whole truck and tell you what it needs whether its belts, oil, or spark plugs.

also, ditch the K&N there has been many threads on how bad it is and how good Truflow is

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I actually plan on taking it to the shop next week. I guess I should have said that. I would be greatful for any more advice. I just want to make sure that I nor the shop over look something.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
watch wehre you take it, some shops try to ream people that say ok whats my truck need

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Any maintenance records?

The water pump should have been done at 90-100K, as well as a valve adjustment. Replacing the timing chain, ignition wires, spark plugs, and all fluids would also be wise.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
Any maintenance records?

The water pump should have been done at 90-100K, as well as a valve adjustment. Replacing the timing chain, ignition wires, spark plugs, and all fluids would also be wise.
Water pump at 100k?? On a 2.7L? Does the factory really recommend that? I've seen almost zero problems with the 2.7L water pumps. I'd really say they only need to be replaced if they are leaking or something. Same thing with the timing chain. Everything else I'd agree should be replaced/serviced.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have a gander at the oil in all your running gear. If there's any sediment, change it out. A lot of people overlook that.

As far as waterpumps go, I've only ever seen problems with the ones that use the FIPG, and I'm pretty sure a '98 2.7L uses a real gasket. If it's not weeping, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have the money and not having maintenance records bugs you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and all fluids for now. As for the other parts mentioned, I'll wait to see what my local shop says. I have a good relation with the guys at the shop and trust their opinion. They have worked on my GTO several times with great results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the recommended diff oil? From what I've read on here, 75W90 Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear oil works well. I'm confused on how much is required also. I found this link, and I'm not sure if I have a "rear diff lock system" or not (I don't think I do). Can somebody please clarify this? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.