TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i have been reading on this site for a couple of weeks now. And i'm Ready to get started on my truck(1995 Tacoma 4x4, 2.7). I purchased the 2.5''lift from Toytec after a lot of researching here. I did that because i didn't want to get in to CV axles issues and such. I'm also considering adding a 2'' body lift. WHen all of this is completed i'm going to put a set of 33's on it. I have a couple of questions, and yes i've searched and read but i think i've missed out on a few key points so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. First off, is it neccessary to change my wheels out for new tires. Can i put 33's on my stock wheels? I don't understand all the stuff about sizes and backspacing, so if i do need to change them what sizes do i need. Also i'd like to do gears when that is finished, and i tried the gear calculator, and i just do not get all that stuff. SO please take it on easy on me because i'm girl just getting started and give me some advice on this. ANy help or suggestions on anything else i need would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
Yes, you will need new rims. The reason is that the bigger tires are wider and will rub on the upper control arm and probably the frame when you turn. The stock backspacing is 4.5". You want to buy some rims that have a backspacing around 3.75". The lower the number, the more the wheel and tire stick out. By pushing the tire farther out, you eliminate the rubbing problems.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Some have done the 255/85/16 or 33/1050/15 on stock wheels and have seem to gotten away with little rub... so they say... If you don't mind the narrow look...

But otherwise... what showstop said...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no problem replacing the wheels, because i can get that specific wheel for about $40 a piece, so i'm thinking that's what i'll go with. If i go dow to a 15x10.5'' wheel, will the 3.75'' backspacing still be ok?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i read that already, but it didn't say much about my truck, or the 15x10'' wheels, i want to get new wheels without using any additional spacers or anything.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wonderful that's the kind of answer i was looking for! And i won't need any kind of spacers or anything with these right? THanks by the way!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
That is what most intelligent folk run here... No spacers... But you'll need about 3 1/2" of lift minimum and some hammer work and trimming to the fender wells...

Less fender work with the lift you intend...

And your welcome... ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i'm gonna have a total of 4 1/2'' of lift with the B/L so hopefully everything should clear really well.

Any suggestions on the gears?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its the 2.7 5-speed. I read in one place that you have to replace front and rear gears, to keep the wheels spinning at the same speed. Then i read somewhere else, that you can't replace the front on tacomas. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya that's what i've gathered from readin around this site, because the truck is still gonna be a DD for a littlw while. My main concerns is like i said before, front and rear at the same time or doing the front at all.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Yes both front and rear must be replaced...

It all depends on your usage... Daily Driver Vs. trail time...

But I would recommend 4.88's

You really should fill out yer sig to list what truck you have so that it is easier to help you...

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
The first post said 2.7L engine, but not tranny type. I'm gonna go on a limb here and just say 4.88 gears.
Yeah I missed that... :doh:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i'll fill that out.

Its a 1995 tacoma, 4x4 2.7 engine.

Yes it will still be driven mostly everyday, and it won't see any serious ridin, just a few local trails that a stock 4x4 can't make it through, i just want to beef it up a little after adding a lift and tires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts