TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these used about a year ago and have taken great care of them (i.e.- I live in NE and salt and sand are major issues) but I just noticed yesterday that my front end has sagged significantly since i installed them a year ago. I have no extra weight up front. I just noticed that when i installed them the front end was not resting on the bump stops, a good 1/2"-1" of spacing. Now the front end is slightly resting on the bump stops. I thought about a rebuild, but I have no leaking and i didn;t think that new coils were a part of a rebuild. Anyone else have this problem with there coils on the newer SAW 2.0's? Thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I bought these used about a year ago and have taken great care of them (i.e.- I live in NE and salt and sand are major issues) but I just noticed yesterday that my front end has sagged significantly since i installed them a year ago. I have no extra weight up front. I just noticed that when i installed them the front end was not resting on the bump stops, a good 1/2"-1" of spacing. Now the front end is slightly resting on the bump stops. I thought about a rebuild, but I have no leaking and i didn;t think that new coils were a part of a rebuild. Anyone else have this problem with there coils on the newer SAW 2.0's? Thanks
resting on the stops?? what did you set them for initially?

I ran my 2.0s for years with 300# of armor up front and actually cranked them down to get better articulation :rolleyes:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I had more than a 1.75"-2" of lift. I haven't measured the wheel to fender distance recently and to tell the truth I never wrote the original lift height down . . . too anxious to get the kit on I forgot that important step. But either way i wouldn;t think that the coils would sag at all without any added weight up front. NE roads are brutal in the winter especially this season with the constant freezing thawing, but I would hope these CO's would hold up very well against that kind of thing. THey have always felt a little stiff . . . controled, but never as smooth as I had expected. But besides that, i am just interested to see if other people have experienced this. I have thought of selling these and replacing with something that requires less maintenence (i.e. OME)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Which spring is on your set. I've been running the 2.0 SAWs with the 675/15 spring for about 40k with 2.25" lift and have had ZERO sagging (yes, I measured). Some may consider the 675# spring a little stiff, but I'm happy with the ride. It feels a lot more like a truck than the stock TRD springs did.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that ALL of the newer SAW 2.0's came with the 675# springs and I am sure that is why it is slightly stiffer than expected. But that does not explain the sagging. I agree about the truck "ride" compared to the stock TRD, but a lot of the time i feel as if the whole truck is being slammed against the road especially on the smaller bumps/ruts. I would be very interested in seeing how a pair of Hoes compared here in New England.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
not sure why you are having issues with them, but i have the newer style with only a slight settling. i have a heavy bumper, winch, and now just added bud built skids... so i would say i have some weight to the coilovers. i think they ride very nice and controled. i have had them for over a year, in the salt belt and they still work great. so maybe you should try ajusting them to get the lift back and see what happens. worst case buy new springs for them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm noob curious....

Let's say I run 2.0 SAWs with an ARB, winch, etc. for a considerable period, decide to go with DRs, pull the SAWs and store them for another considerable period without backing off the preload.

Now, I sell them to Dick Wheeler, he throws them on his basically stock-configured truck, and the ride jars the fillings loose from his teeth. He backs off the preload to soften the ride/decrease ride height. If the coils do initially return to or close to free height, won't they settle considerably because of the period of tension-induced "memory" from previous use/storage?

I'm wondering about this because I parked a grenaded rig with killer 4" leafs in the back yard with the intention of reusing the springs. While parked, I used it for storage and threw about 1500# of crap in the back. When I unloaded the truck a year later, I discovered the springs had lost more than an inch of lift.

Also, I'm probably going to pick up a set of 2.0 SAWs, but that experience has made me real picky when considering a used set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts