TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on this forum for awhile, but have had over a half dozen Toyota 4x4s, including 3 4Runners, 4 pickups, and a couple of LCs. Thinking of getting a newer Tacoma to tow behind our Sprinter based Class C motorhome as well as tow over 6,000 lb with a trailer around home. My current offroader is a lifted, locked, and armored '99 4Runner (5 spd). With that, I know it can be towed on a dolly with the xmission in neutral and the xfer case in 2wd.

My question is, is that the case with newer Taco drivelines as well? I want something that will tow more than the 4Runner will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven't been on this forum for awhile, but have had over a half dozen Toyota 4x4s, including 3 4Runners, 4 pickups, and a couple of LCs. Thinking of getting a newer Tacoma to tow behind our Sprinter based Class C motorhome as well as tow over 6,000 lb with a trailer around home. My current offroader is a lifted, locked, and armored '99 4Runner (5 spd). With that, I know it can be towed on a dolly with the xmission in neutral and the xfer case in 2wd.

My question is, is that the case with newer Taco drivelines as well? I want something that will tow more than the 4Runner will.
Should be good on the Tacomas but for 4runners ... Not sure about the 5th gens but it's a no go on the 4th Gen with the V8 (AWD). Might be doable with the V6 which I understand is similar to the current 5th Gen models.

·
Registered
2020 Tacoma TRD PRO
3 Posts

From my 2020 Tacoma owner's manual:
When towing the vehicle
2WD models: Be sure to transport the vehicle with all four wheels raised off the ground. If the vehicle is towed with the tires contacting the ground, the drivetrain and related parts may be damaged or an accident may occur due to a change in direction of the vehicle.
4WD models: Be sure to transport the vehicle with all four wheels raised off the ground. If the vehicle is towed with the tires contacting the ground, the drivetrain or related parts may be damaged, the vehicle may fly off the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"If the vehicle is towed with the tires contacting the ground, the drivetrain or related parts may be damaged, the vehicle may fly off the truck." Not sure what this means...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts