TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Downey is carrying new springs for the Tacoma (I'm not certain what they carried before). They're NHK springs. Are they any good? Anyone have 'em? I searched for NHK springs, but nothing. I'm looking for 3" to 3.5" springs, which is an option from them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
v6samurai86 said:
It looks like Downey is carrying new springs for the Tacoma (I'm not certain what they carried before). They're NHK springs. Are they any good? Anyone have 'em? I searched for NHK springs, but nothing. I'm looking for 3" to 3.5" springs, which is an option from them.
i looked at downey's springs myself just a little while ago. for the price, they were hard to beat. i went with the 4.5" springs and am happy with them. they initially gave me 5.5" of lift, but have settled down to just a tad over 5" after hauling around some furniture.

PRO:
price is nice

comes with bushings, brake valve extension and SS brake line.

ride is really good. not as soft as stock but not stiff... it's a positive, confidence inducing ride.

easy install - everything fit.

downey forgot to ship the brake line, but one quick phone call and presto! delivered to my door a few days later.

STUFF TO BE AWARE OF (small stuff that i don't consider a "con")....
a little higher than i want (but this is almost a "pro").

had to cut my exhaust pipe off to clear the spring.

the metal bushing sleeves are shorter than the width of the spring hanger. do NOT try and torque it down per instructions... you'll bend your hangers and bind up the springs... (i did this, and my truck road like sh!t). hytenor suggested nyloc nuts, and tightening them until right before the hangers start bending inwards.... worked like magic.

the only "real" negative i can think of is the centering pin actually goes on upside down... the nut that is tightened to compress the leaves together goes inside that little hole on the spring pearch... i was a little hesitant on this, but downey has been making toyota stuff for years... i'm just re-checking and re-torquing my u-bolts to be on the safe side.

never went off road with it yet, but i will really soon.

hope this helps! keep us informed if you decide to go with downey. i wish they sent me some stickers... would've looked real cool on my tool box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts