TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here we go. I finally decided to go ahead and document what I'm doing to this rig even though so far some of the work done to it has been done by a friend who owns his own shop. However, he doesn't get to have all the fun breaking the heads off rusty bolts :)

Starting off I bought this 4Runner back in October 2008, I believe it was. Found it on Craigslist in the St. Louis area. Bought it for $2600 with 114k on the clock, no stereo, no speakers, 2 inch body lift, 33x12.5 Remington Mud Brutes, steel 15 in. wheels, 1 inch helper springs in the rear, factory open 4.10s in the axles, and a low hanging rear hitch (that so far has come in handy protecting the rear bumper and tailgate from damage)
22RE 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, original front seats were replaced with used factory blue color seats, interior pretty good shape other than the cracked dash, and a SR5 gauge cluster out of an '84-'86 model 4Runner was put in so I'm uncertain about the true mileage of the truck

Here it is bringing it home on a U-Haul car dolly

Sittin' at home

I first installed the expensive $300+ Flex-a-lite electric radiator fan. I didn't take any pictures of the process of installing it cause at the time I was having overheating issues then I had to get the headgasket replaced. It's a long story...:rolleyes:

After several months of use

Later on I bought Budbuilt's crossmember and skidplate with the 1 inch drivetrain lift. I took it to work and painted it.

Took it back home, then me and my dad installed it, which we had to put a block on his jack cause when you have a 2 inch body lift and have to raise the drivetrain 1 inch higher, it gets a little tricky.

Here's before-

And after-

After several months of use and abuse-

So after working for a while at my job, I managed to get promoted to being the main powder coater. So, I took advantage of it and powder coated a few parts here and there. My first truck I got was an '87 Toyota Xtra-cab 4x4 back in early 2003. Four years later I managed to mostly restore and make it look pretty. A year later, I sold it to help pay for my Tacoma, but I kept a couple things from that old truck, like my KC fog lights.

I know some of you probably think they're gay and a waste of time and money, but they work great and have two other interchangable lenses, so I think they're worth it.
I also bought the black mirrors to replace the dinky chrome mirrors the truck came with. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I don't remember the exact date, but I know it was before the 2009 TTORA Take Over, which I attended...I managed to get myself an Uniden PC78 Elite CB radio and a Wilson 4 ft. atenna with 18 ft. of coax cable. I've looked on here through the threads of a good spot to put it, but I only liked one spot and that was right next to me in the center console. So, instead of cutting apart the stock console, I tried making one out of wood. That didn't go so well.
Then I tried looking around for one that would fit in between the seats. I looked at several, but they were either too big, or too expensive for my tastes.
Then I remembered seeing that Wal-Mart started selling a center console ment for a van. I took some measurements of the maximum space I wanted it to be in between the seats and read the measurements on the back of the box at Wal-Mart and it came close enough. Best thing about it, if it broke or cracked over time, it was only $30 out of my pocket :)

So I took out the seats and everything that'd be in the way. Ran the wiring for the CB under the carpet.

Drilled holes where the stock mounting holes were. Cut out slots so the seat belt buckles can move a bit. I painted the grey part the same color as the interior, but I should've done more prep work on it. It only took one movement of the passenger seat to scratch and tear up the paint. Oh well, next time I take out the interior I'll take it apart again and do some actual prep work on it :dunno:

Bolted the CB to the black part of it and screwed it down on the gray part of it. It still needs more scews to secure it properly, but surprisingly it's been pretty solid so far. I guess the seats really keep it snug in there :D

Even went as far as cutting out holes for the stock rear window controls :D

Several months later and a few wheeling trips. The little storage thing/rear passenger cup holder broke off from bouncing around. A couple of screws will fix that, no problem. That's why I said earlier it needs more screws to secure it properly.

Remember, if you get lost or broken down, you gotta at least have three things...a cell phone, a road atlas, and some reading material :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sometime later and right before the 2009 TTORA Take Over down in Hot Springs, AR. I painted my front grille black and finally got a full size spare tire (the wheel and tire in the pic is what I'm going to go with to replace the steel wheels that are on the 4Runner now). I also managed to get my hands on a pretty good used blue tailgate to replace the rusty messed up one that was originally on the 4Runner, put in extended differential breathers for both axles, and put in a LED overhead light.

Not noticeable during the day, but at night it's almost blinding

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sometime after the 2009 TTORA Take Over, I decided to get a bigger and better storage box for all my tools and junk, and also have a better mounting spot for my Hi Lift look alike farm jack.
For the storage box I originally had a $50 Rubbermaid truck box from Wal-Mart. It was ok for a while, but I got tired of digging for my tools and junk out of it. So, I thought about getting a big drawer type of box, but the steel metal type you usually see in expedition type trucks are really expensive for my tastes. I also thought about making one out of wood, but I didn't know how long it would last or how well it would handle the weight of all my junk.

So, I started looking around on the internet for some sort of drawer type of storage box and found a reasonably priced plastic storage box called the "SUV Cargo Caddy". Comes in different sizes and 3 colors. Apparently law enforement uses it, but then again that could be just a advertising type of thing. I believe it was just under $300 when taxes and shipping was added, but don't quote me on that.
Here's the website- http://www.suvcargocaddy.com/index.html

So far it's been working out pretty well. Holds a lot of weight inside and out. I'm over 210 lbs. and I can sit on it without it cracking or anything. It JUST fits in there between the wheel wells and I can still use the factory tie downs in the back to hold on to my spare tire.

It's a little heavy to pull out, but I got all my junk packed in there :D

As for the Hi Lift jack, I got my idea for a new mounting spot from 4crawler.com in the cheap tricks section. He mounted his to the factory roll bar with a bolt. I did the same, except I didn't like the idea of having to drill a hole in the roll bar for a bolt. My dad gave me the idea of just using a 3 inch U-bolt from Lowes (or any hardware store, which ever one) and a couple of wing nuts that fit the threads on the U-bolt.

Sure enough it works pretty good. I try my best to move that thing, but it won't budge much at all. I think just one will do alright, but if anyone wants to copy the idea, you could put another U-bolt on the lower part of it to secure it better.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I forget when I installed this next thing, but I would say it was either summer or fall 2009 was when I decided to get an on-board air compressor. I had won a cheap tire repair kit that came with a cruddy air compressor from Take Over...but it couldn't do what an ARB high output could. So, that's what I bought. The high output (CKMA12) ARB compressor kit.

Here it is installed afterwards...
I know the wiring job looks pretty low rate.

At the same time I also decided that it was time I needed a switch panel since I was getting more and more switches to mess with. So me and my dad bought a small cheap metal break from Harbor Freight and made panels that sits under my radio. Made side panels for it to make it look fancy, then took it to work and powdercoated it "silver sparkle" color. The extra holes are for switches that will probably come later on down the road.

switch for the electric fan is the green one, then the ARB compressor switch, then the orange one is for my fog/driving lights.

If I decide to put in different types of switches, it'll be real easy to make another panel. However, I need to go back and redo the electric fan switch and put in an on-off-on type switch so then I can actually shut off the fan when going through deep water. Right now I can manually turn it on and it also comes on automatically when it gets to a certain temperature...but once it's on auto and at that auto-on temp., it doesn't shut off till the radiator cools down enough :rolleyes:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in winter 2010, Glen of Arkansas chapter told me the idea of upgrading the brakes on my 4Runner. So I looked into it and found what I needed.
I bought a used dual diaphram brake booster from a '92 V6 4Runner off eBay, bought a new Aisin brake master cylinder ment for a FJ80 Landcruiser off eBay, and bought new calipers, rotors and pads all ment for a '93 V6 4Runner.
Since it was still freezing cold outside and my 4Runner can't fit in the low ceiling of my garage, I had my buddy, who owns his own shop, do all the work.
Then a couple of months after THAT job, I also had him install a Marlin Crawler 1200 ft. lb. clutch kit and replace the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder...which they needed to be replaced anyway.

The 4Runner stops pretty good now. As for the clutch, I don't notice any difference compared to the old one, which needed to be replaced cause my flywheel was in bad shape and the clutch disk's springs were loose. In my opinion, all this money spent on just these two upgrades, is well worth it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Near the beginning of March, I thought it was time to FINALLY get a rear locker and new gears for this rig. My plan is to buy a complete third member from Marlin Crawler.
I'll eventually either get an ARB air locker for the front or a Detroit TrueTrac LSD for it.

As for the rear, I bought a '89 V6 pickup rear axle with the axle shafts for $100, cause my buddy at the shop told me the V6 rear end was stronger. It was only till recently I learned that it wasn't the housing that was stronger, it was the V6 third member that's stronger than the 4 cyl. version. Oh well, I got spare axle shafts if I need them and it'll be easier to work on the axle when I install the new third member.

Since I'm going to be spending $1600 on a third member from Marlin Crawler, I figured spending a little more on some armor would be good insurance to protect the new parts for the rear.
I had a co-worker weld it on to the new rear axle for me in exchange for powdercoating some of his parts for him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
FINALLY, I'm getting some things done on this truck. The new front axle with 4.88 gearing is in the truck and now currently broken in and ready for fun.
Unfortunetly, it remains to be an open axle, which I guess is not all that bad.

(8-19-10) I finally took the truck in to get its new and improved rear axle, 4.88 gearing and third member with locker installed. However, I'm not letting my buddy hook up the air line, switch, etc. I'd rather do that myself. I bought the purge valve kit from Marlin to go with it.

The old rear axle that I'm going to keep for a future project

The new and improved rear axle

Installed

When I came to take pictures of the progress, they told me they had hit a stopping point for now. The shock mounts I bought from Budbuilt go in fine, but the OEM shocks are too short for the new mounts. Plus, the gas tank skid plate has been knocked backward a bit, so it's in the way of the shocks too. Reason for the new mounts is I bought a U-bolt flip kit from Marlin. I had to say goodbye to the OEM bumpstops too. I'll figure something out later on those, I guess.
So I got the new shocks ordered and should be on their way. Hopefully, they'll get done with it on Wednesday or Thursday this week (8/25-8/26/10)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I keep forgetting to update this thing. As of a last month I've got a couple things done, but lately it's been hard to do ANY work at all to the 4Runner since I got myself another mouth to feed...a brown labrador puppy.

Anyway, I finally got around to installing the air line, hooking up the solenoid, and I also bought myself a purge valve from Marlin Crawler to keep moisture or whatever out of the locker.

I had some lettering decals from my remote control racing days left over.

Since I found out a few months ago that the OEM temp. gauge is reading incorrectly, I decided to go with O'Reily's aftermarket gauges but keep the OEM gauge cluster in its place.

I'll eventually put an inclinometer I kept from an older Toyota pickup I had, on top of those aftermarket gauges.

I also managed to get my hands on a couple SR5 seats. The driver seat I got from Pick'n'Pull for $25. However, someone already snatched the passenger seat. So I emailed my used parts guy in the St. Louis area and he managed to find me a passenger seat that I was looking for.
The driver seat is in much better shape than the passenger one, but I'm going to eventually get them reupholstered with some embroidery on them.

As for now, those are the last of the projects for this year. I've bought an IFS brace from San Diego Off Road Innovations, but I'm going to have my buddy install it and replace my IFS steering box cause mine is leaking. Other than that stuff, I have no other upgrades or fixes for the 4Runner other than some armor........for now anyway :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update finally (Feb. 19, 2011)

Got the new seats to an upholstery shop and got them back this last week.

Went from non-SR5 blue/gray seats

To now these reupholstered SR5 seats

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the newly installed IFS brace. I'll wait till it gets back to being warm.

New tires are next in line and hopefully I can redo my center console. I'm planning on putting an ammo can over the CB radio to keep it covered and to have an armrest again.

:kewl: :welder:

I got bored after work one day and decided to climb up on one of the snow piles at work.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've been so busy that I haven't got to update the build thread lately. It started probably around Spring time 2011. I sold my '04 Tacoma dbl. cab and got a good amount of money from it. Now I'm pouring more money into the 4Runner.

I bought myself a welder and decided to get the 4Runner repainted and to fix the cancer issues I've had.

Me taking the interior out

I found more rust than I wanted to see

After cleaning the welds off, I threw down fiberglass resin with cloth on each patch and put three layers on top of them. THEN on the outside of each patch, I threw a green fiberglass putty on them to strengthen them even more. Hopefully all that fiberglass will help keep the moisture out.

I had bought some used fenders from a guy on here a while back. I took the old ones off. Then I scuffed, primed, and rattlecanned undercoated the inner structure to keep it from rusting.

I thank my friend for letting me use his compressor and shop so I could spray bed liner in my truck. This is POR-15's truck bed liner. I covered the floor, inside the quarter panels and inside the wheel wells. 1 1/4 gal. worth of truck bed liner and now it looks clean.

You can barely see my patches

I forgot to paint the removable panel that covers the fuel pump. Oh well, I'll rattlecan it with undercoating later.

Before I got the interior painted, I finally got the truck painted (except for the fiberglass top)
These pictures are after I painted the truck bed liner in. These are with the bugshield and new Bushwacker fender flares.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
December 2011-January 2012
I recieved my front bumper, but not the rear bumper yet. Also shown is the new tires and wheels.

After paint and welded on brackets. I made the license plate mount myself.

Nothing special, just decals

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
March 2012 The rear bumper FINALLY arrives.

Naked without OEM bumper and Aftermarket hitch.

Test fit

After paint

I decided to make a removable angle iron piece to help reinforce the spare tire hoist cross-member on the frame...since the new rear bumper partially bolts to it.

I also decided to paint the back half of the frame with POR-15 to kinda help out with the rust issue. Over 20 years of being in Missouri all its life. What can you do? :dunno:

Now I just gotta wait on the hoist mounted tire carrier to finish off the look of the rear.

Still working hard on her :kewl: :welder:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts