TTORA Forum banner

Nitro Gear / Just Differentials, Project 200 Series Land Cruiser

7K views 13 replies 1 participant last post by  JTSDIFFS 
#1 ·
After 11 years in the 100 series, and being my favorite most trusty Toyota over the years it is time to try something new. That minivan looking white one in he middle is our next project. Aiming to build the "TRD Pro 200 Series" that didn't exist.

So far plans are: (links to products)
-Nitro Gear 4.88 Ring & Pinions, install kits (gear package)
-ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear
-ARB Twin Compressor CKMTA12
-Long Travel Suspension, combo of OE & Billet Icon Front Uppers, Rear lower links, Bypass shocks
-TRD Pro 18" Tundra wheels, black
-Nitto Trail Grappler 285/75r18 or 37x12.50r18
-trimming?
-Custom Bumpers, possibly prerunner style
-Sliders
-fridge, mount, lights, etc

See less See more
#2 ·
1st mod
Vais Tech bluetooth A2DP Streaming & Unlock for head unit.

2nd mod
-Long Travel setup with OEM Tundra Lower Control arms, Tie Rod ends, CV shafts, Billet Icon Upper Control Arms, TRD Pro Bilstein 60mm Piggyback shocks with Internal Zone Control Progressive 3 rate dampening, Old Man Emu Rear Coils. 1.5" rear wheel spacers, 3" Wider Track, 3" front lift, 1" rear lift for level stance. Considerable increase in wheel travel. Initial dirt road testing on worn out stock tires proved to be a very nice ride.

3rd mod
TRD Pro Tundra 18" Black wheels, with Nitto Trail Grappler 285/75R18. Yeah I wanted bigger too, but will wait until we can do custom body work, bumpers, etc.

#4 ·
#6 ·
We touched on this rig a few weeks back, but now with it attending it’s first event at Cruise Moab we wanted to detail the changes and additions since that time to get it ready for some rockcrawling. As you may recall we put one of these sweet Land Cruisers (ours is a 2008 model) into the fleet late last summer after selling off our long serving 100 series Cruiser. We’ve been using it to develop product and putting it together as our take on what a TRD Pro version of the 200 series would look like if Toyota had/were to build one.

Nitro Gear 4.88 gearsets are mounted to ARB Air Lockers front and rear with an ARB twin compressor mounted under the hood giving us the ability to air up the tires after a run on the trail. With Moab in the plans locking diffs were a must and the ARB units offer the strength and reliability we were looking for in this project.

This is a big Toyota and even with the lift and bigger tires we knew the belly and rockers would be vulnerable offroad. With that in mind we put a full ARB skid plate system underneath doing some minor modifications so this system (designed for the Aussie diesel model) so it would work on the US spec V8 powered cruiser. With fantastic strength to weight properties the ARB underbody skid plates give us a lot of piece of mind in the rocks and should slide over obstacles much easier as well. For the rockers we did a set of Slee Offroad units that are very heavy duty and still act as steps when needed.

Up front we used a hidden winch mount setup behind the oe bumper with a Warn 9.5XP winch running a Factor 55 thimble in the hawse fairlead. The solenoid pack was remote mounted under the hood and a Warn remote control unit added to allow winch control without opening the hood. Why the hidden mount? We just weren’t super excited about any of the winch bumpers out there for the 200 series and at least for now like the clean appearance the hidden winch setup gives us.

#7 ·
We ran out of time on a couple things before Cruise Moab, but did get an ARB dedicated locking fridge plug/harness installed to power our trusty ARB fridge on and ARB fridge slide/drawer for easy access. We’ll be installing additional drawers in the tail at some point in the near future as well to improve locking storage for better security.

With all the initial mods completed we’ve driven the 1000 miles to Moab and been putting this Cruiser through it’s paces this week on the rocks. It’s amazingly capable for it’s size, has great flex for an IFS rig and the lockers and gears have been giving the traction when needed. No doubt we’ll have some changes to make when it comes home, but for now we’re just having a blast using it and wheeling with friends, both old and new.

#8 ·
Cruise Moab was a great trip. We arrived to Moab late Tuesday night and led Hell’s Revenge Friday, the truck did awesome ON and OFF road. I never hit the front bumper, The rear I hit the right rear corner a couple times. I did some of the optional obstacles like one of the mild hot tub and Tip over challenge. I also got to do some 50 mph whoops with a truckload of people in the truck and it does awesome.

NOTE: The 4.88’s are essential. The gear change really improved performance and economy. Before the gear change I was averaging 10-12 MPG while on 35s with stock 3.90.
On this trip to Moab, I was traveling with another truck, a 100 series on stock gears and 33’s and He would put in 3 more gallons at EVERY fillup. 17.5 vs 20.5 g etc. One long pass he used 5 gallons more than me! I had cruise set anywhere between 70mph and 85 mph and averaged 15, with 17mpg on one of the tanks through salt lake stretch. The 200 has a .58:1 overdrive in 6th gear. Regearing for larger tires is especially important on the 200 Series, since the stock gearing is 3.90, which is WAY to high to stay in 6th gear on a stock truck, and is much worse on 35's. 4.88's and 35's put the RPM's right at 2000 RPM at 70 MPH, so the truck stays in 6th gear.

This was fully loaded to the ceiling with drawers, fridge, bike and rack, show displays, table, gears, axles, parts for show etc!

#12 ·
Carl is leaving this wed from WA to start a 10 day, 3000+ mile "Ultimate Dadventure" with 2 kids in the 200 Series and the rooftop tent. He will be heading through WA, OR, ID, UT, CO, NM and maybe some other states too. With a stop at Silverton for the 6th annual 100s in the hills event.

He will have some Nitro Gear Giveaway items (cups, coozies, bags, goodies for the kids) and some raffle items (t shirts, hoodies, track mats and gift cards for Nitro-Gear).

Look for the 200 series on the road!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.