TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I have a CO2 setup that I was thinking of converting over to Nitrogen. Doable do you think? I know I'd have to revalve it for filling with nitrogen. It's a steel tank so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I won it in an AZ Rocks raffle and have never used it. Carlos even customized it for me.

Bottle, regulators, hose, ends, etc...I built my own using top quality components. Virtually new with full tank. $300 obo

Example, though my tank is bigger and no case.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...-Kit-p-56.html

623-262-two894

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a CO2 setup that I was thinking of converting over to Nitrogen. Doable do you think? I know I'd have to revalve it for filling with nitrogen. It's a steel tank so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I won it in an AZ Rocks raffle and have never used it. Carlos even customized it for me.
Tanks should be identical, the regulators would be different due to much higher pressures with nitrogen I believe. .02

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Administrator
18,243 Posts
CO2 and Nitrogen use different CGA fittings for the regulators. Just get the right tank and reg.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I run a CO2tank. why change to N2. Just for the benefit of using on the shocks? Or is it dryer/better for air tools?

Costco said they would fill it with N2. I did realize I need a different reg. Shoot.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a CO2tank. why change to N2. Just for the benefit of using on the shocks? Or is it dryer/better for air tools?

Costco said they would fill it with N2. I did realize I need a different reg. Shoot.
Primarily, CO2 obviously shouldn't be used on shocks, in addition, Nitrogen molecules are bigger, meaning they leak down slower if you have "imperfections" from wheeling.:D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well the first regulator stage will be, that's fer sure. However, I've been known to cobble those too. I took and old welding regulator and changed the spring for use with a nitrogen tank. I used a chevy small block valve spring that I cut down to fit. Yeah I know it may have been shade tree but it did work. LOL
The tank fitting on both sides will change too.

Tanks should be identical, the regulators would be different due to much higher pressures with nitrogen I believe. .02

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I think they say to use nitrogen because it doesn't contain oxygen which can break down and react with oils etc.and the fact there is less change in volume with temperature or some such nonsence. But I don't think there is a whole heap of difference between air and nitrogen. Remember air is 80% nitrogen.
In Costco's case I think the main goal has more to do with marketing than anything else.

BTW Mike, I don't think Nitrogen atoms are larger than molecules of CO2. Have you looked at a periodic table lately. No, not your wife's periodic table, dumb ass.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW Mike, I don't think Nitrogen atoms are larger than molecules of CO2. Have you looked at a periodic table lately. No, not your wife's periodic table, dumb ass.
Piss off, you know I can't read!!!:D
My understanding is that Nitrogen is inert. Doesn't harm the wheel or tire. It also has large molecules so it does not leach through the rubber. It's also less prone to expansion by heat/cold. Normally, whatever pressure you put in the tire tends to stay that way for some time. It's very commonly used in race tires as it doesn't expand as rapidly when the tires get hotter. I personally wouldn't get rid of a CO2 setup for a Nitrogen setup for tires alone...shocks are why it's truly needed. .02

·
Administrator
18,243 Posts
My understanding is that Nitrogen is inert. Doesn't harm the wheel or tire. It also has large molecules so it does not leach through the rubber. It's also less prone to expansion by heat/cold. Normally, whatever pressure you put in the tire tends to stay that way for some time. It's very commonly used in race tires as it doesn't expand as rapidly when the tires get hotter.
Bingo! :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not really. Nitrogen expands the same as air.

PV=NrT.

It's very commonly used in race cars because it's a PITA to wheel a compressor around but a tank is pretty easy to transport.

It's also just about the same size as air, remember, air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

It is more inert than air, but not by much, remember, air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

Nitrogen is a marketing gimmick in tires. Nothing more.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so lots of "cool stories" in this thread. Is anyone interested in a nitrogen setup for their coilovers or airshocks? Obviously we've learned that using nitrogen in your tires will likely lead to catastrohic events and more than likely cause you to kill a busfull of nuns, so please DON'T use this tank to fill tires....come to think of it, I never have because I use my comressor.:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
you dont wheel so why fill up the tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts