TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these tires:
Nitto Terra Grappler AT - Toyo Open Country AT - BFG AT
Will be going on 05 double cab taco and used mostly in desert/dunes in and around Vegas and surrounding areas,will be getting on wed afternoon need some opinions!! TIA!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
In my experience with every all terrain tire, the BFG cannot be beat in performance. Treadwear and ride quality are not at the top of the list, but with the AT category, it's hard to notice the difference. BFG is a proven compromise between an agressive MT and a street tire. I own a set in the stock size and have been really impressed with what my truck will do with the locker on. It's the best selling all terrain for a reason. Go to an outdoors equipment store such as Bass Pro Shops, Academy, etc and you will notice that half the trucks in the parking lot run BFG AT. Plus the BFG looks better than the rest but that's just my opinion. You won't be dissapointed if you buy them.
-Matt

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
dnstaco said:
Which of these tires:
Will be going on 05 double cab taco and used mostly in desert/dunes in and around Vegas and surrounding areas,will be getting on wed afternoon need some opinions!! TIA!!!
Ive had my bridgestone dualer revos for about a month now and they dont even compair to the original bfg's. The ride is much quieter and they handle much better too. They are alittle pricey but well worth it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Even if some consider them to ride much better than other ATs, they still ride a lot better than any MT.
-Matt

·
The Road Less Traveled
88 Posts
I make many trips to the Mojave Preserve and Death Valley, the BFG AT's have never let me down. I've used BFG's on several vehicles in the past 10 years and most vehicles in my Off-Road group use them too, I won't buy any other brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dnstaco said:
Which of these tires:
I've had 8 sets of the BFG AT's and I agree with what has been said but I just put a set on Nitto TG's on my Landcruiser and they are my new favorite tire! :D I'm probably going to get a set for the Taco.
Scott

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies...still not sure,probably won't decide till I'm there looking at them...I will report back with decision and test run!!Thanks!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Give they toyos a try! Mike over at donahoe has run a lot of tires and now he swears by the toyo ATs. I agree with him. They are MUCH quieter on-road than the bfgs, last longer, and even work better in sand/silt. SO, I reccomend the Toyos, but that is just me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nitto brand is manufactured by Toyo, the Nitto AT's have a softer stickier compound that the Toyo open country At's and the siping is not cut as deep into the tread so they won't keep the wet traction as long when they wear (both will last over 50K with good maintenance) but the asphalt grip is really good on a brand new set of Nitto's espesually if you take them to the drag strip...Both are far better all around than the BFG AT and cost less.

I am on my fifth set of Toyo's and would take them over any other tire out there...Michelin manufactures the BFG brand but the AT's are not as good as the Michelin AT's in on road performance and handling and they are marginal off road IMO..BFG's do have the Severe winter conditions label(why they cost so much) but I have found they don't perform as well in snow and ice as the Toyo Open Country 410's I currently have on my truck and they aren't even close in handling and ride and cost $40-50 more per tire!

I've run a whole hell of a lot of tire brands...Toyo's performance, quality and price beat them all IMO!
obviously I would highly recommend them!

sorry I didn't see this sooner!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the Nitto terra grapplers LT265/75/R16 ended up picking up about an inch in diameter and just a tad in width...they ride awesome,we will see the off-road abilities on sunday @ Dumont...FYI discount tire said that the LT285/70/R16 would fit with stock setup but I didn't want to spill out more bucks for wider rims!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nitto TG's are around $40-$50 less PER TIRE than BFG AT's.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I didn't, just read about them
I personally just checked out the Nitto terra Grappler, I really liked them
but I am going to look for Toyos and some other brands, too
I just bought myself a 02 F-350 4x4 tow rig!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts