TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was out in the woods today with my 01 tundra and I got stuck bad because my 4 wheel drive wouldn't engage and i'm pissed off my mechanic doesn't know why and neither do i please somebody help me.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
check all the vacuum lines going into/out of the front diff?

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is an actuator that is located on the diff that could be taken off and then you could clean the connections.

Does it still not work? Or was it an isolated incident? Mine is sometimes moody and it didn't work at all one day, but now it does. I just wheeled for an entire day and it was fine.

You're ADD actuator or the actuator assembly (on the transfer case) could be the culprit. Have your mechanic check those for possible resistance to see if they are working correctly.

If if's not that.....I don't know :confused:

Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pull the plug and apply positive volts to pin 2 and ground pin 6.....if you hear a noise it means its not the ADD

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i always keep a spare actuator for my taco at all times while wheeling....for the simple fact that this has also happened to me...seems like they go out at the damnedest times....good luck with the fix

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you compromise the vacuum line, it'll take on water and rust out the actuator. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't, then it'll finally crap out.

Not familiar with the tcase actuator, but Jon (01tundra) has taken his tcase to pieces and might have some ideas.

If you need parts, there's a 4wd 00 Tundra at a yard here in Denver, the front drivetrain was still intact (minus inner CV joints) as of Saturday, including the 4wd ECU. It's at the Yota Yard. No affiliation, they're just good guys and gave me a really good deal on the parts I needed, and I can tell you firsthand the parts are in good shape.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a fresh t-case & ADD, if you end needing something drop me a PM.

Lay under your rig with the key on and have somebody engage the 4WD, you should hear the ADD actuator shifting positions. If you have no noise coming from it - probably the ADD took a dump on you, if it's making the noise but not engaging - most likely a bent/broken shifting fork or cracked low range gear.

Here's what it looks like tore down (and before anybody comments on them.....YES, the apples were a factory option :)!)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a fresh t-case & ADD, if you end needing something drop me a PM.

Lay under your rig with the key on and have somebody engage the 4WD, you should hear the ADD actuator shifting positions. If you have no noise coming from it - probably the ADD took a dump on you, if it's making the noise but not engaging - most likely a bent/broken shifting fork or cracked low range gear.

Here's what it looks like tore down (and before anybody comments on them.....YES, the apples were a factory option :)!)

yeah well the actuator is working and i was hoping it wasn't the fork because that is some serious labor

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed it temporarily it looks like some water got into the actuator and the armature that moves got rusted so i greased it up a bit and it works fine for now. I can say one thing though it is a poor design.

·
Registered
118 Posts
NO diff has one too.... one is on the drivers side rear of the t-case and one is on the front diff on the pass rear on the axle tube.....Read the FSM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts