1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a shame that you cant get a 05 up, double cab tacoma long bed with a 5 or 6 speed,its handy if you tow alot like i do, maybee they will offer it in the future.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
its a shame that you cant get a 05 up, double cab tacoma long bed with a 5 or 6 speed,its handy if you tow alot like i do, maybee they will offer it in the future.
On the tacoma I actually think the 5spd auto is the better choice for towing...

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the tacoma I actually think the 5spd auto is the better choice for towing...
I have both, the 5 spd does work a lot better than the previous auto's, but the 6 spd is a beast. I pulled a 16 ft flatbed trailer, loaded down with fridge, washer/dryer, furniture, and a ton of other crap on it about 300 miles running around 75 the hole way. Loved it. And I pull a boat with both of them very regularly. . I have found that the auto likes to down shift on even the smaller hills, even in 4, not D, which is what it is supposed to do. But with the 6 spd and its lower gearing, you can run in 6th gear all the time unless you get on a really big hill. Just my two cents but I feel that pulling with a manual also has many benefits (better braking abilities, lower first gear, not searching for gears on a hill, etc). But I can't say that the auto does not tow well, it does. But in an over all comparison, I think the 6 spd pulls ahead.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have both, the 5 spd does work a lot better than the previous auto's, but the 6 spd is a beast. I pulled a 16 ft flatbed trailer, loaded down with fridge, washer/dryer, furniture, and a ton of other crap on it about 300 miles running around 75 the hole way. Loved it. And I pull a boat with both of them very regularly. . I have found that the auto likes to down shift on even the smaller hills, even in 4, not D, which is what it is supposed to do. But with the 6 spd and its lower gearing, you can run in 6th gear all the time unless you get on a really big hill. Just my two cents but I feel that pulling with a manual also has many benefits (better braking abilities, lower first gear, not searching for gears on a hill, etc). But I can't say that the auto does not tow well, it does. But in an over all comparison, I think the 6 spd pulls ahead.
There certainly are some better gearing choices, with the additional gear. The lower 1st gear is washed by the torque converter. Its really to each their own. In diesel rigs I prefer a manual, in gas rigs I prefer an auto, espically a 5spd auto like this one that learns... I have yet to have mine grab 3rd on a hill... and it doenst seem to hunt at all, goes from 5 to 4 and stays there, unless I really take my foot out of it or slow way down on CC, and thats staying in "D"... well see what happens this summer as I add more weight to the trailer. Using the SGII I do know that it waits so shift out of OD until its at 94-96% LOD, not sure it can reach 100, but thats pretty much as much power as it can make in 5th, then it shifts... I like it, and all my previous toys have been manuals..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts