TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to do my plugs at 75k, so I went out and bought some Bosch Platinum twin-ground plugs for my '02 V6. Of course, now that the receipt is long-gone, I read here http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/
under "Replace" that the plugs should NOT be platinum.

Just wondering why this is. Is there THAT much of a difference, that I shouldn't install them?

Thanks for any input,

Beave

·
Registered
264 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to do my plugs at 75k, so I went out and bought some Bosch Platinum twin-ground plugs for my '02 V6. Of course, now that the receipt is long-gone, I read here http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/
under "Replace" that the plugs should NOT be platinum.

Just wondering why this is. Is there THAT much of a difference, that I shouldn't install them?

Thanks for any input,

Beave
LOL, I think that means "replace your spark plugs at 30,000 miles, unless you have platinum plugs installed." Platinum plugs are supposed to last longer than 30,000 miles. :D

Go ahead and use the bosch platinums, as long as they are the correct heat range they will be fine. I have heard a lot of people say they prefer denso or NGK to bosch, but you can't take them back.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bosch platinum plugs work fine. Some people say that you must use NGK plugs but when you ask them why or what data they have backing that up they come up short, way short :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks guys.

Beave

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
speaking of plugs, my engine is shorting out cuz of this header, whats a good brand of performance plugs

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
tanKoma said:
speaking of plugs, my engine is shorting out cuz of this header, whats a good brand of performance plugs
you sure its not a plug wire shorting out on the header or someting else?

·
Registered
64 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Bosch platinum plugs work fine. Some people say that you must use NGK plugs but when you ask them why or what data they have backing that up they come up short, way short :rolleyes:
I don't have any data, but I know a reputable mechanic, that put Bosch in a Toyota, and said it ran a little rough, and when he pulled them and replaced them with NGK's it ran like a sewing machine. Just my .02

·
Registered
60 Posts
M3Man02 said:
I don't have any data, but I know a reputable mechanic, that put Bosch in a Toyota, and said it ran a little rough, and when he pulled them and replaced them with NGK's it ran like a sewing machine. Just my .02

all i know is not to use the platinum +4's. the previous owner had those in and i had many of the prongs break off in the cylider. one even had all 4 break off...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2000 V6 didn't like the bosch. Don't know why, but it ran rougher and actually stalled on the interstate once with an ignition issue, though after cycling the key a few times I got back underway. May not have been related, but I've got no other guesses and it was a week after putting the bosch plugs in.

I run NGK now and they match what toyota recommends.

You could probably return them without a receipt to most places, but would will probably be ok to use them.

Is it hard for you to change your plugs or is it a big deal? If it is something you want to do and never think about for 60,000 miles, go swap for what the book says. If you are willing to expect things to be fine, but know you could have to swap out later, throw those bosch plugs in.

Have fun.

Daniel

·
Registered
485 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Data? How bout they are a factory plug that is designed specifically to work with Toyota motors. A Bosch plug is made for GM vehicles, granted your truck will run on Bosch but if you can get NGK or Denso's, go with those

·
Registered
485 Posts
M3Man02 said:
And yet more evidence, I might suggest sucking up your loss and going and buying some NGK's. I am pretty sure you will end up pulling the Bosch's back out anyways due to what these two guys were saying

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
97TacoDude said:

- So do you have any quantitative data in favor of the Bosch Platinums ? And Why you should spend the money on Bosch plugs over a cheaper plug?

If you want long-life plugs what about the Denso iridiums. Its not an issue of platinum /non- platinum.
I responded in yet Another :rolleyes: one of your Plug posts with the CE light & rough idle isolated to the Bosch plugs here:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39293&postcount=6

Never said that you HAVE to use NGK/ Densos either- but Its hard to argue against a $1.40 (From Toyota Dealership) spark plug that works without problems .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts