TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. Literally joined just to solve this issue.

1999 Tacoma prerunner 2wd auto trans manual windows and locks. Previously wrecked on the right side so missing the headlight signal and antenna. It ran with a battery jump and we drove it on to the trailer. All the dash lights, radio, everything worked it just needed a fender lights tie rod and bumper.
Bought it in Louisiana. Drove it 3 hours back home. In the rain might I add not sure if that would matter but I think it could be a factor. Anyways. Got it back home and no crank. No power to cluster, radio, clock, tail lights, ac/heat, etc. the headlight will come on and it will ding when you stick the key in but nothing when you turn it won’t even dim the headlight. You can jump the starter on the battery to crank it. Replaced the ignition switch with a used one. Changed nothing. Replaced the computer under the dash with a used one. Replaced relays, fuses, battery. Checked all of the grounds (I think). Replaced the radiator just because it needed a new one. I started out saying ignition switch but I’m just not sure. I have never seen one kill power to everything if it was bad. Any input? A direction? Troubleshooting tips? Known gremlins that I haven’t found on the internet??

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Does it have any type of alarm?

I had a similar situation when replacing my head unit one time.
I had popped the fuse on the head unit and the dome light fuse.
That dome light fuse killed my truck. My guess is the dome light circuit interrupted the kill switch of the alarm. Took me years to put two and two together.

Even if yours doesn’t have an alarm my biggest point is weird shit happens so check all of the fuses.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
Being a parts changer only gets you lucky if you find the problem part. Get yourself a volt meter and start checking the wiring. Check that the ignition switch has power, then chase the circuits from there.

You mentioned grounds. Be sure your battery grounds are both connected. One lead goes to the engine, the other to the body. There is also a ground lead from the engine to the firewall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts