TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally wrapped up fixing my broken flexplate on my 99' Tacoma (3.4 A/T) including an IPT valvebody upgrade. It feels like there is a lot of resistance when I'm accelerating and I also lost reverse. I had reverse when I finished but lost it after driving around the block a couple of times. I can't even push the truck backwards in neutral. I'm stumped on what it could be. There isn't any grinding noises or anything to go by... I really don't feel like dropping the pan or this f'n transmission again. I was extremely careful so I wouldn't have to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd start at the valve body. See if you're getting the proper pressures and go from there. Make sure the gasket is on correctly and not covering any of the fluid ports.

Good luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if it's the VB. Why can't I push the truck in Neutral? Something is keeping it from rolling.. Brakes aren't stuck either. I think if I can figure that part out, it will solve everything...

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Sounds like the shifter linkage isn't lined up correctly. Could have been due the linkage bolt coming loose. With the shifter in park and wheels chucked, loosen the linkage and insure that it's maxed all the way back.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the shifter linkage isn't lined up correctly. Could have been due the linkage bolt coming loose. With the shifter in park and wheels chucked, loosen the linkage and insure that it's maxed all the way back.
I did that this morning. Linkage is good.. When it's in Neutral, it binds when I try to roll it back. I disconnected the rear drive shaft and the output shaft on the transmission will not rotate in the reverse direction. I'm really stumped. I hope John at IPT can point me in the right direction tomorrow morning. .

·
Registered
114 Posts
The problem is in the valve body you installed.Sounds like the holding bands are holding pressure because a check ball or passage is in the wrong area or something.I would check with a trans guy to be sure,maybe take out the valve body and take it with you to a trans shop that knows toyotas.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a tranny fail kind of like that on a company car. It was like it was trying to be in two gears at once and it was binding up.

It started acting up soon after a tranny replacement and I tried to drive it back to the maintenance shop. Well the whole world locked up on the way. I could not even push it out of the intersection I was jamming up.

They could not even rotate it to get it loose from the engine. They had to bust the tranny casing off at the bell housing to get it off of the engine.

Yep, Jasper did a good job on that one...

Finally got it back on the road, made it one mile and that replacement tranny blew right apart dumping ATF all over the road and smoked like crazy.

I sure hope you have better luck that I did with that car. Just glad it was not mine...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is in the valve body you installed.Sounds like the holding bands are holding pressure because a check ball or passage is in the wrong area or something.I would check with a trans guy to be sure,maybe take out the valve body and take it with you to a trans shop that knows toyotas.
Makes sense.. I was thinking the manual valve wasn't engaged right on the rooster comb. But why did reverse work then not work? Your theory makes sense. I'm going to call John in the morning and pick his brain before I drop the pan again....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a tranny fail kind of like that on a company car. It was like it was trying to be in two gears at once and it was binding up.

It started acting up soon after a tranny replacement and I tried to drive it back to the maintenance shop. Well the whole world locked up on the way. I could not even push it out of the intersection I was jamming up.

They could not even rotate it to get it loose from the engine. They had to bust the tranny casing off at the bell housing to get it off of the engine.

Yep, Jasper did a good job on that one...

Finally got it back on the road, made it one mile and that replacement tranny blew right apart dumping ATF all over the road and smoked like crazy.

I sure hope you have better luck that I did with that car. Just glad it was not mine...
Damn Gadget, you're not making me feel very good about it...;) I will keep you guys posted on this...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I installed the VB when the Trans was out. This means that the trans was belly up (upside down). I really didn't think this would be a factor... Is it a bad thing to put an automatic transmission upside down?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked to John and he is isn't sure what the problem is. He seems to think that I burned up the reverse clutches and they are seized. I guess I will find out tonight when I pull out the VB.

My dip stick registered being full after about 7 quarts.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
did u check the level after you cranked the motor or before, when u fill it up you have to turn the motor on and let the fluid circulate and fill it some more until its at the correct level

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just talked to John and he is isn't sure what the problem is. He seems to think that I burned up the reverse clutches and they are seized. I guess I will find out tonight when I pull out the VB.

My dip stick registered being full after about 7 quarts.
I don't know where in VA your are, but you could put that puppy on a U-Haul trailer and tow it up to Jon and have him fix the whole thing in a day.

When I have my Tranny done by that other company near him, I left at 0400 and was there before they opened and was home that night with a complete overhaul.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did u check the level after you cranked the motor or before, when u fill it up you have to turn the motor on and let the fluid circulate and fill it some more until its at the correct level
I checked it before cranking after adding about 5 quarts. Once I started the motor I backed out of the garage and shut off the engine and added 4.5 more quarts and checked it again (it was fine). I then jacked up the rear and went through the gears. Then I took it for a test drive around the block (less then a mile). I still had reverse at this point. My wife moved it twice while it was in the drive and it still had reverse. When I went to drive it a few hours later, I didn't have reverse. I blame my wife..

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know where in VA your are, but you could put that puppy on a U-Haul trailer and tow it up to Jon and have him fix the whole thing in a day.

When I have my Tranny done by that other company near him, I left at 0400 and was there before they opened and was home that night with a complete overhaul.
I think it's going to need an overhaul. I don't think I want to pay up $3K for a rebuild when I can get a remanufactured for less then $2K. I know he builds good stuff, but thats too rich for my blood.

I think I cooked it by not having enough fluid in it and the fact that the fluid hadn't been flushed since 60K miles. I've got about 120K miles on the truck and about 70K of those are supercharged miles. I also think that it may partly be fluid shock (the myth everyone talks about)....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts