TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Toyota website, looking at the video of the new tacoma. Under the power section it reads "We don't supercharge our indy cars so why start now!!!" I think that this is a clear indication that Toyota has no plans for a 4 liter supercharger. I figured as much. The stock compression ratio is too high to support a bolt on supercharger. Oh well there goes that dream!

·
Registered
878 Posts
From what I was hearing... when they where testing for a S/C on the 4.0L 4 Runner they had sever issues with drivability and engine failure with the added boost. The solutions they found put the kit out of the price range that would make it marketable from the dealership.

Japan had a self imposed HP limit for cars they produce in or send to the US until recently...so this decision may be an effect of that...I believe it was 300HP japannesse spec or 262HP us spec that would have well been pushed passed with an S/C...they finally upped the output some on the Tundra V8 to 272HP but Toyota seems very Shy to put out the real Horse Power king motors until they cement the "Green car company" image they are currently enjoying IMO!

the S Runner is supposed to see a S/C kit available that will have dealer option and warranty from what I've read in the magazines...which makes sense because of their limited availability and a lower compression ratio by design!

but this may allow companies like Greddy and others to put out a kit that won't have the design issues like the current TRD kit...I believe when Greddy bid for and lost the contract to be a supplier of S/C kits they also had to agree not to compete with the kit to be released! which is a shame because they had all the issues of the current S/C addressed before they presented their kit to TRD
...only draw back is no warranted dealer installed option!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
tbrown said:
I was on the Toyota website, looking at the video of the new tacoma. Under the power section it reads "We don't supercharge our indy cars so why start now!!!" I think that this is a clear indication that Toyota has no plans for a 4 liter supercharger. I figured as much. The stock compression ratio is too high to support a bolt on supercharger. Oh well there goes that dream!
I think the 'why start now' part was referring to 'why start supercharging indys now.' I dont know much about indy racing, but wouldn't they be using turbos anyway? Turbos are a high rpm mod, supers are for lower-mid, typically where the gain is greatest.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Maybe the 'nips designed the 4.0L V6 so it wouldn't need to be supercharged :)
Let me know when you think you can participate here without making racist comments and I'll un-ban you.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There have been lots of warranty issues related to S/C. Too many for toyota to look the other way and ignore. They went to work, and delivered some 240 ish hp for the new taco. It is a better motor. And, there will already be some unseen warranty issues for the motor. (None so far) But they are hedging their bets. I have seen a stack of superchargers at their shop. I don't know how long it took to make the pile, but I can bet it wasn't cheap to deal with the pile of parts I was looking at. Someone else will step up and do the blower for toyota, but toyota has been burned by their present blower enough to make them gun shy. Be happy with the 240 for now, and the extra 2-4 mpg.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
im sure there will be plenty of options available for this truck in the near future

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Seen the new 'FJ Cruiser' concept? Without commenting on the differences, haha, the details say that the engine is a 3.4 with the TRD charger at 240hp. I guess its reliable enough to possibly go into production.

·
Registered
650 Posts
3.4 with the TRD charger at 240hp
The 3.4 is dead. I seriously doubt Toyota will use the 3.4 for anything new... especially supercharged. The TRD kit, as provided by Toyota is a joke anyway.

Brian

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kyota said:
Seen the new 'FJ Cruiser' concept? Without commenting on the differences, haha, the details say that the engine is a 3.4 with the TRD charger at 240hp. I guess its reliable enough to possibly go into production.
Yeah the 3.4 is no more! The FJ was just that a concept, that doesn't mean it will use the same power train as was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show. Depending on what platform they use for the FJ you can excpect the power train will most likely be the same.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
tbrown said:
The indy cars used to be turbocharged. I think since the tundra DC will soon have a diesel availible that is supposed to get 700 FT/LBS torque i dont see why not make a supercharger for the 4.0.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What ever happen to the TRD supercharger kit for the 2.7L I4?

Other than the TRD recleanable air filter, nothing was ever really made for the 2.7L. No headers, or cat back exhaust.

The TRD LSD, while it fits the 2.7L I4 powered Tacoma rear axle, was never promoted, nor advertised for it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think that toyota will intoduce a SC for the new 4.0. They are going to need to do somthing to counter the nissan that makes 20hp more. Also when toyota introduced the new taco they said in the press release that they were making a SC for the new 4.0. I have written toyota twice and they said that they dont have a sc in the works for the 4.0. I think it will happen envntually.

Later.

Chris

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CMB1998 said:
I think that toyota will intoduce a SC for the new 4.0. They are going to need to do somthing to counter the nissan that makes 20hp more. Also when toyota introduced the new taco they said in the press release that they were making a SC for the new 4.0. I have written toyota twice and they said that they dont have a sc in the works for the 4.0. I think it will happen envntually.

Later.

Chris
If Toyota has told you they don't have a supercharger in the works, why would you think that they will make one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
A joke?

Why is the 3.4 v-6 TRD charger a joke? To low compression? Or somthing I just dont know about, Cus I was thinking about that kit due to its compatability with my long as hell warranty. Thanks!

-Dennis Stiles

·
Registered
650 Posts
Why is the 3.4 v-6 TRD charger a joke?
Because they don't provide a way to get more fuel (the 7th injector is not available for pre-2000 trucks), and they don't provide electronics to retard the timing where needed (ping problem).

Of course, Gadget's great company fixed it with their kit. http://www.urdusa.com .

Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts