TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just finished watching a movie that was filmed in Australia, and just happen to "star" a newer (mid 90's?) Toyota Landcruiser. Being a bit of a diesel enthusiast, I instantly noticed that the vehicle was a turbo-charged diesel. Freak coincidence? Bad sound dubbing? Sweet mod?? Nope, it's stock!! I'd dump my V6 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on a Toyota TD.

After the movie I visited Toyota's Australian website, and yep, just about every car or truck they make is available (or comes standard) with a turbo diesel engine. From Landcruisers to the Hi-Lux (Tacoma 4-door equivelant), they all boast this same (IMO) awesome option.

So what gives?? Why are we getting the diesel run-around here in America?? I want more MPG, a longer engine life.... More durability.... Less pollution.

Oh, and BTW, just to show you how much of a run-around this is.... The Hi-Lux comes with a 5-speed stick; Wouldn't be suprised if it was solid axle front too!!

Another quick question; Anyone have experience importing cars to America?? Would this be CRAZY spendy??

Thanks,

Beave

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

I just finished watching a movie that was filmed in Australia, and just happen to "star" a newer (mid 90's?) Toyota Landcruiser. Being a bit of a diesel enthusiast, I instantly noticed that the vehicle was a turbo-charged diesel. Freak coincidence? Bad sound dubbing? Sweet mod?? Nope, it's stock!! I'd dump my V6 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on a Toyota TD.

After the movie I visited Toyota's Australian website, and yep, just about every car or truck they make is available (or comes standard) with a turbo diesel engine. From Landcruisers to the Hi-Lux (Tacoma 4-door equivelant), they all boast this same (IMO) awesome option.

So what gives?? Why are we getting the diesel run-around here in America?? I want more MPG, a longer engine life.... More durability.... Less pollution.

Oh, and BTW, just to show you how much of a run-around this is.... The Hi-Lux comes with a 5-speed stick; Wouldn't be suprised if it was solid axle front too!!

Another quick question; Anyone have experience importing cars to America?? Would this be CRAZY spendy??

Thanks,

Beave
North America is waiting for a cleaner burning diesel. At least that's what they keep on telling us...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is such crap!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but diesel is ALREADY cleaner burning than gas, right?? While it may be more offensive to the human nose, it IS better for the environment, if not from an emissions standpoint, than definately an efficiency standpoint, as a gallon of diesel carries TWICE the potential heat energy than the equal amount of gasoline. And what's up with bio-diesel?? We can MAKE gas instead of waiting for dinosaurs to turn into it ;)
This could turn into a pretty political matter, but I'm gonna leave it at that. =)

Just think this... Would you rather have 17MPG or 34MPG?? Engine running worry-free for 150K or 300K miles??

Beave

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Beave said:
That is such crap!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but diesel is ALREADY cleaner burning than gas, right?? While it may be more offensive to the human nose, it IS better for the environment, if not from an emissions standpoint, than definately an efficiency standpoint, as a gallon of diesel carries TWICE the potential heat energy than the equal amount of gasoline. And what's up with bio-diesel?? We can MAKE gas instead of waiting for dinosaurs to turn into it ;)
This could turn into a pretty political matter, but I'm gonna leave it at that. =)

Just think this... Would you rather have 17MPG or 34MPG?? Engine running worry-free for 150K or 300K miles??

Beave
There are companies in Canada that import flat bed, diesel, LC's...for use in industry....i.e. not street legal. I'm sure you could do the same thing in the States, and then use a stolen VIN to register it, or just use it on your farm.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
It is purely political and beurocratic. It is our goverment that discourages this.. The Automakers cannot make money selling diesel to The USA as a common power source. Unfortunate but I wouldn't put to many marbles in a jar to put down on a diesel Toyota Truck..unless it is greater than 6000#(or greater) GVR rig that is rated at 3/4 or 1 ton ... :rolleyes:

But nope to any hope of many compact diesels. The market and the regulations just won't allow it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Toyota is developing a big turbo diesel motor for the North American market as we speak to be released with the new Tundra possibly as early as 2006 but more likely as a 2007 in late 2006. I think we are going to start seeing a lot more diesel Toy's in the near future.

There has been mention of this in a few recent big automotive mags...

·
Registered
38 Posts
From watching the Top Gear shows based in the UK, diesels are really popular in luxury cars and commuters too. The diesels actually get better gas miliage than the hybrids and have more power as well. Hopefully we will start to see them as an option on more US vehicles.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Beave said:

Beave
Sorry to correct you, but you are wrong. Diesel does not burn cleaner than gasoline. It is a less refined product and therefore has more bad things in it to begin with, namely NOx and SOx (very, very bad things for the environment). However, since it is a less refined product, it also burns much easier. This is one of the reasons diesel engines get better gas milage. The question to ask is "Does the increase in fuel mileage make up for dirtier emissions?" I don't know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
American diesel is much "dirtier" than gas. European diesel is much cleaner burning than US diesel, and much less expensive over there than gas. In central PA, we are now starting to get bio-diesel. 80% standard diesel, 20% made from soy and corn oil. (you can actually make bio-diesel yourself) It's cleaner buring and the exhaust smells like french fries. It's a little more expensive though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just browsed through the Australian site. They have cool stuff! Factory bull bars, turbo diesels, etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah, while diesel may not put out as much greenhouse gas as a regular petrol engine, but it puts out alot of crap that leads to acid rain. Also the US govt has restrictions on how many vehicles can be sold with a diesel engine. You may get more miles per gallon but the cost of diesel is a bit more than regular unleaded gas. (2.10 diesel vs 1.75 87oct around here)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts