TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if anyone has installed shims and actually had the post lift drivetrain vibes go away or be tolerable enough to roll with? If you have what amount of lift vs. degree shim did the trick? Seems like many are resorting to the 1 piece drive shaft now but i would rather not if at all possible.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Was just wondering if anyone has installed shims and actually had the post lift drivetrain vibes go away or be tolerable enough to roll with? If you have what amount of lift vs. degree shim did the trick? Seems like many are resorting to the 1 piece drive shaft now but i would rather not if at all possible.....:rolleyes:
IMO the one piece DS is not a complete fix either. Mine worked very well before I put the Dakars on. Now I have a small vibe again. This issue seems to go a bit deeper than what we all think. I am now trying to get the new vibe out of the DL. I would sit back and lurk for a while and maybe myself or another member will get this worked out eventually and save you some money.:2cents:

·
Registered
322 Posts
The one piece driveshaft should correct the vibration issue only if you measure the flange angles and shim the axle to correct any difference in the angle. A 3" lift across a 67" driveline (fairly small u-joint angles) should be vibration free as long as the flanges are parallel to each other.

I am currently running a 2.75 degree shim and a .625" carrier bearing drop. I have reduced the vibration to a very small level and only detectable when first taking off and even then, I don't always notice it. It was really bad when I first installed the Dakars (3" lift).

I am ordering a one piece driveline because I think the carrier bearing mount will continue to degrade and the vibrations will increase.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Bluz, let us know how it works out for you. I have spent a shit load of time and a bit of cash trying to get the vibe to go away. Any additional info is appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i went ahead and installed 2 degree axle shims (1.5 inch rear lift) and they actually worked fairly well. The vibrations are barely noticeable now....

Bluz "I am ordering a one piece driveline because I think the carrier bearing mount will continue to degrade and the vibrations will increase."
Got my fingers crossed this takes a while to occur.....

To those that have not had good results with shims could it be that you installed 3 or 4 degree shims when you really only needed 2 degrees? Hmmm????

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 07 reg cab. I put the skyjacker 2 inch leafs in the rear and i dont really have a vib its more of a grinding sound on deceleration. I have 2 degree shims too anyone know what i should do. Ive heard that for acces and double they put a spacer between the drivshaft and the diff anyone know about this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 07 reg cab. I put the skyjacker 2 inch leafs in the rear and i dont really have a vib its more of a grinding sound on deceleration. I have 2 degree shims too anyone know what i should do. Ive heard that for acces and double they put a spacer between the drivshaft and the diff anyone know about this?

I have the 06 reg cab 4cyl. with 12k all stock (no lift) and it does that too.
on decel on the highway 4th-5th. Don't know what the hell it is but hearing that your does it too makes me feel a little better. So for you, I would assume it's not the leafs. BTW you got the 4 cyl right? what size tire did you do?

·
Registered
125 Posts
07 DC with Dakar springs. I have a 2.5" axle shim and no driveline shims. I have a slight vibe at take off but that is it. I have decided to live with it until something wears out and then I will get a solid driveshaft.

I have tried numerous combinations of degree shims and axle shims and found the combination I have above to be the best for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put the driveshaft spacer block in when I did my complete Old man Emu suspension and I have ZERO vibrations. None. My truck rides better than stock.

·
Registered
583 Posts
07 DC with Dakar springs. I have a 2.5" axle shim and no driveline shims. I have a slight vibe at take off but that is it. I have decided to live with it until something wears out and then I will get a solid driveshaft.

I have tried numerous combinations of degree shims and axle shims and found the combination I have above to be the best for me.
Now would be a good time to get that 1 piece driveshaft. Check my sig. ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I put the driveshaft spacer block in when I did my complete Old man Emu suspension and I have ZERO vibrations. None. My truck rides better than stock.
You have zero vibe? Not even a slight vibe when you first step on the gas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also have zero, nada, zip vibration. I wheeled the crap out of the truck yesterday; my skids're bashed all to hell, I high centered/powered over shit so many times I lost count, even tweaked the righ corner of my ARB bashing trees and rocks. I must have fully cycled my suspension a thousand times.

On the 103 mile drive home at speeds up to 70 mph....still zero vibrations. Amazing....steering wheel's still centered and it points straight. Also amazing that I still have an intact T-case, exhaust system, and trailer connector. I am missing a mirror and have a door scrape, but that's the good part.

It ain't easy running with a pack of Bronco IIs with an access cab. Smartest things I ever did were sliders and the ARB.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also have zero, nada, zip vibration. I wheeled the crap out of the truck yesterday; my skids're bashed all to hell, I high centered/powered over shit so many times I lost count, even tweaked the righ corner of my ARB bashing trees and rocks. I must have fully cycled my suspension a thousand times.

On the 103 mile drive home at speeds up to 70 mph....still zero vibrations. Amazing....steering wheel's still centered and it points straight. Also amazing that I still have an intact T-case, exhaust system, and trailer connector. I am missing a mirror and have a door scrape, but that's the good part.

It ain't easy running with a pack of Bronco IIs with an access cab. Smartest things I ever did were sliders and the ARB.
What is your shim setup? I have slight vibes between 20 and 25 mph mainly on deceleration and just before 60 mph and my truck is completely stock. I haven't taken it in yet. I've learned to live with it, I feel it's just the torque converter locking/unlocking (auto).

·
Registered
407 Posts
What is your shim setup? I have slight vibes between 20 and 25 mph mainly on deceleration and just before 60 mph and my truck is completely stock. I haven't taken it in yet. I've learned to live with it, I feel it's just the torque converter locking/unlocking (auto).
Only thing I've got is the carrier bearing drop ditty.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Just my update. After denting my old DS on rocks I am down to a lot less vibration with new DS. Its better but not gone. But before the dent in my DS I had zero vibe with 2" Deaver springs.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
None. Rides and drives better than stock in my opinion.

Did you use the spacer block on the driveshaft?
I went through all the normal mods and it still vibed, then upgraded to a 1 piece shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the rear vibration on my 05 sport. it was only on take off; up to about 15-20mph. not bad at all. i have the toytec aal with 2 degree shims. but after this weekend and greasing my u-joints it's gone! i only have 15000 miles on it, but when i was greasing i noticed that the factory grease i was pushing out would litterly run and sorta drip out. never seen anything like that before!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Hey all. I talked to Jesse at High Angle Drive Line yesterday and we are working on a fix for the 05+ tacos with the drive line issues. After talking with him I found out that there is more to it than just changing your drive shaft. There are other issues involved to get our trucks ridding right again. I'll go into more detail when I have more time but I just wanted to let you know that there is a correct way to fix it.

I found Jesse to be a very nice guy and smart when it comes to drive lines and he loves the Toyota products. I'll keep you all up to date asap.

P.S. I've tried the shims myself and nope, they don't work for our trucks. The one piece driveshaft will work if properly constructed by someone who knows our trucks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hey all. I talked to Jesse at High Angle Drive Line yesterday and we are working on a fix for the 05+ tacos with the drive line issues. After talking with him I found out that there is more to it than just changing your drive shaft. There are other issues involved to get our trucks ridding right again. I'll go into more detail when I have more time but I just wanted to let you know that there is a correct way to fix it.

I found Jesse to be a very nice guy and smart when it comes to drive lines and he loves the Toyota products. I'll keep you all up to date asap.

P.S. I've tried the shims myself and nope, they don't work for our trucks. The one piece driveshaft will work if properly constructed by someone who knows our trucks.
Great info, thanks. Looking forward to hearing about any other decent fix out there. I haven't had time to play with mine lately, working insane hours.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts