TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a Power tank but they really like them and want an arm and a leg. A guy I went wheeling with last year had a had a home made "power tank" and I was impressed to see my 35's go from 4psi to 40 in around a minute.

I just found two 10lb NO2 tanks that I had in the attic and I'd like to use those if possible. Looks like I'd just need a regulator and an air chuck fitting. I already have on board air and just swapped out my MV50 compressor for a new one. Today it took almost 30min to get all four from 8 to 40psi.

I am pretty unfamiliar with "tankology" so any help would be great. I'm probably gonna take them down to a welding supply place and see what they can come up with.

Current setup

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't know about NO2. I assume you're trying to have the bottle converted to CO2? You could try calling a welding supply store or a fire extinguisher supplier and see what they say.

If it doesn't work out just shop around on CL for a used co2 tank, I got a 20lb tank for 40 bucks.

If you just want to use the co2 tank to fill tires get a fixed regulator they're cheaper. This is the one I have:

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/off-road-air-systems/hyperflo-150psi-non-adjustable-co2-regulator/
$55

If you shop around you can get the whole co2 setup for a little over a hundred bucks, that's about what mine was.

This is a jeep website but has some really good information on building your own co2 system:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/build-your-own-co2-tank-system-high-quality-lowest-cost-1208163/

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I saw that thread. I've just got to figure out what regulator will fit this tank or what adapter I may need.

What do they fill your tank to (max PSI)?

How long to fill a tire with that 150lb regulator?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thanks man, I saw that thread. I've just got to figure out what regulator will fit this tank or what adapter I may need.

It's pretty fast, I haven't timed it. I have an arb compressor under the hood that I hook up to one of my tires first to save co2. Then I'll use my co2 to fill up the other three tires and I'll be done with them well before the air compressor finishes the first one.

If I'm using the co2 to fill up other peoples tires too sometimes the regulator gets too cold which causes it to come out a little slower but still way faster than a portable compressor.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts

CO2 tanks aren't filled as a gas, they are filled as a liquid. The result is the tank pressure fluctuates. The way a CO2 tank fills your tires, is by boiling off the liquid. That's why 20 lb's of liquid CO2, can fill so many tires, and so much volume. It's because a gas occupies more volume than a liquid.

I'm not too sure, but a N2 tank cannot be convered to a CO2 tank. If it was, You would have a HELL of a time finding someone to fill it. It's not just like you can drop by a corner lot and have it filled. There's rules and regs to follow...

I run a 150psi regulator, and each tire takes about 1.5 mins or so. Never really timed it before. If I wanted it to go faster, I could remove the schrader...

It's pretty fast, I haven't timed it. I have an arb compressor under the hood that I hook up to one of my tires first to save co2. Then I'll use my co2 to fill up the other three tires and I'll be done with them well before the air compressor finishes the first one.

If I'm using the co2 to fill up other peoples tires too sometimes the regulator gets too cold which causes it to come out a little slower but still way faster than a portable compressor.
Yeah, watch out though. In a cold environment like the snow, and releasing too much co2, too quickly, will freeze the CO2 liquid into dry ice. I usually wrap my tank when I'm filling up after snow wheeling to prevent.

FWIW, here's powertanks chart for filling up. I don't use monster valves...

http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I'm pretty sure Nitrous Oxide works the same way as CO2. It also is filled as a liquid then boils off to a gas when the pressure is reduced. That's what all those blow off valves and angled tank mounts in nitrous systems are about. Just like propane or LNG BTW.
Too bad he doesn't have a true Nitrogen tank or I'd swap him. I want to convert a CO2 bottle I've never used to nitrogen for filling shocks and what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts