TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 V6 prerunner has 97k miles on it. I did the timing belt at about 91k and replaced tensioner, w-pump, and both idler pullies. Ive had the truck since 48k and have used Mobil 1 10w30 since then. I change it every 4k. This motor is getting noisy as hell tho and its really aggravating. At idle, I can clearly hear the valves ticking when standing next the either side whee wells. It also has always has the common "ticking" noise under load and acceleration. I dont get this, my brother just got a 99 4-runner with 70k miles and its runs almost silently, even under load, no ticking noise. I guess I need to do a valve adjustment for one, I really figured i wouldnt have to with how well I maintain my engine. Anybody else have a higher mileage V6 that seems to keep getting noisier? Sorry for the long post guys, thanks in advance.

-Ben

·
Registered
166 Posts
At 180K, mine has a little of the sewing machine noise, but nothing I would consider extraordinary. My Jeep 4.0L was noiser when it was new!
Good 'ol pushrod 1 cam high-tech for you.

-Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 04 3.4 is and has been making that TICK TICK TICK sound from the valve covers since new. I bought it with 4 miles on it! I have 10,000 miles now and its getting louder. The funny thing is that I use Mobil1 also. ?????????????
I thought it was normal, let me know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmmmmm...

Here's a thought- my friend who I bougth the truck from always ran 10W30 Mobil 1. He told me when he ran 5W30 once a long time ago, the engine got loud, and he didn't like it.

Maybe try 10W30?

-Dave

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Gadget said:
Properly adjusting the valve lash as needed is part of a well maintained vehicle.
Beat me to it Gadget..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gadget said:
Properly adjusting the valve lash as needed is part of a well maintained vehicle.

gadget,

what should i adjust the gap to between the the valve and lifters when doing a valve adustment on my 2000 v6. I've done a valve adjustment before but this will be the first time on my tacoma.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Adjust it to factory specs. Get the needed special service tools,a feeler gauge, a micrometer, and a FSM. Then once you figure out what size shims you need order them from your local dealer and put them in.

I can tell you this, it is not an easy job at all. I recommend that you do it in conjunction with a timing belt change so you can easily pull the cams out to access the shims.

Gadget

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gadget said:
Adjust it to factory specs. Get the needed special service tools,a feeler gauge, a micrometer, and a FSM. Then once you figure out what size shims you need order them from your local dealer and put them in.

I can tell you this, it is not an easy job at all. I recommend that you do it in conjunction with a timing belt change so you can easily pull the cams out to access the shims.

Gadget

thanks,

I'll definitely give it a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gadget, are you sure the cams must be removed to adjust the valves?
Ive never done it on my truck, but I know some of the older 3 liter engines can be adjusted by a tool that presses the bucket down so the shim can be removed without removing the cams. I just put on a new T-belt not too long ago and sure as hell dont want to have to tear it all apart again. I may be worrying too much, but my engine definitely seems noisier at idle.

-Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts