TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch pedal squeeks and skreeches loudly everythime I press the pedal in. I have sprayed it down with lube, but that doesn't seem to help for very long. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it? It's a 96 taco, but everything(inc the clutch pedal) came out of a 98 4runner.

·
Registered
455 Posts
swank501 said:
My clutch pedal squeeks and skreeches loudly everythime I press the pedal in. I have sprayed it down with lube, but that doesn't seem to help for very long. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it? It's a 96 taco, but everything(inc the clutch pedal) came out of a 98 4runner.
What kind of lube did you use? i had the same problem over a year ago and used white lithium in a spray can. Haven't had a problem since. If you used WD-40 just throw that crap out and never buy it again, that stuff sucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is it the bushing or the spring? I had this problem, too - it was the clutch spring, on the static (fixed) end. There is some rotation of the spring hook on the bracket. Some dry graphite lube solved that problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I jumped in the ol Tacoma the other day after not driving it for several weeks and the clutch pedal squallered like crazy. So rather than squirt the standard wd-40 up there i grabbed a can of Motul chain lupe that I use for my shifter kart and cured the situation. Chain lubes have an additive that makes the lube stick where you put it rather than just run off and drip.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have an 01 and mine did the exact same thing. I sprayed the hell out of it with WD40 and that worked, however it seemed to loosen up my clutch pedal alot so it rattles. I guess just replace the spring as thats whats squeaking. I know i will when i get the chance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
there is a good write up in the tech/faq to replace the clutch bushings and the cost for the bushing is a couple bucks. The release spring is about $20 at the dealership if you feel the need to replace it also.

·
Registered
739 Posts
you need to lube under the little black boot you can see in front of the fire wall, i think its the throw out, but you need to use anti seize, my buddy at toyota did mine not too long ago, and seems all the tacos have this problem according to him

·
Registered
530 Posts
Guapotaco said:
you need to lube under the little black boot you can see in front of the fire wall, i think its the throw out, but you need to use anti seize, my buddy at toyota did mine not too long ago, and seems all the tacos have this problem according to him

X2
it's calld the slave cylinder..every toyota 5 speed i ever owned had the sqeek,pulling the rubber boot back from the slave cylinder and spraying wd-40 worked every time for me..last about 6 to 8 months depending on how much water you go through.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In regards to TacoT96's post...

This is exactly where mine squeaks as well. I use teflon lube but it only lasts for so long. I think I'm going to try to find some marine grade grease and dab it on there... Also, check and see if the rubber seal on your firewall right by it is loose, cause if so (like mine) it lets dirt and stuff get in there and it also drys out the lube. FYI.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Take the spring and bushing out altogether and don't look back. The spring doesn't contribute to the working mechanism of the clutch assembly but instead functions as a tension spring for pedal "feel". I took all my junk out and now the pedal feels like my old '85.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
freejake3 said:
Take the spring and bushing out altogether and don't look back. The spring doesn't contribute to the working mechanism of the clutch assembly but instead functions as a tension spring for pedal "feel". I took all my junk out and now the pedal feels like my old '85.

did you just put a spring in there like what is on the brake pedal? i have heard about doing something like that but i wondered what the noticable difference was

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
freejake3 said:
LMFAO.....
I guess that's 1 way of fixing it..........

My junk squeeks too.....I'm just too dam'd lazy to rip the shyt apart to fix a stupid squeek that comes and goes....
I'm gonna try that cycle chain lube.....I have a few cans around here somewhere...

·
Registered
539 Posts
tacotoy said:
did you just put a spring in there like what is on the brake pedal? " . . . i wondered what the noticable difference was
I didn't replace anything actually. Couldn't really tell that much of a difference after removing all that nonsense. Maybe coming off the floor the pedal felt less restricted. Stick a small pry bar in there and yank that spring out. I'll look for the thread describing the process...........

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

Yes, lithium grease is available at Autozone/O'Reilly, any of the auto-parts stores, but the stuff is nasty! Basically grease in a can. But white. And lithium-ish. I did the WD-40 thing for a while in my '99, but WD-40 sucks arse, so I used some Corrosion-X. Its in a red can, and is made for fishing/boating applications. It keeps stuff from re-rusting pretty good. I used it once and my clutch never squeaked again. Now my '04 is starting to squeak, so I'll prolly get some more Corrosion-X just for that reason. Good luck!
-Dan
________
girlfriends pics

·
Registered
489 Posts
white lithium grease is the way to go. it turns into a solid-looking thing but is still very "lubricative". wd40 is not meant as a lubricant but rather a corrosion preventative. it acting as a lubricant is a short-lasing side-effect

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a cabinet full of different types of lubes, greases and sprays that I've used on all the annoying noises that my truck makes. They all seem to work for a short time. You can do like a toy dealership told me and not take the truck offroad (wtf). Or you can take the same advice as I gave someone asking about a clutch fork noise. Use the volume knob on whatever head unit you have and turn it up just loud enough to cover up all annoying noises. That's what worx the best for me. Noises are just part of driving and the occasional use and abuse of offroad enjoyment.

Nate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts